Still ironclad in my belief The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie yet.

Well I finished Star Wars The Last Jedi. The second half was RIDICULOUSLY better than the first. The second half was legit like a 9/10. Yeah there were some cliche moments, but the jokes were actually organic and made sense, instead of being forced.

As I stated in my previous posts and now in this one, there's a clear difference between the first and the second half of the film. There were a lot of issues I had (mostly with the first half):

1. The jokes were forced were clearly targeted at wide-eyed 7 year olds (or simpletons), and made no sense.
    2. Disney tried to make the movie have every single troupe/theme.
    3. Characters acted out of character all the time just for jokes or to make the scene be the way Disney wanted.
    4. The acting from some characters, especially in the first half of the movie, just flat out sucked.
    5. Rules established in the previous movies just get thrown out the window. Mostly with the Force.

The last like 45 mins of the movie were really good though. REALLY good. The comedy was good enough, the action was good enough, everything actually made sense, the setup was great, and it actually felt epic. Not to mention things weren't as straightforward and predictable.

I agree with @Arrowstormen, this is the best Star Wars movie. There was no boring politics or other stupid shit, it was mostly action/adventure.

But I can't forgive the numerous flaws from the beginning of the movie. I do think some of the beginning of the movie can be compensated for the performance of the second half (meaning some things that I criticized were validated in the second half), but not much.

I was going to give the movie a 0.5/10, but in the context of the whole movie, I'll give it a 3.75/10. The last 45 mins were excellent. The first 1.5h were pure garbage. The thing about it is, the plot of the movie is fine and makes sense (well, not the Rey/Ren part, but w/e), but the way it was presented (especially in each scene in the beginning where Disney forced cliche generic comedy/troupes everywhere) was subpar.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    3 posts to review last jedi? What a mess.
    He wants attention, and you are feeding it to him.

10+ Year Old Account
    My Left Foot
    Solid movie
    Legendary performance by Daniel Day Lewis
    7.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by imabanana View Post
    Star Wars have always been children movies, not sure why you're surprised about this.
    1. I don't think Star Wars are children movies. Definitely not targetted at kids under 13. (Well, I don't think the previous ones were. This one might've been.)
    2. Most "children's movies" these days are actually wide enough to cover as big of a target audience as possible. Like Frozen. Or any other animated movie.

The jokes just really didn't fit. As hellhamster said, the planet is about to be destroyed, people are evacuating, the big bad guy is orchestrating death, and he just acts like a clown because one of the MCs has to look cool and charismatic for the laughs. It made no sense. The actual joke itself really would only be laughed at by kids, too. It felt so cartoony.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    He wants attention, and you are feeding it to him.
    I just thought the movie sucked really badly (at the beginning). I'd been anticipating it for a long time waiting for an HD version. It had a $200 mil budget and made $1.3 bil. I read everyone's ratings in this thread. I just didn't get it.

To be honest, most people wrote useless undescriptive ratings about why it sucked. Most people did the same about why they thought it was good. I didn't understand them, I wish they'd clarify. The only useful things I remember seeing (off the top of my head) was Arrowstormen called it not predictable, which I respected it for too, and someone else said the acting sucked, which I also agree with.

Again, if you disagree with my rating, show me the light. Tell me "oh yeah people fly in space without breathing all the time after surviving laser explosions where everyone else dies. That shit's canon bro. Oh yeah the dark side can connect people's minds even if you don't know where they are. That's Dark Side 101 textbook." I'd love for you to disagree with me, with reason and logic.

the lego ninjago movie.

6/10

not a bad movie, but not as good as either the original lego movie or the lego batman movie. maybe this is because i'm in my late 30's and not an 8 year old... but i think i only lol'd irl once or twice, whereas in the other movies i lol'd irl a lot.
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    1. The jokes were forced were clearly targeted at wide-eyed 7 year olds (or simpletons), and made no sense.

I agree with @Arrowstormen, this is the best Star Wars movie. There was no boring politics or other stupid shit, it was mostly action/adventure.
    Speaking of simpletons...

