Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VyersReaver View Post
    Don't scoff off DS2 because there are haters advising you to skip it. It is known that DS2 is a favorite punching bag of Soulsborne fans, but it is not a bad game by any means (and not a bad Soulsborne game either). As I said previously, this game has the most replayability in the entire series, since NG+ adds a lot of stuff on its own (new enemies, items, etc.). I don't know if DS3 has it, but the respec option in DS2 is a VERY welcome addition. If you want to play a different build - go ahead, use an item and voila - reallocate stats however you like. With other games you had to create another character and play the game from scratch - it has its appeal, but I stopped on my second character in BB (so basically 3-4 weapon builds). It has flaws (like inconsistency of the world building, Earthen Peak errybody, and Soul Memory used for multiplayer makes your "perfect" builds unbearable), but I'd rather try it then just ignore it on account of forum warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    1 and 3 are about on par, with 3 slightly pulling ahead due to smoother experience. 2 is just garbage from start to finish.

There are two types of people in this world.

10+ Year Old Account
    DS2 gets a lot of flak and yes it has its issues but it is still a great game. It does some things much better than either DS1 or DS3 but it does kinda have poor level and boss design. However, the three DLCs are incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    Whew, you're so sharp you must not even use Yrden to kill a Bruxa. I bet you just one shot every single encounter, including the DLC too, huh? You probably didn't even lose a gwent match, even on hard!
    I didnt played Gwent, dont like it.
    In the entire game only last fight in Blood and Wine is kinda challenging but i refuse to replay that encounter ripped straight from some anime about vampires... So yes, i pretty much didnt lose any fight. And there are certain enemies you cant kill without using specific tactics, for example special wraiths without using either dwimeryt bombs or baby cage sign.
    So yeah, you wanted to be snarky and it didnt work out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    DS2 gets a lot of flak and yes it has its issues but it is still a great game. It does some things much better than either DS1 or DS3 but it does kinda have poor level and boss design. However, the three DLCs are incredible.
    Only thing i disliked is the heavy health penalty for dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Only thing i disliked is the heavy health penalty for dying.
    It is a bit annoying as you end up ring juggling with Ring of Binding. It was never really an issue at bosses as there were plenty effigies about, or you could restore humanity by helping as a yellow phantom. I guess it isn't that much different from being embered in DS3. However in DS2 death gets penalized while in DS3 you basically get rewarded for being embered (at the cost of invasions). Dunno, I think I like DS3 method better.

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    DS2 was not rushed at all. It was simply delegated to a different team because Miyazaki’s team was developing BB.

DS3 was probably a little rushed, but the result was indeed WAY better than DS2 (not that was that difficult to do better than DS2).
    They literally remade the game halfway through development. Tomohiro Shibuya was the original director for the game and it was so bad that he stepped down/had to leave.

Yu Tanimura stepped in to pick up what Shibuya had left behind with little time to fix it all. Tanimura also made all of the DLCs from scratch to try and fix the problems in story and tone.

Being rushed was just half the problem the game had.

http://peterbarnard1984.tumblr.com/p...ks-translation

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    They literally remade the game halfway through development. Tomohiro Shibuya was the original director for the game and it was so bad that he stepped down/had to leave.

Yu Tanimura stepped in to pick up what Shibuya had left behind with little time to fix it all. Tanimura also made all of the DLCs from scratch to try and fix the problems in story and tone.

Being rushed was just half the problem the game had.

http://peterbarnard1984.tumblr.com/p...ks-translation
    Didn't know how troublesome the development was, but it's clear that DS2 is "son of a lesser god". It seems a sort of spin-off, basically DS3 neglected most of DS2 story and mechanics (and i'm glad for that).

