Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I know Finland isn't Scandinavia but I'll invade anyhow because it's mämmi-time! They've finally stocked it up in shops. One of my favourite traditional easter-period finnish products.

It's delicious as fuck.Especially with some vanilla sauce.

Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I like Danish cuisine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd
    What is this sludge? it does look yummy.
    You fell for it. Now read his sig. That can't be a coincidence.

I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.
    Edit:

Originally mämmi was eaten during Lent.[clarification needed] Its laxative properties were associated with purification and purging.[citation needed]
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A4mmi
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2018-03-13 at 11:33 AM.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mämmi is disgusting. Not really an expert on Scandinavian cuisine but I love Gravlax. Finnish cuisine is really bland but it isn't bad. (Dutch cuisine is quite bland as well so there's not much difference)

I quite like Karjalanpaisti:

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    What is this sludge? it does look yummy.
    It's mämmi, traditional finnish easter food.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A4mmi

Mämmi (Finnish pronunciation: [ˈmæmmi]), Swedish memma, is a traditional Finnish Easter[clarification needed] dessert.

Mämmi is traditionally made of water, rye flour, and powdered malted rye, seasoned salt, and dried powdered Seville orange zest. The mixture is then allowed to go through a slow natural sweetening process before being baked in an oven until set with Maillard reaction. Preparation takes many hours, and after baking the mämmi is stored chilled for three to four days before being ready to eat.[1] Instead of being allowed to sweeten naturally, traditionally, commercially made mämmi is usually seasoned with dark molasses. Traditional mämmi tastes aromatic sweet, having only up to 2% sugar, but commercially produced mämmi can have as much as 20% sugar and tastes different, not so aromatic sweet. Mämmi has up to 10% protein and is rich in trace elements.[citation needed] Mämmi was traditionally stored in small bowls made of birch bark called tuokkonen or rove. Finnish packaging still prints birch bark-like texture on the carton boxes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    You fell for it. Now read his sig. That can't be a coincidence.

Edit:

I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.
    What? Mämmi is genuinely delicious

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

It's very very bland. Only good thing are swedish meatballs with cranberry sauce.

Love some frozen gravlax (making it myself), cut a few thin slices and put it on a fresh toast, absolute delight.

Deleted
    Scandinavian cuisine number one, all other nations inferior.

Two things come to mind when I think of Scandinavian food.

IKEA meatballs.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2018-03-13 at 01:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, I feel like there's some representation missing...

- - - Updated - - -

'Smørebrød' (basically open sandwiches, quite a hit but mostly at tourists).

'Stegt flæsk med persillesovs' (Panfried pork (specifically the same bit where the bacon is from. Served with parsley sauce).

'Brændende Kærlighed' (Basically, mash with diced bacon, onion, seasoning etc).

'Æbleflæsk' (Apple sauce and pork/bacon).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Scandinavian cuisine is awesome, especially when compared to french,british or american IMO. But nothing beats indian or asian cuisine in general

Deleted
    Scandinavian food always looked uninspiring

10+ Year Old Account
    A little bit of danish..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Meh, I feel like there's some representation missing...

- - - Updated - - -

'Smørebrød' (basically open sandwiches, quite a hit but mostly at tourists).

'Stegt flæsk med persillesovs' (Panfried pork (specifically the same bit where the bacon is from. Served with parsley sauce).

'Brændende Kærlighed' (Basically, mash with diced bacon, onion, seasoning etc).

'Æbleflæsk' (Apple sauce and pork/bacon).
    So what you felt was missing was Danish food?

Always better then dutch cuisine... POTATO'S EVERYWHERE! HANDLE THEM!. Yeah.

How exciting, another thread about scandinavia.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    The Northern European countries have such horrible, bland cuisines.. /shudder.

My own countries cuisine included of course.
    They all look so plain just like I expected. I mean hell most of them are meat and potatoes in the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Monica7 View Post
    I liked Scandinavian cuisine when I was in Finland
    Finland is not part of Scandinavia tho'.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    Scandinavian cuisine number one, all other nations inferior.
    Greek, Italian, inferior? All the cuisines of Asia inferior? Mexican inferior?

Deleted
    Historically, everyday food in the scandic countries have been primarily just to nurture you and feed you for the smallest amount of money, so that translates into pretty uninspiring foods.

People maybe don't realize but most of the nordic countries are really close to, or inside the arctic circle. That said, I love traditional swedish dishes and love them more when you get creative with them and use products from all over the world.