Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Are you actually comparing the two?
    The basic concept is the same, yes. Especially since, ya know, Texas was never under attack.

OR A STUDY HALL

how the fuck is this news or a thread?

garbage news "journalists" trying to turn this into something political, well it's fucking not, don't want to protest great, JOIN THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN THE FUCKING STUDY HALL.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Sounds like he was suspended over insubordination, not because he didn't walk out.

He was given two options:

1. Join the protest

2. Go to Study Hall with everyone else who wasn't participating in the protests (probably because you know, its hard to teach normally when a good chunk of students aren't there + the teachers needing to make sure the student body stays safe which means not being in the classrooms)

He decided that "I'm going to stay right here" which wasn't an option presented for him. Schools aren't a democracy, he doesn't get a say in what he's being told to do. He was suspended.

Nothing to see here.
    What else can be said then this.

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    ya i am sure most of the students cared about politics and not the chance to skip out on school.
    Yes I'm sure they were absolutely thrilled to go stand outside and be absolutely silent for 17 minutes then return to class. Honestly, all my life it's been "I wish these kids would get involved with politics they're so apathetic they don't stand for anything!" and now that they actually want to participate and make their voices heard, one side is encouraging them and the other is telling them to sit down, shut up, they don't know any better because they're stupid kids, and if they get shot in school it's their own fault for not being nice enough to the weird kid that skins frogs in his spare time. If you guys really think they're misguided, step in and lead, because telling them to shut up or that they're lazy or only care about getting out of class is only going to push them to the other side.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    The basic concept is the same, yes. Especially since, ya know, Texas was never under attack.
    An attack and a protest are hardly the same thing.

Is lunch time the same as an attack - at least the basic concept, in both you gotta leave the classroom -?

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    OR A STUDY HALL

garbage news "journalists" trying to turn this into something political, well it's fucking not, don't want to protest great, JOIN THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN THE FUCKING STUDY HALL.
    Because the right is very desperate to actually find an example of them being a vitum and will try anything while they victimize others as a result of their policies and beliefs.

10+ Year Old Account

Is lunch time the same as an attack - at least the basic concept, in both you gotta leave the classroom -?
    The school needs to know where you are during important events. That means you either join the group doing the thing, or the group that's not doing the thing. You don't get to do your own thing, because that makes it harder on schools to keep track. Also, again, Texas was never under attack so obviously "but teh attackzors" is irrelevent. The collection of students to give information and to keep them together is the relevant part. You are the school's responsibility while you are at school.

Its not a hard concept to grasp, really.

The concept being controlling the flow and location of students in order to monitor and supervise them, not the action that necessitated the control.

Don't be obtuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    OR A STUDY HALL

One of the usual suspects is looking for victimisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Priestiality View Post
    Yes I'm sure they were absolutely thrilled to go stand outside and be absolutely silent for 17 minutes then return to class. Honestly, all my life it's been "I wish these kids would get involved with politics they're so apathetic they don't stand for anything!" and now that they actually want to participate and make their voices heard, one side is encouraging them and the other is telling them to sit down, shut up, they don't know any better because they're stupid kids, and if they get shot in school it's their own fault for not being nice enough to the weird kid that skins frogs in his spare time. If you guys really think they're misguided, step in and lead, because telling them to shut up or that they're lazy or only care about getting out of class is only going to push them to the other side.
    I think the truth is more nuanced, bullying does contribute to antisocial behavior/feeling marginalized but studies show that the most predominant predictor in children and young adults developing conduct disorder/antisocial personality disorder (which is probably relevant to many but not all of these cases) is trauma/abuse in the home. Easy access to guns is also a contributing factor as well as macroscopic social factors. It's just easier to scapegoat one cause/group when shitty things happen, which in an of itself is indicative of dysfunctional behavior/cognitive processing.

You’re trying way too hard to sound upset over nothing. The school has a special event planned out and you can either join in said event or do the “nonpoltical” option and do the study hall, or you can be this kid and be a pill head for no good reason.

He was supposed to go to a designated place, he didn't. Got in trouble for it the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    For someone who is so against SJWs Venant's threads seem to be strikingly similar to how they define one .

The lad was given an alternative to if he didn't want to participate and he rather chose an option that anyone with common sense would realize would draw more attention to them so it's hard to imagine he didn't have any politicizing intentions.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Purposefully misleading title. The student was suspended in accordance with the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    The school needs to know where you are during important events. That means you either join the group doing the thing, or the group that's not doing the thing. You don't get to do your own thing, because that makes it harder on schools to keep track. Also, again, Texas was never under attack so obviously "but teh attackzors" is irrelevent. The collection of students to give information and to keep them together is the relevant part. You are the school's responsibility while you are at school.

Its not a hard concept to grasp, really.
    No one is arguing about the topic at hand nor how it was handled.

Merely pointing out how dishonest it is to compare this situation with how one must operate when their country is under direct attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    You’re trying way too hard to sound upset over nothing. The school has a special event planned out and you can either join in said event or do the “nonpoltical” option and do the study hall, or you can be this kid and be a pill head for no good reason.
    Please, do tell me how I really feel - for I have no idea.

Or Option 3: Teachers do their job and teach instead of participating in a ridiculous "walkout" that most only went to so they would get out of class for a bit.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree with this. Don't you usually get detention if you play hookie or something? Since that is technically what he did. He chose not to go to a certain location which the "class" was at. Why would he get suspension for being in school and not doing anything wrong other than being in the wrong place?

No one is arguing about the topic at hand nor how it was handled.

Merely pointing out how dishonest it is to compare this situation with how one must operate when their country is under direct attack.

Please, do tell me how I really feel - for I have no idea.
    Oh I’m sorry, I forgot who I’m talking to, an unserious person. Apologies, carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I don't agree with this. Don't you usually get detention if you play hookie or something? Since that is technically what he did. He chose not to go to a certain location which the "class" was at. Why would he get suspension for being in school and not doing anything wrong other than being in the wrong place?
    But that is what he wanted. He did not want to go to the protest, or to the room where non protesters gathered. Hence hookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Oh I’m sorry, I forgot who I’m talking to, an unserious person. Apologies, carry on.
    Takes a really 'serious' person to go "You just mad"-reply on someone else.