I didnt played Gwent, dont like it.
    In the entire game only last fight in Blood and Wine is kinda challenging but i refuse to replay that encounter ripped straight from some anime about vampires... So yes, i pretty much didnt lose any fight. And there are certain enemies you cant kill without using specific tactics, for example special wraiths without using either dwimeryt bombs or baby cage sign.
    So yeah, you wanted to be snarky and it didnt work out.
    Sounds like you've got a long way to go if you didn't beat the Gwent storylines. And yeah, you really got me with those "dwimeryt" bombs and "baby cage" sign comebacks. It's apparent you have beaten W3. You probably died to upscaled rats.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    Sounds like you've got a long way to go if you didn't beat the Gwent storylines. And yeah, you really got me with those "dwimeryt" bombs and "baby cage" sign comebacks. It's apparent you have beaten W3. You probably died to upscaled rats.
    I did, twice to be exact. Thank you are acknowledging it.
    Face it tiger - game is not hard as you make it. It is tedious on deathmarch and thats it.
    And Gwent was boring and uninteresting for me. So i skipped it and always will.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a bit annoying as you end up ring juggling with Ring of Binding. It was never really an issue at bosses as there were plenty effigies about, or you could restore humanity by helping as a yellow phantom. I guess it isn't that much different from being embered in DS3. However in DS2 death gets penalized while in DS3 you basically get rewarded for being embered (at the cost of invasions). Dunno, I think I like DS3 method better.
    That mechanic was a line between difficulty and punishing. I dont like games which are punishing but love those which try to challenge me.

That mechanic was a line between difficulty and punishing. I dont like games which are punishing but love those which try to challenge me.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I could have sworn there was a place to farm humanity effigies. You just had to join the heroic covenant so Monsters didn't eventually despawn after being defeated 10 times.

Honestly, that's how I played since the beginning, to make it more like DS1 and 3.

Anyway, as long as you play DS2 as though it's only a Souls-like instead of an actual dark souls game, it's fine. Just skip it and play 1&3 in order, then go back to play 2 at some later date with no expectations that it's part of the series.(honestly, that's what it felt like to me. Like someone was trying to copy Dark Souls but either didn't really understand it, or just wanted to put their own spin on everything)
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-03-16 at 04:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I could have sworn there was a place to farm humanity effigies. You just had to join the heroic covenant so Monsters didn't eventually despawn after being defeated 10 times.

Honestly, that's how I played since the beginning, to make it more like DS1 and 3.
    That also increases the difficulty of the monsters. Effigies in general weren't a problem I think I had over 70 of them before I started NG+. The problem is more that you play with 75% HP (50% without Binding) in most areas until you arrive at a boss and use an effigy. You either overcompensate and spend more in Vigor or spam effigies. The mechanic is a bit silly as @Aliven points out as it punishes you instead of rewarding you like DS3 does. Farming effigies is relatively easy, just join the Sunbros and help people (also removes your hollowed) but that is nowadays a bit harder as there's less people playing. I think the real problem with the death mechanic in DS2 is that not only do you lose 50% of your hit points but you also gain no invasion protection.

That also increases the difficulty of the monsters. Effigies in general weren't a problem I think I had over 70 of them before I started NG+. The problem is more that you play with 75% HP (50% without Binding) in most areas until you arrive at a boss and use an effigy. You either overcompensate and spend more in Vigor or spam effigies. The mechanic is a bit silly as @Aliven points out as it punishes you instead of rewarding you like DS3 does. Farming effigies is relatively easy, just join the Sunbros and help people (also removes your hollowed) but that is nowadays a bit harder as there's less people playing. I think the real problem with the death mechanic in DS2 is that not only do you lose 50% of your hit points but you also gain no invasion protection.
    Did it make it harder? ROFL! Well, I guess I was just playing on hardmode then. Honestly, I just wore the ring and got used to having 75% hitpoints. I suppose it's all a matter of perspective. Could I have just spammed Effigies and used a different ring? I guess. But Like I said, I basically altered my perception to assume DS2 wasn't an actual Dark Souls game, but a knockoff with different rules. I had more fun that way, although it's still an inferior product to all the other DS games and BB.

