Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You don't actually have to put that in your wedding.
    Am sure you don't...would be curious how many people actually take it out. Going to go out on a limb here and assume it's the vast minority.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    An oath doesn't create an obligation outside of a legal context, such as an oath sworn to not lie or mislead in court.
    I disagree, it goes against the foundation of society...ever wonder why it was put into legal context to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Karaoke View Post

I disagree, it goes against the foundation of society...ever wonder why it was put into legal context to begin with?
    No, it does not go against foundation of society as we have since long separated religion from the legal framework.

nothing needs explained... who cares
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Nobody in the west confuse shit. If you are part of an arranged marriage and want to marry, its an arranged marriage. If you are part of an arranged marriage and want to get the fuck out, its forced marriage. Forcing people to do stuff is always wrong, no matter your culture, religion or what ever else shit you think give you the rights to remove someone elses.
    QFT.

People can easily be mislead to miss established nuances by e.g. omitting a few words and/or spinning while simplifying matters in an attempt to communicate. Worst part is it's often not even done intentionally or deliberately as OPs case appears to be an example of. Just people who genuinely want to help while lacking the skills and education to do so...
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

No, it does not go against foundation of society as we have since long separated religion from the legal framework.
    well that's out of left field. im not discussing religion. do they teach religion was the foundation of society in sweden?

either way, im discussing the marriage oath (or any oath for that matter), what it means, and the ramifications of not upholding that oath. You seem to believe it's okay to break oaths out of convenience, and I disagree.

Gotta say that promising to love you...until I don't...that's kinda a non-starter.

well that's out of left field. im not discussing religion. do they teach religion was the foundation of society in sweden?

either way, im discussing the marriage oath (or any oath for that matter), what it means, and the ramifications of not upholding that oath. You seem to believe it's okay to break oaths out of convenience, and I disagree.
    Marriage is a religious act. For oaths to create anything even resembling obligation, it's backed up by threat of reprisals if you break the oath. It's impossible to respond with reprisal in case of a marriage falling apart unless you live in a place where they have not separated the state and religion from each other and as such there is no obligation to fulfill said oath.
    Last edited by Player Twelve; 2018-03-14 at 07:52 PM.

Marriage here can be done by a judge...soo...

Marriage is a religious act. For oaths to create anything even resembling obligation, it's backed up by threat of reprisals if you break the oath. It's impossible to respond with reprisal in case of a marriage falling apart unless you live in a place where they have not separated the state and religion from each other and as such there is no obligation to fulfill said oath and the one breaking the oath is punished.
    Leaving the religious part of out it since I don't see the relevance to breaking oath. I'd argue there are other reprisals (financial, social, communal, family, etc.) with some being more impactful than others.

I get what you're saying, but I'm missing the benefit of making the oath if it doesn't mean anything to either party. Why even do it at that point? Why not just continue to date until you no longer want to date (if that point ever comes)?

better title : i want to explain marriage to whitey!

more catchy.

also i'm making a board game, i want to explain freedom of choice to brown skinned women.

i expect death threats by the end of the week thank you.

Leaving the religious part of out it since I don't see the relevance to breaking oath.
    You only swear an oath when you marry in a church(Or other religious place). I've been to a civil marriage and it was basically:

"You have declared that you wish to enter a marriage with each other."

"Do you Name Name wish to take this Name Name as your wife/husband?"

They respond yes, they ask the other one the same, they say yes.

"I now pronounce you makar(Idk what the equivalent of that is in english since it's a gender neutral term)"

No oaths.

Then you get some papers as proof of it. Rather short compared to a wedding in a church.

I get what you're saying, but I'm missing the benefit of making the oath if it doesn't mean anything to either party. Why even do it at that point? Why not just continue to date until you no longer want to date (if that point ever comes)?
    Tradition. Most people in Sweden aren't some devout believers in Christianity yet most marriages take place in church, because of traditions.
    Last edited by Player Twelve; 2018-03-14 at 08:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    Can someone please explain to me how this isn't spam? Its like you go through your facebook feed and instead of ignoring clickbait ads... you click on them... and worse you regurgitate them here... without any thought or reason.
    Then click ignore and piss off lol it isn't difficult

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    This. Europe has a rich story of arranged mariages.
    Yes, we also had witch burnings and public executions, don't see those around these days either.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    The West had and understands arranged marriages. We just don't do it anymore
    There are tons of arranged, or rather, forced marriages going on in the US, among white people.
    I've no idea what to write here.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of houses and hotels on property like in Monopoly you trade in goats and chickens and the woman is the property.

Am sure you don't...would be curious how many people actually take it out. Going to go out on a limb here and assume it's the vast minority.

- - - Updated - - -

Look it up then. I mean I could literally go down to a courthouse and just sign my name along with my partner and BOOM married. You can have clowns dance at your wedding and have a mime officiate. I've been to lots of weddings and all of them were different. Most of them had custom vows and I don't recall always hearing "til death do us part" .... which is really a metaphor anyway, since most religious people think you would be reunited in heaven.

10+ Year Old Account
    Marriage as a business agreement makes more sense than the mantrap that it has devolved into in western culture.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Marriage as a business agreement makes more sense than the mantrap that it has devolved into in western culture.
    Where has a woman hurt you? And the problem is, it is an agreement done by other people. Not by the couple.

10+ Year Old Account
    The West understands arranged marriage. We used to do it.

We discovered it doesn't mesh well with a free and tolerant society.

So, ya know, there's that.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Marriage is a one sided contract and is a crap deal for men in general. Marriage is an outdated concept that just doesn't apply to modern people anymore. Her board game should have a spot on it like monopoly that has a "go directly to jail" but instead it should say "get divorce raped".