Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

Now possible to play WoW with a Console Controller

Not sure this has been talked about before, if not here we go.. Well I came across another BelluarGaming video, and well someone has done it someone has made an program/addon called WoWMapper and ConsolePort that allows you to use a console controller to play the game..

With this being released it could set a precedence and show Blizzard that it is quite plausible for WoW to be ported to consoles, which I am not entirely sure myself but who knows.. But it does make one wonder but for those curious one concern would be what looks like having to have WoWMapper running in the background for this to work and well we all know it is never wise to do that..
    Last edited by grexly75; 2018-03-13 at 04:04 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post

Not sure this has been talked about before, if not here we go.. Well I came across another BelluarGaming video, and well someone has done it someone has made an program/addon called WoWMapper and ConsolePort that allows you to use a console controller to play the game..

With this being released it could set a precedence and show Blizzard that it is quite plausible for WoW to be ported to consoles, which I am not entirely sure myself but who knows.. But it does make one wonder..
    What do you think the massive prune and "streamlining" served to? Not in vain Celestalon talked about playing WoW in a tablet, they must have been doing (or attempting, at least) that internally for quite some time.

I'm sure you CAN, but I for one hate the way the game feels with the "action cam", and why would I sacrifice the control I have with a 12-grid mouse and keyboard just to hold a console controller? Sure, questing has room for varied gameplay options, but that's about it.

I can see that this'll just degrade into another "hurr pruning"-memefest though, so...

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    This isn't really new, back in MoP there was a streamer who streamed his raids with an xbox 360 controllers and IIRC the guild was actually pretty good. It was a fun watch at the time.
    Ahh k was not sure if this idea was new or old, just seems like this could be more refined, though the idea of having a program running in the background may be a bit iffy..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I'm sure you CAN, but I for one hate the way the game feels with the "action cam", and why would I sacrifice the control I have with a 12-grid mouse and keyboard just to hold a console controller? Sure, questing has room for varied gameplay options, but that's about it.

I can see that this'll just degrade into another "hurr pruning"-memefest though, so...
    Yeah that would be the problem for those who suffer motion sickness and can't handle the action cam..

Yes it's been talked about a lot.

It's cool.

I do it when questing, not raiding.

You sacrifice min-maxing for the comfort of playing while reclining, laying down, whatever.

...We done here?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    What do you think the massive prune and "streamlining" served to? Not in vain Celestalon talked about playing WoW in a tablet, they must have been doing (or attempting, at least) that internally for quite some time.
    Yeah makes a lot of sense now with the "streamlining" of abilities to use fewer buttons..

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    He used a tablet as a mouse, he did not "play on a tablet", akin to using a trackball instead of a standard mouse, don't spread misinformation.

OT: Yea its been around for awhile, but the game wasn't built around it like FFXIV was so its mediocre at best. (Btw... FFXIV has a ton of skills per class and works just fine with a controller... so leave pruning garbage out of it)

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It could've worked without prunning. Final Fantasy XIV has a marvelous controller system and their rotations are still actual rotations - usually you have sequences of skills to use, which can almost fill 2 action bars of stuff - all playable on a controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    [video=youtube;EgvmDMBv6co]

With this being released it could set a precedence and show Blizzard that it is quite plausible for WoW to be ported to consoles, which I am not entirely sure myself but who knows.. But it does make one wonder but for those curious one concern would be what looks like having to have WoWMapper running in the background for this to work and well we all know it is never wise to do that..
    Not really a new thing, you've been able to do this for years and years with JoyToKey.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Not really a new thing, you've been able to do this for years and years with JoyToKey.
    Ahh k was not sure as never really took notice of things like this till now.. lol

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    First heard of people doing this in arenas in TBC. Nothing new here.

very old news...

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    It could've worked without prunning. Final Fantasy XIV has a marvelous controller system and their rotations are still actual rotations - usually you have sequences of skills to use, which can almost fill 2 action bars of stuff - all playable on a controller.
    Game was built around it though, so it works really well, and movement is FANTASTIC with a controller in that game.

Demon Hunters are acctualy very viable to officialy function with a PS4 controller, now for the other classes im not sure but this video makes it work in a great way

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfezen View Post
    Demon Hunters are acctualy very viable to officialy function with a PS4 controller, now for the other classes im not sure but this video makes it work in a great way
    Yeah this is the thing, not sure what the previous systems entailed but with what was shown in the video, it seems what is shown in the video to be more refined.. Not sure I would ever use it since I am old school in that I prefer mouse and keyboard..

1. search youtube for "wow steering wheel"
    2. ???
    3. profit :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    It has been possible for a while though you gotta be 100% confident with your controller mapping or else you'll just feel like another slow player.

- - - Updated - - -

And a bonus comment, no, I do not hope it comes to the console.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by torish View Post
    Why not? I think it would be a huge success on PS4 or XBOX. Just remember FFXIV or Teso on consoles.
    Well, yeah, remember a game that had to die and be remade before it was a success, and another game which main customers are console. Though, that isn't the topic.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well, yeah, remember a game that had to die and be remade before it was a success, and another game which main customers are console. Though, that isn't the topic.
    FFXIV having to be remade was more of a development issue then anything related to this discussion, hell it wasn't even ever released on console in its original form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    FFXIV having to be remade was more of a development issue then anything related to this discussion, hell it wasn't even ever released on console in its original form.
    I wasn't talking about it reaching console on its original base.