Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Dog dies after United flight attendant puts it in overhead bin

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ai...ad-bin-n856361

A dog died on a United Airlines flight from Houston to New York after a flight attendant ordered the animal be put in the plane's overhead bin, the airline admitted Tuesday.

United said it was taking responsibility for the incident on the Monday night flight, noting that pets should never be put in the overhead storage compartment.
    "This was a tragic accident that should never have occurred," the airline said in a statement, adding that it expressed its "deepest condolences to the family."
    Other passengers posted photos of the customer and her children after the flight.

Passengers say they heard barking during the flight and didn't know that the dog had died until the plane landed at LaGuardia Airport.

Chicago-based United said Tuesday it is investigating the incident and talking to the flight attendant, who was unnamed.
    Hope the owner sues them for everything they are worth, Fuck United Airlines they are such a shitty company.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    Cant wait to see how much they get sued for.

"Tragic accident", thats not what this is.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Cant wait to see how much they get sued for.

"Tragic accident", thats not what this is.
    Ya I hope the owner gets them for everything they can.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I don’t get it.. how did it die? Should be plenty of air for such a small animal on such a short flight.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

There was already a thread on this, it was on the same page when you posted this lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    I don’t get it.. how did it die? Should be plenty of air for such a small animal on such a short flight.
    Why do people keep asking this question? Do they not understand how oxygen works?

Fun experiment, let's kidnap you and put you into the the trunk of a car that is already filled with suitcases and see if you'll have enough breathable air while in a panicked state for 4+ hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    And nobody let it out when it started barking? Or stopped to check on it?

This may be a major fuckup on the part of the airline but...what about the other people?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    And nobody let it out when it started barking? Or stopped to check on it?

This may be a major fuckup on the part of the airline but...what about the other people?
    Everyone involved sounds like they're missing a few brain cells, to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    what about the other people?
    While I don't want to do the whole victim blame thing... Yeah.

I mean, if someone said they had to put my cat up there, I would most definitely leave the plane and miss my flight before doing that. Surely SOME person on the entire plane saw this and went "well hold on here..."
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Think Air united should stop allowing pets on their planes tbh, since they keep making dumb decision and end up costing the lives of a innocent animal. Better safe than sorry.
    Last edited by Raging Penguin; 2018-03-14 at 12:59 AM.
    Nobody likes you, everyone left you, they're all out without you havin fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    While I don't want to do the whole victim blame thing... Yeah.

I mean, if someone said they had to put my cat up there, I would most definitely leave the plane and miss my flight before doing that. Surely SOME person on the entire plane saw this and went "well hold on here..."
    Its United, so if you don't comply with their requests they beat the shit out of you and drag you away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Its United, so if you don't comply with their requests they beat the shit out of you and drag you away.
    I was honestly going to say I'd punch a steward(ess) before letting them put my cat up in the bin... But really... I'd just walk off the plane.

But if they somehow got into a situation where they 'forced' me to? Like if the plane was already in flight and they demanded they do that? Shit yeah. bring on a marshall. I'll go down swinging long before they get my kitty stuffed in a box.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Why do people keep asking this question? Do they not understand how oxygen works?

Fun experiment, let's kidnap you and put you into the the trunk of a car that is already filled with suitcases and see if you'll have enough breathable air while in a panicked state for 4+ hours.
    Well, you might want to research a bit more. First off, neither of those situations are a air tight sealed compartment. So, there is no real lack of oxygen. What will kill you though is the build up of CO2. Or heat exhaustion. But not lack of oxygen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Build up of CO2 was the blame for the death of the giant bunny they killed. In that case they cremated it before a necropsy could be performed which was a really stupid move and probably did them no favors in the ensuing lawsuit. This time they are paying for the necropsy.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was honestly going to say I'd punch a steward(ess) before letting them put my cat up in the bin... But really... I'd just walk off the plane.

But if they somehow got into a situation where they 'forced' me to? Like if the plane was already in flight and they demanded they do that? Shit yeah. bring on a marshall. I'll go down swinging long before they get my kitty stuffed in a box.
    I can't imagine what the owners were thinking. Not trying to blame them but how could you ever think putting your pet in a small enclosure is a good idea.

I would fight someone before petting my cat in there, or in any situation I didn't think he would be 100% safe in.

10+ Year Old Account
    That article sounds like it's missing a lot of information.

Did the woman who brought the dog onboard notify them she had the dog with her? Or was she trying to smuggle it on to save on pet fees?

Why wasn't the dog in a proper pet carrier? Those things wouldn't fit in an overhead.

What type of dog was it? Something small, obviously, but did the attendant KNOW they were putting an animal in overhead?

Why the fuck did the woman allow it? Why didn't she get it out when it started barking? Why didn't the woman ask for clarification from another attendant? Why was she stupid enough to think this was the rule? Why the fuck didn't ANYONE do anything about it?

These are rather important questions. The first one could really turn this story around on the owner, rather than the attendant. All this article really says is "Attendant puts a dog in the overhead, it dies, airline apologizes, and in other news --"
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

"Tragic accident", my ass. What a terrible thing to do.

they may have lost their dog, but they'll get over it with a new dog from the payout.

oh and a new car or 5.

oh and a new house.

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    Well, you might want to research a bit more. First off, neither of those situations are a air tight sealed compartment. So, there is no real lack of oxygen. What will kill you though is the build up of CO2. Or heat exhaustion. But not lack of oxygen.
    How much available oxygen do you think is accessible via that tiny ass crack in overhead bin compartments? Also yes the CO2 is the most relevant part.

- - - Updated - - -

Punching them is the wrong solution. What you should do is whip out your phone and record what is happening, and if possible get the stewardess to somehow acknowledge/reiterate that she suggested putting the animal in the overhead bin.

7+ Year Old Account
    LOL. United flight is a joke and always a joke

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Build up of CO2 was the blame for the death of the giant bunny they killed. In that case they cremated it before a necropsy could be performed which was a really stupid move and probably did them no favors in the ensuing lawsuit. This time they are paying for the necropsy.
    Cremation before necropsy was their standard operating procedure before these incidents started getting media attention. It was pretty fucked up.