Poll: Is there a right way to behave?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Is there a right way to behave?

Social blaming, shaming aside. Is there?

That depends on what you define or judge as being right. Right and wrong are social constructs and they only exists as long as there are people around to uphold them. The right way to behave is behavior that leads the world becoming more like what you would want it to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes legally there is a correct way to behave.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

It comes down to your view of morality. If you are adopting the moral compass of the country you live in, then yes, they tell you what is right.

If your morality is different, then you are acting "right" under your code, but will face the ramifications of that under the code that is legally/socially accepted as the norm.

The majority picks what is "right." Many years ago, we had significantly different thoughts on what is right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    hold yourself to your own standards would be the best thing to do
    Unless your standards disagree with the confines of the law, then you probably shouldn't do that

Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    Social blaming, shaming aside. Is there?
    Yes. BTW Social blaming, and shaming is also not the right way to behave.

In my opinion, the best guide to moral actions is the golden rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The corollary is, don't do unto others what you don't want done to yourself.

In other words, in the words of the illustrious Wil Wheaton: Don't be a dick.

Deleted
    Yes, when you consider your own morality then the right way to behave is the behavior that is in accordance with your own morality.

The Golden Rule:

Treat others as you'd like to be treated.

Quote Originally Posted by durenas View Post
    Yes. BTW Social blaming, and shaming is also not the right way to behave.
    Are you saying we should forgive serial killers?

Deleted
    Right is one of those loaded, ambiguous terms and it's really a question of philosophy, which often is just endless drivel without real world application.
    Is there a way to behave that maximizes societal, personal and interpersonal relationships and outcomes? Certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Is there a way to behave that maximizes societal, personal and interpersonal relationships and outcomes? Certainly.
    I agree. But that is also socially determined, just that we live in societies that "prefer" good outcomes.

Imagine living in society where everyones an aggressive monkey, any atempt at personal or interpersonal gain would be met with jealousy etc.

I think you cannot please everyone also.

Like others have said, The Golden Rule. Try to be good to each other and this world would be better off.

Deleted
    Are you saying we should forgive serial killers?
    Not shaming someone isn't even remotely the same as forgiving serial killers.

Deleted
    I agree. But that is also socially determined, just that we live in societies that "prefer" good outcomes.

Imagine living in society where everyones an aggressive monkey, any atempt at personal or interpersonal gain would be met with jealousy etc.

I think you cannot please everyone also.
    I don't think there's been a society yet that doesn't prefer good outcomes. In that case it wasn't a society for long.

I feel the "don't be a dick unless someone else was a dick first" idea is a good way to live.
    Last edited by Moralgy; 2018-03-15 at 11:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, thats why we have laws.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Objectively, no there isn't.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    The Golden Rule:

Treat others as you'd like to be treated.
    This.

What surprised me however was the 6 No votes. lol. Apparently some do not care how they behave. But I bet they do when it comes to doing something unlawful or if the person they are misbehaving around is likely to put their asses on the ground in a unfriendly manner. :P
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    What surprised me however was the 6 No votes. lol. Apparently some do not care how they behave. But I bet they do when it comes to doing something unlawful or if the person they are misbehaving around is likely to put their asses on the ground in a unfriendly manner. :P
    Not caring and being right are 2 different things completely.

I agree that we try to influence each other, though. As in your case - "put their asses on the ground"

7+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the situation, question isn't specific enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    It depends on the situation, question isn't specific enough.
    Interpersonally.