Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    It conveys almost no information, it's simply stating: I care about this to some undisclosed degree.

It's the equivalent of "meh".

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It's as annoying as people who use abit as a real word.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjinx View Post
    I don't get the floor thingy. First floor second floor. would make more sense if the first floor was the same as ground floor and the second floor the same as the first storey. But then again that wouldn't make sense either since a 2 storey building would then have two floors but only one storey. And for Americans it would be even more confusing as they don't even use storey but instead picked story. perhaps we need a new word
    Floors and stories is one where I really don't give them a pass for regionalism. Two story building, check. Two floors, check. First floor? "That'd be the second one up, mate." /trapdoor /alligators

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    One word to rule them all: "bigly"
    it's actually a real word, albeit an uncommon one. I guess it is used in the same way as other similar adverb like greatly or largely.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sosua View Post
    It's as annoying as people who use abit as a real word.
    Wait a min, you saying whatchamacallit is not a real word?
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    The Americanism that Brits have to be the panhandlers of either Germany or the US.

They opted for the 51st state and haven't lived it down since.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It's the equivalent of "meh".
    Hm, perhaps that's the case. In the UK, meh would be used to describe caring about something at an average to below average degree.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Free Speech" huehuehue.

Joking aside, I get triggered when I hear the phrase "For all intensive purposes". Never heard an American irl use "for all intents and purposes" correctly.

You get to a building, you are at its first floor. It is the first floor you visit when entering it at street level.

It is a floor, it is the first, therefore it is the first floor.

I'll agree with the US on this one.

In here they follow the Brit's way, though, and I think it's stupid.

Deleted
    For some reason candy annoys me... I don't mind Americans saying candy but not Brits! Same with Brits that say celphone, dollar, the fedz,

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The British speak too fast for myself. And their sense of humor is odd. I watched some of their comedy shows and get this puzzled look on my face, that was suppose to be funny? like you , not knocking the Brits. One of America's closest allies.
    You shush about British shows. They brought "Sherlock" to us.

10+ Year Old Account
    i hate when English people say mum, pub, and bloody.

i also find comedians with a british accent about as unfunny as a woman doing stand up.

i cant watch any tv shows that have that accent. i heard monty python is funny but i cant fucking stand it for 5 minutes

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    You get to a building, you are at its first floor. It is the first floor you visit when entering it at street level.

I disagree - it's a ground floor, the floor above is the first floor above

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post

Yup, agree here. Our way is silly.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    What do British people think of the word Ya’ll. And how come you pronounce schedule wrong?
    I hate this word and the way it sounds.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    You shush about British shows. They brought "Sherlock" to us.
    Lol. See, I can find something funny the Brits would say.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    One thing that confused me a lot in the first few weeks i was in the US was the difference between what american and british called the first floor, second floor, etc...

I've been taught all my life that the floor on street level is the lobby or ground floor and the first floor is right above it. Turns out american consider the lobby to be the first floor. Actually got me lost once.
    It depends on the type of building. If the only thing on the ground floor is the lobby, that is the lobby, and the next level up from the ground floor would be the first floor. However, if the lobby shares the ground floor with other rooms, the lobby floor could be considered the first floor.

I live in a 3 family house. The first floor (Apartment A) wouldn't be called the lobby, it is the first floor.

All in all, it is situational.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

dont make me throw your fucking tea in the harbor. We know you need that to survive!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just so you know we’re not converting to the metric system. Even living in Canada they had to learn the hard way.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    For some reason candy annoys me... I don't mind Americans saying candy but not Brits! Same with Brits that say celphone, dollar, the fedz,
    Candy specifies a certain kind of sweet. A pastry is a sweet, but it is not candy. For me, as a person who limits the amount of sweets, I say exactly that specify that it doesn't matter if it is candy, pastry, or any sort of sugary food or drink. If offered candy, I would say, sorry I don't really eat sweets.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.