Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[QUESTION] Dark Souls III save game

Hey lads,

I finished Dark Souls III (torrented I admit) when it came out and being a smart guy, I backed up my save folder. I enjoyed the game (against all expectations) so much, that I bought it with the season pass for like 20 euro.

Yesterday I thought I'd play through the expansions so I installed everything from steam, dropped the save folder in my roaming folder and started up the game.

The save, doesn't work correctly though. It loads a character named Nocturnus, but it's just a level 18 one and not the one I finished the game with.

Does anyone have any idea if I can actually get this to work? Otherwise I'll just play the original content again.

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing you went through all this already: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=663774034

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I'm guessing you went through all this already: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=663774034
    Yeah and it does work, somewhat. It just doesn't load the character I finished the game with.

edit:

Wait! I might have to create more than one save slot. I'll give that a shot when I'm at home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Yeah and it does work, somewhat. It just doesn't load the character I finished the game with.

edit:

Wait! I might have to create more than one save slot. I'll give that a shot when I'm at home.
    Okay, good luck! I lost my DS2 save game and had to start over. Luckily, a friend just got into the game so ended up playing a lot of multiplayer which made it a bit nicer experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guess is that your pirated copy was a different version than the steam one.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Okay, good luck! I lost my DS2 save game and had to start over. Luckily, a friend just got into the game so ended up playing a lot of multiplayer which made it a bit nicer experience.
    Alright, it kinda worked so yay!

It's a bit screwy though. I have my level 147 character back but I'm just half through the game. Nevertheless, I have the dragon slayer's gear (which shouldn't be possible unless you're almost at the end, right?) and I have quite a few duplicate rings.

/shrug

At least I can rush through the content now and do the ring city.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, it kinda worked so yay!

It's a bit screwy though. I have my level 147 character back but I'm just half through the game. Nevertheless, I have the dragon slayer's gear (which shouldn't be possible unless you're almost at the end, right?) and I have quite a few duplicate rings.

/shrug

At least I can rush through the content now and do the ring city.
    Well at least you got your character back! The Dragonslayer set is indeed very late in the game, after you defeat the Nameless King.

Well at least you got your character back! The Dragonslayer set is indeed very late in the game, after you defeat the Nameless King.
    Okay, I had no idea people could just invade your game and grief you. What kind of stupid feature is this :/

Is there any way to turn it off without losing co-op?

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I had no idea people could just invade your game and grief you. What kind of stupid feature is this :/

Is there any way to turn it off without losing co-op?
    In DS3, you can only be invaded if you are embered, sadly you need to be embered to play coop. It sucks a little, and there's some twinks out there, I ran into a few as well when playing with a friend. It is worse in some areas than others. The worst place is the area with the double sylvhaen beasts (in Anor Londo) as people of a certain covenant get auto summoned to defend there, and the double beasts are a pain in itself.

In DS3, you can only be invaded if you are embered, sadly you need to be embered to play coop. It sucks a little, and there's some twinks out there, I ran into a few as well when playing with a friend. It is worse in some areas than others. The worst place is the area with the double sylvhaen beasts (in Anor Londo) as people of a certain covenant get auto summoned to defend there, and the double beasts are a pain in itself.
    Very annoying. I just alt-f4'ed a few times.

By the way, I have no idea if I should respec. I have the following stats at the moment:

vigor 45
    endurance 40
    vitality 29
    strength 71
    dexterity 16

I didn't mention the others since I don't think they're important with the weapons I usually use: Fume Ultra Greatsword +5 or Cathedral Knight Greatsowrd +9. If the I need a shield I use the refined dark sword +10

Is there even a 'best weapon' at the moment?

10+ Year Old Account
    Very annoying. I just alt-f4'ed a few times.

By the way, I have no idea if I should respec. I have the following stats at the moment:

vigor 45
    endurance 40
    vitality 29
    strength 71
    dexterity 16

I didn't mention the others since I don't think they're important with the weapons I usually use: Fume Ultra Greatsword +5 or Cathedral Knight Greatsowrd +9. If the I need a shield I use the refined dark sword +10

Is there even a 'best weapon' at the moment?
    I am not really an expert on 2H Strength builds. I pretty much solely play faith or int based builds. From what I can see though, your vitality is pretty low for a Fume Knight great sword. Isn't that thing extremely heavy? Are you certain you are not fat rolling?

