Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Then there is nothing to see since he was given the other option. If not, then it would be a totally different story. We all have to live with our decisions. I would support him if they did not give him the other option to avoid the walk out.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Takes a really 'serious' person to go "You just mad"-reply on someone else.
    Why thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a bullshit outrage thread, people gonna bullshit outrage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I don't agree with this. Don't you usually get detention if you play hookie or something? Since that is technically what he did. He chose not to go to a certain location which the "class" was at. Why would he get suspension for being in school and not doing anything wrong other than being in the wrong place?
    You still get detention if you don't go to class and instead refuse to leave the hallway, or if you skip class to go to the library without permission.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Its a bullshit outrage thread, people gonna bullshit outrage.
    Who decides what is "Bullshit Outrage" from what is "Deserved Outrage"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Who decides what is "Bullshit Outrage" from what is "Deserved Outrage"?
    Oh no, are you outraged by my comment? Are you outraged by every comment? Smells like bullshit.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Journalist should go back to school if they think this is newsworthy
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    The school needs to know where you are during important events. That means you either join the group doing the thing, or the group that's not doing the thing. You don't get to do your own thing, because that makes it harder on schools to keep track. Also, again, Texas was never under attack so obviously "but teh attackzors" is irrelevent. The collection of students to give information and to keep them together is the relevant part. You are the school's responsibility while you are at school.

Its not a hard concept to grasp, really.
    Is the purpose of going to school to be educated, or is it to take part in political activism that is approved by the administrators of the school?

Last time I checked, we don't live in North Korea. Teachers and schools are stepping outside of acceptable bounds by choosing to sanction political demonstrations like this. Schools should be politically neutral, they are there to educate not indoctrinate. By sanctioning a walk out, they are taking a political position and making a very bold statement that they consider their politics more important than education.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Oh no, are you outraged by my comment? Are you outraged by every comment? Smells like bullshit.
    Hardly outraged. Just saw that being thrown around in some threads and decided to finally confront someone who uses similar expression, with some hopes that it finally gets a personal take on it's significance.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...316-story.html

Shouldn't all of the students who took part in the 'walk out' be the ones who were suspended? This kid just wanted to attend classes and not being used like a political pawn. The whole concept of a sanctioned 'walk out', which is traditionally a protest against authority, is baffling to me.

Protesting doesn't mean anything anymore, its just another part of the system, that's what all of these kids are learning from this.
    I love that you can so blatantly lie about something, and then make a stink about it. It's adorable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Some protests are more tolerated than others.
    If you read any part of the article, instead of the false thread title, you'd know that you were wrong. Just in case you care about reality.

Is the purpose of going to school to be educated, or is it to take part in political activism that is approved by the administrators of the school?

Last time I checked, we don't live in North Korea. Teachers and schools are stepping outside of acceptable bounds by choosing to sanction political demonstrations like this. Schools should be politically neutral, they are there to educate not indoctrinate. By sanctioning a walk out, they are taking a political position and making a very bold statement that they consider their politics more important than education.
    Yeah dawg, clearly they went behind the admins back to do this... oh wait.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Good for him, politics shouldn't be made to disrupt learning. When you have political nutcases on both sides fucking it up for everyone inbetween, its them who should be kicked out.
    Unless of course you bother to actually read the article, they you'd know the OP is lying.

Well, yeah, that's defiance. The school organized an activity and he refused to do the activity. He also refused to do a separate activity provided for him.

10+ Year Old Account

School is both for education and to prepare us to become adults. I see protesting as a civic duty that is a sign of becoming an adult.

Also, by forbidding protesting, they are also taking a political side. This is the best a school can do: allow those who want to protest to protest, but have a place for the students that disapprove.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Yeah dawg, clearly they went behind the admins back to do this... oh wait.
    Why do we have schools? Why would a school consent to disrupting classes for a political stunt? Wouldn't consenting to this mean that they place the value of politics above their primary purpose of running classes that educate?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Man if you really believe this then you are so ignorant on what schools do. Schools sanction laser tag field trips for the funzies without any stipulations just because.

Core academics are not even the majority of what students learn from school.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Sounds like he was suspended over insubordination, not because he didn't walk out.

He was given two options:

1. Join the protest

2. Go to Study Hall with everyone else who wasn't participating in the protests (probably because you know, its hard to teach normally when a good chunk of students aren't there + the teachers needing to make sure the student body stays safe which means not being in the classrooms)

He decided that "I'm going to stay right here" which wasn't an option presented for him. Schools aren't a democracy, he doesn't get a say in what he's being told to do. He was suspended.

Nothing to see here.
    Bingo. Not exactly rocket science, but that won't stop some people making him into some sort of martyr to prove a point.

EDIT: The headline could equally have said "Ohio student suspended for refusing to go to a study hall when asked." I wonder why it doesn't?

The irony of him getting death threats for not protesting against gun violence... the ridiculous hypocrisy of morons, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Then there is nothing to see since he was given the other option. If not, then it would be a totally different story. We all have to live with our decisions. I would support him if they did not give him the other option to avoid the walk out.
    Pretty much this, using only the click bait title of the thread it sounds like a terrible thing happened, but looking any deeper its an issue with the student being a little shit and not listening to directions.

Given who the OP is, I am not surprised he warped the story how he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    School is both for education and to prepare us to become adults. I see protesting as a civic duty that is a sign of becoming an adult.

Also, by forbidding protesting, they are also taking a political side. This is the best a school can do: allow those who want to protest to protest, but have a place for the students that disapprove.
    The problem with this logic is that by allowing the protest the entire school environment is disrupted, so it is giving in to one side. They gave an alternative, but that alternative was worse than not protesting.