Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I can't pinpoint which Brit accent(s) it is but one that always tussled my timmies are the ones that seem to pronounce an extra R to words, mostly after the letter A. Lava to larva, America to Armerica, stuff like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Gondola View Post
    I can't pinpoint which Brit accent(s) it is but one that always tussled my timmies are the ones that seem to pronounce an extra R to words, mostly after the letter A. Lava to larva, America to Armerica, stuff like that.
    I'm guessing that's the west country accent. I've always found that one odd myself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    I'm guessing that's the west country accent. I've always found that one odd myself.
    I assumed Brummie

7+ Year Old Account
    I actually find the th-fronting ("f" instead of "th", eg, "birfday", etc) dialect annoying as hell.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    But does the word 'sal' relate to the floor (the part of the ambient where we stand on) as it does in English? Or does it actually mean something related to an extension above the ceiling?

My issue with this is that in English it is literally the floor, and there is a floor on the ground level, so that is the first floor.
    It's just levels of floor. "sal" is difficult to translate but it can be done with "hall" and it's also somewhat synonymous with it, meaning it's just halls in multiple stories divided with walls. The floor we physically stand on is "gulv". Afaik the borrowed french "etage" is the supporting structure around a given level/floor and is commonly seen too.
    "sal" designates a fine hall or area above the common living quarters causing it to compete with niveau(level) and etage(floor) while being ineligible for the ground floor in the danish language.

Still the floor closest to and on/above the ground and dirt is considered level 0 if you want to start counting levels. Automatically 1st becomes the floor above but that's just the standard we've agreed upon in our corner of the world
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2018-03-15 at 10:08 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Now that's just plain wrong on so many levels. Damn, Brits, can't even speak their own god damn language correctly.

To be fair, I can't believe that a good portion of the British could say it like that, because that makes no sense to me.
    I feel the same way, but I'm from California, we put "the" in front of everything, SNL nailed us on that one.

I'm an American, and I get slightly annoyed and
    at hearing "supposably." And I still have yet to nail it down from where it derives, but when people add an "r" to words like "wash" and "water." I can't, for the life of me, figure out why people add that "r" to words.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Hood is the bonet.
    2. Trunk is the boot.
    3. How brits pronounce Aluminum. You know you're pronouncing it wrong.

Britishisms that annoy everyone else: bespoke

Most Americans could care less about the Brits or what they think. I mean hell, we had a revolution and made our own country, if you didn't get the hint.

Like Hagrid in Harry Potter? That's west country.

10+ Year Old Account
    When dealing with an obnoxious Brit, my favorite way to drag them is to say. "Oh I love your Australian accent."

They get so triggered, dunno why. When foreigners assume I'm Canadian, I go like, "thanks brah!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    When dealing with an obnoxious Brit, my favorite way to drag them is to say. "Oh I love your Australian accent."

They get so triggered, dunno why. When foreigners assume I'm Canadian, I go like, "thanks brah!!"
    I fail to see how that would trigger someone. More than likely what's triggering them is something else about you. Perhaps your tone is downright rude, or you're a supremely irritating person to be around? I don't know. I'm just hypothesising. Given that you're sat there bragging about how you love to trigger people, I'd safely guess the latter!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnchainedGun View Post
    Most Americans could care less about the Brits or what they think. I mean hell, we had a revolution and made our own country, if you didn't get the hint.
    So you're implying that most Americans have the capacity to care less about what British people think? They have the capacity, this is 100% true, but the question is, how much of that capacity to care less is each individual utilising at any given time? I mean, this isn't specifically an English pet peeve. I've seen and heard other Americans calling their countrymen daft for saying 'could care less'!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
    Why do brits never add the word "the" in front of hospital when it calls for it?
    What, like saying "she's in hospital" for example? It's no different to saying something like "Jimmy is in school". Saying they're in THE hospital means they're physically located in the hospital grounds, but they could, for all you know, merely be visiting. Saying they're in hospital, sans the article, essentially means they're there for the purposes of which the place is designed, in this case they're being treated by the hospital, or in the school example, they're currently in school being educated.

If I said "The UPS man is in the hospital" it tells me he's inside the building, and my brain would make the logical assumption that he's delivering a parcel at reception or something like that. If I say "The UPS man is in hospital" it instead gives me the impression he's had an accident and is therefore being processed by the hospital system - being treated.
    Last edited by Will; 2018-03-16 at 01:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saying Grummit when its pronounced Gromit (Grom-it)

and yeah, nostalgia critic did this a lot.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post

If I said "The UPS man is in the hospital" it tells me he's inside the building, and my brain would make the logical assumption that he's delivering a parcel at reception or something like that. If I say "The UPS man is in hospital" it instead gives me the impression he's had an accident and is therefore being processed by the hospital system - being treated.
    Far from me to be the judge here, but this hospital thing without an article sounds very weird.

If the UPS guy was injured, I'd say he is hospitalized.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I fail to see how that would trigger someone. More than likely what's triggering them is something else about you. Perhaps your tone is downright rude, or you're a supremely irritating person to be around? I don't know. I'm just hypothesising. Given that you're sat there bragging about how you love to trigger people, I'd safely guess the latter!
    Like I said, I only use it to drag on obnoxious Brits. They also more-likely-than-not were also Tories.

Say you wouldn't happen to be a Tory? Asking because my comment really seemed to speak to you. I think I'm really onto something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also have a problem with jag-yoo-wahr.

I'm not British, heck, I'm not even a native speaker, but "based off of" annoys me... I hear it too often at work >_>

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

A little harmless fun but what Americanisms bugs you that creeps into your everyday life. Note this isn't slagging of Americans or America
    "I could care less" drives me up the wall. The worst thing is they actually think it means the same thing.

Not really bothered too much by any others, but that one really grinds on me.