Thread: Shaman Tanks?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I've always wanted shaman tanks. It's my favorite spec to play in game, but I'm drawn to the shaman class so I've had two mains since TBC. We can dream.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Shamans can barely get 1 defensive CD and people want them to be tanks, lol.
    Tell me how many defensive CD's Fury / Arms Warrior have? Or Balance / Feral Druids?

Deleted
    There is no logical argument or reason why Shaman cannot have a 4th spec.

It's just a question of whether or not Blizzard feel it's worth the development time.

Deleted
    Every damn expansion this topic comes up, no we're not getting Shaman tanks. Ever. There are plenty of tank classes in the game and Blizzard already struggles tremendously with balancing them.

It would be nice, but also consider that tanking is a tough job, in the sense that you will cop flak from other players at times. I speak from experience. Telling people to absorb Armageddon (KJ) is one such example of hair-pulling irritation.

One-handed weapon and a Shield combined with Mail armour does have potential. Tanky spells already exist, like Earth Shield. It could happen, MAYBE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post
    It would be nice, but also consider that tanking is a tough job, in the sense that you will cop flak from other players at times. I speak from experience. Telling people to absorb Armageddon (KJ) is one such example of hair-pulling irritation.

One-handed weapon and a Shield combined with Mail armour does have potential. Tanky spells already exist, like Earth Shield. It could happen, MAYBE.
    Some of the stuff is honestly holdovers from our days as OT in vanilla(where if REALLY skilled ir low level you could full on mt depending on content)

Stuff like Rockbiter weapon even became aggro generating when active. We HAVE the toolkit if you pull out old skills just need to let us use it.

I mean hell my first taste of tsnking came from an ICC moment of badassery where EVERYONE died on the valkyr except me and i popped on a shield popped Earth Elemental Totem started kiting/healing as i went from enh dps to enh pseudo tank. I got the boss down abd killed her for the group. Taught me i actually enjoy tanking(bitchy players aside)

So yeah should be easy enough..and seriously we always hear about the four elements earth, wind, air and fire why can we not represent earth.

May I also add that because the way attack power is generated now, is there any reason why blizzard shouldn't give Enhancement the option of using 2h again?

They could even do it in talent form with some sort of passive.
    Last edited by Razaron; 2018-02-23 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Tell me how many defensive CD's Fury / Arms Warrior have? Or Balance / Feral Druids?
    What is this, turning into a bear is not even a CD for druid.

Quote Originally Posted by gobio View Post
    What is this, turning into a bear is not even a CD for druid.
    No but it doesn't stop people from beating a dead horse

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TidesJP View Post
    I think it would be cool to have Enhancement as tanks... Leave Elemental and Restro as is and have a Healer/RangedDPS/tank combo would be nice
    Yeah because melee survival worked out so well.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Shamans can barely get 1 defensive CD and people want them to be tanks, lol.

Blizzard is extremely averse to giving shamans defensives. It's like a memo or something. Shamans are just not allowed to be tanky whatsoever.
    My thoughts exactly. Lol we can't even use our wall in a stun ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Krue35 View Post
    Thought it could be cool if shamans could be tanks. Could harness the power of the earth to protect the shaman. Like a "Earthen Form" a persistent form where we call the earthen elements to cover the body in stone. Somewhat like the bear form for druids. Keep the maelstrom aspect where rockbiter or boulderfist is the generator for maelstrom and aggro. Spend it on stacks of more "stone armor" like how warriors use rage for ignore pain. The list could go on and on. What are your thoughts?
    one thing i saw that would be cool would be borrow the rock armor from like dragon age for shammy tanking
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Why cast fire when I have imps to do that for me?

A 4th Shaman spec that's earth-focused makes sense, because outside of the odd Elemental spell, there's no Shaman spec that's earth focused. Ele is fire focused, Resto water, and Enh wind. So having a spec that majorly uses the earth would be quite interesting. Cool niches that would fit well with a spec like that could be creating barriers out of the ground that blocks movement (Like Ring of Peace) temporarily, while also providing LOS like a pillar. As well as having a Spell Reflection cooldown in a big Grounding totem. Earth Ascendant being their big Shield Wall cooldown.
    Mistweaver Tax noun 1. The effect of both high mana costs, and lack of utility, coupled with requiring specific talent combinations to compete with other healers, while still not being able to compete with toolkits said healers have baseline in any competitive area.

I really wish this would happen with an earthen elemental ascendance form! Honestly if they can make DH and monk viable tanks with leather then a mail tank is possible but considering how Shamans arent getting much love recently I doubt it would ever happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    But then again, in the story, we're pretty brutal murder machines and not really "strategical assets". Just send us in and we'll murder everything in our way!
    So I guess the solution here is simple - we'll murder everyone.

Deleted
    What goes thru peoples mind when they use "non-tank Shaman specs have bad defensives" as argument against Tank Shaman Specialization?
    Last edited by mmoc2de6819d9a; 2018-03-25 at 12:57 PM.

shaman could be the first RANGE TANK in WoW

how?

Make our earth elemental:

permanent
    scale with stats
    share health pool with shaman
    syphons all threat from shaman
    has unique abilities of itself
    provides a buff to shaman and itself that reduces all aoe dmg taken by 50% (because they share health)

and w/e

it would be amazing, WoW finally gets a mail tank, and its range

I think it would made sense adding a forth spec, especially since Shaman have used shields since vanilla.
    I think Blizzard's original idea was to make viable prot pallies and shaman tanks in the future, but then they changed their minds and added blood elf paladins and draenei shaman in the burning crusade, and decided to make paladin and shaman classes unique from each other.

As there are 4 elements, i would make four specs, being one of the elements the strongest for each spec:

Earth: Tank Spec (Earth was always the spec that represented defense / tanking, so this is the obvious element for the tanking spec)
    Fire: Elemental (although all elements are obviously used in elemental spec, fire is the most destructive force and elemental dps is really what the spec is about)
    Wind: Enhancement (swift attacks and agility)
    Water: Restoration (healing waters)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post

how?

permanent
    scale with stats
    provides a buff to shaman and itself that reduces all aoe dmg taken by 50% (because they share health)

and w/e

I don't see ranged tanking working, no matter the class imo How would you deal with movement and such? targetted pet movement sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    I think it would made sense adding a forth spec, especially since Shaman have used shields since vanilla.
    I think Blizzard's original idea was to make viable prot pallies and shaman tanks in the future, but then they changed their minds and added blood elf paladins and draenei shaman in the burning crusade, and decided to make paladin and shaman classes unique from each other.

As there are 4 elements, i would make four specs, being one of the elements the strongest for each spec:

Earth: Tank Spec (Earth was always the spec that represented defense / tanking, so this is the obvious element for the tanking spec)
    Fire: Elemental (although all elements are obviously used in elemental spec, fire is the most destructive force and elemental dps is really what the spec is about)
    Wind: Enhancement (swift attacks and agility)
    Water: Restoration (healing waters)
    Although I'm not a fan of elements being divided by spec that seems like a burned bridge by now. So in that case we really need a class that utelizes earth more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post

how?

permanent
    scale with stats

and w/e

Sounds like a Warlock, GG

You couldn't after the pruning. They'd have to at least bring stoneskin totem back. Though it probably wouldn't come back as a totem because players seem to prefer the 5-6 button mini game for each class.

Quote Originally Posted by bargh View Post
    What goes thru peoples mind when they use "non-tank Shaman specs have bad defensives" as argument against Tank Shaman Specialization?
    Same people who thinks that your gameplay capabilities equals lore and vice versa.