BTW, I gained invasion protection by not playing online. I don't really see the appeal. It's like playing on a WoW PVP server. Constantly getting interrupted when trying to do some PVE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did it make it harder? ROFL! Well, I guess I was just playing on hardmode then. Honestly, I just wore the ring and got used to having 75% hitpoints. I suppose it's all a matter of perspective. Could I have just spammed Effigies and used a different ring? I guess. But Like I said, I basically altered my perception to assume DS2 wasn't an actual Dark Souls game, but a knockoff with different rules. I had more fun that way, although it's still an inferior product to all the other DS games and BB.

BTW, I gained invasion protection by not playing online. I don't really see the appeal. It's like playing on a WoW PVP server. Constantly getting interrupted when trying to do some PVE.
    Aye if you are in the Covenant of Champions monsters do more damage, gain extra hit points, and resistances. Playing offline indeed is a good idea. You do get invasion protection (not clue for how long though) after you've been invaded however. So you can't be constantly invaded. I recently played through the game again helping a friend new to the series and invasions still happened quite regularly. Problem is, no one is part of the Blue Sentinels Covenant anymore, so you never get help summoned.

Deleted
    I like 3 a lot more than the first game, ds1 is a half finished great game

ds3 is actually a finished great game, it lacks the cool world design that ds1 has but makes up for it with really good level design

I never had any interest in the series. I was given steam keys for DS3 + Ariandel that have just been sitting on my account.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    I never had any interest in the series. I was given steam keys for DS3 + Ariandel that have just been sitting on my account.
    You might consider watching some lore videos to give you a sense of context. I know a LOT of players try the Dark Souls games and inevitably give up, not because of the difficulty, but because they felt there was no story. No sense of direction. "Why am I killing all these things? It doesn't make any sense!".

But then again, maybe the games just aren't your style? Any particular reason you never had any interest?

I tried 1 but considering I don't have a controller, it was aids.
    Played 3 and am still playing it to this day.

10+ Year Old Account
    You might consider watching some lore videos to give you a sense of context. I know a LOT of players try the Dark Souls games and inevitably give up, not because of the difficulty, but because they felt there was no story. No sense of direction. "Why am I killing all these things? It doesn't make any sense!".

But then again, maybe the games just aren't your style? Any particular reason you never had any interest?

For me personally always when it comes to video games:

Gameplay comes first then storyline. My mentality is that if I want a super great storyline I could read a nice novel book. However, I don't get an awesome gameplay entertainment from these novel books. That being said, that doesn't mean I don't care about storyline just for me it's the second most important thing when it comes to games and specially RPGs in general. First most important thing for me is the gameplay but yeah that is just me though. :P

well, a couple things I guess. First is the look of the games. I know that sounds petty, but it's a very subjective thing. I can't see myself getting invested for long sessions without needing a break.

The other thing is that all the gameplay I've seen looks really clunky. That's sort of by design, right? Mastering it is part of the challenge. I can see the appeal, but I feel like it would frustrate me.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    well, a couple things I guess. First is the look of the games. I know that sounds petty, but it's a very subjective thing. I can't see myself getting invested for long sessions without needing a break.

The other thing is that all the gameplay I've seen looks really clunky. That's sort of by design, right? Mastering it is part of the challenge. I can see the appeal, but I feel like it would frustrate me.

Yeah the concept design behind the Soul series is to be patient, collected, study your opponent movements and attacks pattern not just go ham at him like some hack and slash games like DMC or God of War or anything like that. And never ever underestimate your enemy because even the weakest enemy if you just go by "haha I am lvl XX this should be cake" you will most likely die.

And never ever be greedy if you discover that you can attack certain boss a solid two hits then settle with that never go with "I can try to squeeze more dmg by adding one extra hit on that boss" You will receive a massive consequences. These are the principles of the Souls series.

10+ Year Old Account

Combat in Dark Souls is in my opinion not clunky. It has actually very smooth combat albeit slow paced. It is however a game that has a steep learning curve but it can also be very satisfying when you finally get past certain roadblocks.