Good 2H-ers if I remember correctly:
    Yhorm Great Machete
    Great Club
    LEDOs (Ringed City DLC though)
    FUGS (yours)
    Exile greatsword
    Cathedral Knight greatsword
    Lothric Knight greatsword
    Butcher Knife

I am not really an expert on 2H Strength builds. I pretty much solely play faith or int based builds. From what I can see though, your vitality is pretty low for a Fume Knight great sword. Isn't that thing extremely heavy? Are you certain you are not fat rolling?

Good 2H-ers if I remember correctly:
    Yhorm Great Machete
    Great Club
    LEDOs (Ringed City DLC though)
    FUGS (yours)
    Exile greatsword
    Cathedral Knight greatsword
    Lothric Knight greatsword
    Butcher Knife
    Yeah it is heavy indeed. I'm only not fat rolling because I'm wearing very light gear; a combination of dancer's garb and dragon slayer's garb.

I might respec and increase my vitality. I don't think 71 strength is useful anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it is heavy indeed. I'm only not fat rolling because I'm wearing very light gear; a combination of dancer's garb and dragon slayer's garb.

I might respec and increase my vitality. I don't think 71 strength is useful anyway.
    Aye 71 STR is way over the soft cap. It's fashion souls though, armour doesn't make much of a difference (not entirely true my Pyromancer is certainly a lot more squishy than my Paladin but you get the point). I wear that Knight Artorius looking armour (http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Wolf+Knight+Set) on my Paladin. It looks awesome.

10+ Year Old Account

If you want a good two handed heavy weapon try the Dragonslayer great axe from the soul of dragonslayer armor boss. Really one of the best heavy weapons in the game. It scales very well with heavy strength/faith build + dat delicious stunlock is amazing haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    If you want a good two handed heavy weapon try the Dragonslayer great axe from the soul of dragonslayer armor boss. Really one of the best heavy weapons in the game. It scales very well with heavy strength/faith build + dat delicious stunlock is amazing haha.
    That weapon isn't really good for him though, as he has no Faith, and the weapon has really poor strength scaling (only C at +5).

10+ Year Old Account
    That weapon isn't really good for him though, as he has no Faith, and the weapon has really poor strength scaling (only C at +5).
    Yup, this is why I said faith/strength build. :P

The stunlock makes up for the bad strength scaling though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Yup, this is why I said faith/strength build. :P

The stunlock makes up for the bad strength scaling though.
    I've never used that weapon, should try it on my Paladin build next time I play. I usually play with SSS with a shield, and Lothric Knight Greatsword as backup weapon. Probably need to invest a bit more in Vitality first though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never used that weapon, should try it on my Paladin build next time I play. I usually play with SSS with a shield, and Lothric Knight Greatsword as backup weapon. Probably need to invest a bit more in Vitality first though.
    Awesome haha try it and give me your opinion about it.

Fume Greatsword used to be the strongest strength heavy two handed weapon in DSII but they nerfed it in DSIII. It was so good in DSII no only awesome heavy insane damage but also you basically almost never needed a shield you can use it as a shield was pretty amazing in DSII.

Hm, I've got so many duplicate items. Even duplicate boss souls!

Is it possible I'm playing through a new game+? I have absolutely no idea how to find out.

If I was the OP I'd be SUPER leery of getting a soft ban from online play with the save file being weird, and having duplicate items.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd delete the old save, do a clear install, then take everything I learned from my original playthrough and start over legit.

For builds you're definitely wasting points on that high STR. I'd consider going for an even split quality build, or dump 20 of those STR points into faith or stamina.

If you go faith, try a Blessed infused Lothric Greatsword. Minor Regen and the lightning damage will be really high(scales better off FTH than a lightning infuse).

Or if you go quality, try the Old Wolf Curved Sword from Watchdogs of Farron. Pair it with both Pontif Left and Right rings for super good damage and healing-while-hitting. And honestly, if you're not using a shield you should have this strapped to your back for the extra damage on successive hits unless you're after some other effect, such as the stamina Regen fro. The Grass Crest shield.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-03-17 at 04:33 AM.