Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    The irony of him getting death threats for not protesting against gun violence... the ridiculous hypocrisy of morons, honestly.
    He was given death threats by people who thought he had been suspended for taking part in the protests, not the other way around. They assumed his suspension was for walking out, thus he was pro gun control, thus abused him and in a minority of cases made threats against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Why do we have schools? Why would a school consent to disrupting classes for a political stunt? Wouldn't consenting to this mean that they place the value of politics above their primary purpose of running classes that educate?
    /yawn

Because they wanted to... obviously. As if that’s something sinister in of its self. Unless you’re telling me a day or so put aside for this just blows a giant hole into these kids education. Which is hilarious you think it’s such a big deal.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    The irony of him getting death threats for not protesting against gun violence... the ridiculous hypocrisy of morons, honestly.
    Never underestimate righteous herd-mentality can turn good kids/people into savage beasts.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

If I were still in school, I'd be tempted to leave just to get out of school.

Otoh, I might not want to be affiliated with the movement just enough to choose to stay in school anyway.
    Horseshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    The problem with this logic is that by allowing the protest the entire school environment is disrupted, so it is giving in to one side. They gave an alternative, but that alternative was worse than not protesting.
    I supppose it depends on what the school thought would be more disruptive. Allowing the students to take a short protest break, or forbid them entirely and deal with a vast amount of unhappy unruliness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the purpose of going to school to be educated, or is it to take part in political activism that is approved by the administrators of the school?

Last time I checked, we don't live in North Korea. Teachers and schools are stepping outside of acceptable bounds by choosing to sanction political demonstrations like this. Schools should be politically neutral, they are there to educate not indoctrinate. By sanctioning a walk out, they are taking a political position and making a very bold statement that they consider their politics more important than education.
    This would be a lot more convincing and impactful if it wasn't obvious by now that if they were protesting something you politically agreed with then you would probably be cheering them on .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    This would be a lot more convincing and impactful if it wasn't obvious by now that if they were protesting something you politically agreed with then you would probably be cheering them on .
    How dare you imply this paragon of our forums may not be consistent, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    School is both for education and to prepare us to become adults. I see protesting as a civic duty that is a sign of becoming an adult.

Also, by forbidding protesting, they are also taking a political side. This is the best a school can do: allow those who want to protest to protest, but have a place for the students that disapprove.
    The school took a political position. They could have said that they would conduct classes normally, but if students didn't show up to school, it would be treated like as if they had called in sick. What they ended up doing was to facilitate the walk out, imposing their politics on the students.

What is worse, is that I see a government organization like a school, taking a position in support of a political protest, as a violation of the civil rights of the students. Just because you might agree with the grounds of the protest, what right does a school have to legitimize a political position in this way? What if the protest was instead to hold a 'Dear Leader Day' where everyone would literally worship Donald Trump like a god, wouldn't it be a violation of the rights of students for their school to tacitly endorse 'Dear Leader Day'?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    See my above post, no I would not approve of this type of action for any type of political activism.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

well that's what the true nazis do.

Why do we have schools? Why would a school consent to disrupting classes for a political stunt? Wouldn't consenting to this mean that they place the value of politics above their primary purpose of running classes that educate?
    Well, actually this could be seen as a disruption investment. They were protesting for what they think might reduce the amount of school shootings. The latter are quite disruptive themselves and can have much worse consequences than a brief walkout. They place the value of running classes pretty high and would not do such protest for any policy issue - just for one that is about a far greater danger to the education of kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    The school took a political position. They could have said that they would conduct classes normally, but if students didn't show up to school, it would be treated like as if they had called in sick. What they ended up doing was to facilitate the walk out, imposing their politics on the students.

What is worse, is that I see a government organization like a school, taking a position in support of a political protest, as a violation of the civil rights of the students. Just because you might agree with the grounds of the protest, what right does a school have to legitimize a political position in this way? What if the protest was instead to hold a 'Dear Leader Day' where everyone would literally worship Donald Trump like a god, wouldn't it be a violation of the rights of students for their school to tacitly endorse 'Dear Leader Day'?
    Oh spare me your false platitudes and concern. They took a position you don't like, and now you complain about it. You've never cared about this before.

also, super hyperbole overload batman. Why are you always so dramatic in being against what people do?

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    How crazy would it have it been if someone shot up the protests against guns while massive amount of students were all clumped together outside the safety of the school.
    You're fucked up, please seek help!
    Guns don't kill people! Toddlers kill people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Sounds like he was suspended over insubordination, not because he didn't walk out.

He was given two options:

1. Join the protest

2. Go to Study Hall with everyone else who wasn't participating in the protests (probably because you know, its hard to teach normally when a good chunk of students aren't there + the teachers needing to make sure the student body stays safe which means not being in the classrooms)

He decided that "I'm going to stay right here" which wasn't an option presented for him. Schools aren't a democracy, he doesn't get a say in what he's being told to do. He was suspended.

Nothing to see here.
    Its fucking stupid, why the teachers were allowed to walk out is beyond me. Teachers should have stayed in every classroom. This entire stupid fucking walkout is pointless as nothing will happen as a result and so far iv seen several videos of the shitbag children that walked out going into stores and wrecking them durring thier walkout. There is a video of a wallmart that had shit everywhere from the fucking children.

10+ Year Old Account

See my above post, no I would not approve of this type of action for any type of political activism.
    If you say so mate. I'll keep this in mind and am looking forward to you being consistent with your values in the future .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    There is a video of a wallmart that had shit everywhere from the fucking children.
    I'm pretty sure that's how Walmarts look normally...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Well, actually this could be seen as a disruption investment. They were protesting for what they think might reduce the amount of school shootings. The latter are quite disruptive themselves and can have much worse consequences than a brief walkout. They place the value of running classes pretty high and would not do such protest for any policy issue - just for one that is about a far greater danger to the education of kids.
    I see one of the major reasons of school shootings being the children in the class's Either bullying or other signs. Walking out wont fix that. Getting kids to not be fuckwits to eachother would be a big start.

He basically protested a protest and the original protest wasn't disciplined but this one was. Sounds fair. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's how Walmarts look normally...
    Yeh no it isnt but nice try being a smartass.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/16...t-protest.html

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    well that's what the true nazis do.
    Nah, they'd have just fed him to their dogs - or tortured him till he confessed that his entire family were jewish.

Authority and fascism. There's a difference and combined they become worse than you can imagine...

Please stop using "nazi" when it doesn't fit the description.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    He basically protested a protest and the original protest wasn't disciplined but this one was. Sounds fair. /s
    Learned the lesson: strength in numbers.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Yeh no it isnt but nice try being a smartass.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/16...t-protest.html
    Then arrest them for vandalism, because unless the protest itself was an excuse to cause trouble, it shouldn't be hampered just because you don't like the cause. Like WBC frustrates me but they should still be allowed to protest.