Deleted
    Black Panther - 5/10

After so many movies and all the evolution in the MCU, seeing such a by the numbers mediocrity was dissapointing. Villain was actually one of the best in Marvel movies, but the atrocious dialogue... Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon cartoons have better writing. But look, fancy non-mainstream accents and pretty costumes, yay!! Diversity and skin color becoming more important than the quality? Is that where we are heading? Ugh.

---

Annihilation - 8/10

Like with a lot of "deep" autuer movies, you can understand those who hate it and those who love it. I enjoyed it. As long as i could ignore lack of logic and sense in terms of world building. Movie wasn't about "realism" anyway. Some of the visuals and music/sound effects were just goosebump worthy... Those who have seen it will know what i mean.

Tomb Raider 4/10

Vikander is terrific. She can act, she has presence and has a great sense of physicality. Vikander is absolutely wonderful, again. Perfect casting.

The problem is everything that is not Vikander. Everyone else in this movie is acting poorly. The script is rushed and the plot is super cheese. Most criminally is the direction.

The direction and cinematography is total fucking trash. Set pieces look cheap and are shot with minimal wide shots. Almost non of it is practical or in camera action. Likely because they only built part of a set or just used VFX(both very likely) to add scale. It's all shot poorly too; drama is missing from every shot, obscure angles & cuts make action incoherent and most shots are underlit.

I am giving this a 4 only on the great strength of Vikander who transcends this awful film making quite well.

Love, Simon 6/10

This is a charming & lovely film well made. There is very little to take issue with the film... except the narrative. A very predicable film cast in the context of a late 80s/early 90s teen romance. It's too self aware to be a Hughes film, which is a buzz that lazily and incorrectly is being attached to the movie, but too naive and softhearted to transcend it's genre box. The most remarkable thing about the film is the groundbreaking advertising and rollout centrally about a LGBT character(s). But I can't judge a film based on it's advertising.

Josie 1/10

Kinda pretentious. Sophie Turner is not that good an actress, really. This movie tries to hard in all regards. The acting is overdone & unnatural, the direction and editing are obviously deliberate, the reveal is predicable despite being drawn out for like 80% of the run time. This movie thinks has a lot to say and says it meaningfully. It's doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    it's nice to have an exceptional black lead actor where their race isn't being used as a pivotal part of their character as a lot of films do
    This is exactly what the plot of the film is based on.

Justice League - 5/10:

The good: The portrayal of the Flash in this was entertaining. The entire tunnels fight scene was very well done, and the cyborg guy was also a decent character.

The bad: Paper thin bad guy motive, but to be fair, that plagues most of these sort of movies. Some choppy editing here and there as well.

The ugly: Having to resurrect Superman, otherwise known as putting a band-aid on the shitshow known as BvS The CGI in quite a few places was embarrassingly amateur, especially for a movie with this sort of budget.

Overall, I went into this with bottom-of-the-barrel expectations, and while I wouldn't want to watch it again (unless it was just a compilation of WW and Flash scenes), it wasn't quite the complete disaster I thought it was going to be. It's a better flick than BvS, or SS, or CA:CW for that matter, but just isn't comparable to the better comic book flicks out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    I didn't get that at all, maybe if you look for these things that's what you get
    You didn't 'get that' despite it being the motivation of the villain, the cause of all action in the film (compton) and the actual resolution of the hero's redemption arc in the American ghetto & Wakanda at the United Nations?

It's even the villains now famous monologue and the source of dramatic tension. There are t shirts with this line on it now.

There is no looking needed, this is what the film is about.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2018-03-18 at 03:29 PM.

Moonlight
    -11/10
    It’s literally, yeah, literally painful.

Again, if you disagree with my rating, show me the light.
    Difficult to agree or disagree with you when we have very different ways of rating films. That being said, you probably liked it more than I did.

