Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question about medieval peasant head gear?

Medieval head gear, what do you suppose the long tube coming off the back of the head is for? It has a name, "lilripipe".

Seems like a waste of cloth and I don't think peasants would've wasted money like that.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

For hanging one’s self once one realizes how much it sucks to be a medieval peasant.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

If it was thicker I could see it used as a scarf or something to keep the dirt from the face.
    As it is...possibly a fashion trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    [IMG]
    Medieval head gear, what do you suppose the long tube coming off the back of the head is for? It has a name, "lilripipe".

Damn, even Google is all, "early 17th century: from medieval Latin liripipium ‘tippet of a hood, cord,’ of unknown origin."

Wikipedia goes on to say, "The word is believed to originate from the Medieval Latin term liripipium, which is of unsure origin. Webster's Dictionary suggests it is a corruption of cleri ephippium ("clergy's tippet")", which would make sense if it was worn in a religious way.

Anyway, why do I have collars on my shirt? What?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Damn, even Google is all, "early 17th century: from medieval Latin liripipium ‘tippet of a hood, cord,’ of unknown origin."

Wikipedia goes on to say, "The word is believed to originate from the Medieval Latin term liripipium, which is of unsure origin. Webster's Dictionary suggests it is a corruption of cleri ephippium ("clergy's tippet")", which would make sense if it was worn in a religious way.

Collars can serve useful purposes such as protection from sunburns. Only rednecks wear a t-shirt if they are going to be out in the sun for hours.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-03-15 at 03:12 AM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

its a medieval condom. They were packin back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Collars can serve useful purposes such as protection from sunburns. Only rednecks wear a t-shirt if they are going to be out in the sun for hours.
    That’s no shirt and a pair of “jorts “

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOut View Post
    its a medieval condom. They were packin back then.
    ROFL!!. Good one!
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Conspicuous consumption was a thing, that is part of the reason there were sumptuary laws. Long, flowing drapes and billows were part of fashion back then and you can find examples of this kind of thing in various forms from shoes, through sleeves, to hoods.

a fashion which appears very often in medieval art, in the form of a long extension to a hood. It could be worn hanging down, or, by the 15th century, is depicted wrapped round the head or the neck
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liripipe

If you've ever worn a long, stocking hat you've probably wrapped the excess like a scarf to help keep you warm. Like this:

Now, look at this: http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/%7Ema...oth/hoods.html

bungee, who may have spent too many years with the SCA
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Scarf combo that Bungee suggested makes the most sense, also I love the fact that this question exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    There's a reason God invented sunscreen. Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    There's a reason God invented sunscreen. Just saying
    I think the point was the word redneck. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I think the point was the word redneck. . .
    I got the point, just saying there are other options to collared shirts.

Pretty sure half the reason for the existence of a collar on a shirt was to hide the loop of a tie. Now, the better question would be: Why the fuck are there collars on so many things that aren't dress shirts / formal wear.

Probably the fashion of the era. I doubt it has a functionality.

I think they were generally wrapped around as a brim or tossed over the opposite shoulder. But it's really hard to know why they were popular, it might just be the inscrutable whims of fashion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Pretty sure half the reason for the existence of a collar on a shirt was to hide the loop of a tie. Now, the better question would be: Why the fuck are there collars on so many things that aren't dress shirts / formal wear.
    I totally wear a tie with my polo shirts, dude. What's wrong with you? /s

But really, why do we even have ties?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

To remind us there's only one escape from the daily grind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala
    Blame the French.

Most sartorialists agree that the necktie originated in the 17th century, during the 30 year war in France. King Louis XIII hired Croatian mercenaries (see picture above) who wore a piece of cloth around their neck as part of their uniform. While these early neckties did serve a function (tying the top of their jackets that is), they also had quite a decorative effect – a look that King Louis was quite fond of. In fact, he liked it so much that he made these ties a mandatory accessory for Royal gatherings, and – to honor the Croatian soldiers – he gave this clothing piece the name “La Cravate” – the name for necktie in French to this day.
    Source: http://www.tie-a-tie.net/the-evolution-of-the-necktie/

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I think they were generally wrapped around as a brim or tossed over the opposite shoulder. But it's really hard to know why they were popular, it might just be the inscrutable whims of fashion.
    ya'll are fucking dumb,

you try knitting or crochetting once or twice, you'll know it's that way because it's fucking a trillion times easier to do that than it is to waste extra efforts and materials creating some kind of seam or bream that doesn't look like a fucking cornucopia.

Originally, because of cravats et al.

More recently, they hide the buttons on the front of a shirt.

But they're badly designed if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.