1. I don't think Star Wars are children movies. Definitely not targetted at kids under 13. (Well, I don't think the previous ones were. This one might've been.)
    They are and are intended as such from creation. They are based on 1950s Saturday Sci-Fi and Western serials. The former didn't become serious till the mid to late 1960s into the early 1970s (2001, Omega Man, Solaris).

Star Wars was a reaction to the seriousness of Sci-Fi and Westerns in that era. It specifically tried to obscure the 'techno-babble' by using pastiche and implication; 'But I was going to Toshi station!' vis-a-vis... the entire scene with the Russians in 2001, for example. That is why there is so much fantasy and mythological motifs in Star Wars.

It was the film making style of the 1960s and 1970s that Lucas & co. borrowed, but the intent and motifs are firmly designed by omission and example to be for children. The good guys literally wear white and bad guys literally wear black. The central message is a lack of moral ambiguity.

There are many articles, books and film courses on this should you wish to delve.

Annihilation - 6/10

Interesting little wee movie. I feel it puts its high concepts before a good film. The intro was rather weak as well as the pacing at times. But the ideas and scenery of the film were great so its not totally bad. Just, missed the mark slightly and could have been great. It was unique so I cant hate on it too much

Went to movie theater to see Black Panther.

The story was a bit...it wasn't new, but it wasn't bad.
    The plot was handled really well.

I was so impressed by the length of the movie. A lot of movies would've spent extra time on unnecessary plot in the middle just for the sake of adding content, but Black Panther jumped straight into the end sequence. Like, after Black Panther lost his fight, instead of some stupid exile shit or building up of power, he went straight back to the throne to beat the bad guy.. Respect. The movie didn't feel long at all and, besides the first 15 minutes, had great pacing and didn't drag anywhere.

The comedy was like, less than Marvel's standard, but still good enough.
    The action was adequate. It was what I'd expect from Marvel.

The super hero himself, Black Panther, was the most uninteresting person in the movie. This is the opposite of most Marvel heroes. You put Tony Stark or another Avenger in the middle of a scene, and the scene's about them because they introduce the comedy or are the ones the audience loves. In Black Panther, BP was w/e. The most interesting people were the ones around him. Not just the villain, but BP's allies: his sister, mother, the strongest warrior chick, the Get Out tribe leader, the other tribe leader, the FBI guy, etc. were all people I was happy to see speak. The only times BP was actually interesting was when he talked to his dad or the villain. It's actually a welcome change; I can't think of another movie where I liked the cast, but the super hero was just adequate enough to be likeable and the center of things, but not the one the audience likes.

I'm not sure if other people felt that way, though. I can only say what I said.

I think I'll give it an 9.0/10. It was a very good standalone movie.

The loss in points?

1. I'll remove like 0.5 points for the magic of vibranium. I don't think it was explained enough in any Marvel movie for it or Wakanda to be so advanced.
    2. Certain things made absolute sense, but weren't fleshed out enough for the impact that they had on the story, so I'll deduct 0.5 points for it. (To give one example, the Get Out guy was so willing to be on the side of the villain, because his parents were killed by that Klaude guy and he killed him and brought the body. Meanwhile, BP fucked up the kidnapping. Because of the villain. But they glossed over that. But like, how are you gonna hate on BP after like 5 seconds of discussing it, and suddenly shift to "yeah let's arm the world".)

To be honest, I'd prefer to give it like 8 or 8.5. I'd knock off some points for the comedy not being as good as other Marvel movies, and the story was a bit predictable and unoriginal. But that's my personal life experience/preference for knocking the score down a bit.
    Last edited by Blueobelisk; 2018-03-18 at 06:31 PM.

Spiderman - Homecoming: 8.5/10. A few trivial pet peeves on my part, but not even worth mentioning. This is easily one of the top 3 modern Marvel flicks. Very well paced despite its length, excellent performances, etc etc. Definitely worth your time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wonder Woman: 7.5/10

I'm a bit late to the party I know haha. Good film with some impressive effects and action scenes, story was good too. Did start a bit slow though, but as it went on it improved. It is basically an origin story though, so I understand why they it needed to be slower, sort of like the first Lord of the Rings.