Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    The Death Knights Gul'dan made were human knight corpses. It's arguable that they were at least SOMEWHAT different, but they're certainly a lot closer to Arthas than Sunwalker Druids to Paladins.

Death Coil, Death and Decay, Summon Undead. Whole nine yards.

That said, of -course- I don't think they're a real, viable, option. Just saying that if the Devs wanted to give Mag'har Orcs DK they -could- by massaging the lore.
    The DK starter zone essentially stipulates that all PC Death Knights must have been raised by Arthas just prior to the events of Wotlk. They could, however, easily justify allied race DKs by having their quest chain begin on present-day Acherus. From there, they could either be:

1. Teleported to the original starter zone as a 'vision of the past', to understand what it means to be Ebon Blade.

-OR-

2. Put through a much smaller quest chain to learn the basics, before being sent out into the world.

I mean, the devs don't even need to massage the lore here, since the Ebon Blade is constantly raising new Death Knights. They just need to not be lazy.

It be interesting to see just how the Horde brings them in, and what classes they will be allowed to use as playable.

Will some skin colors be tied to certain classes only due to lore? That could be interesting, though potentially frustrating to some people.

Warrior - Obviously.

Deathknight - Unlikely, but I can see this actually being a thing if Blizzard wanted it. Between Teron, even if yes he wasn't the modernly envisioned Death Knight, and the fact that you can just make death knights now Blizzard has every excuse to throw these in should they choose.

Paladins - Almost certainly not going to happen. You would have to create lore and surrounding supporting lore just to get it to work. Unless the local Draenei converted a few to following the Naaru or they really kicked Ancestor Worship up a notch I just don't see it. Doesn't seem to be in the cards at all.

Shaman - With the Cipher of Damnation foiled there's no reason these guys can't be shamans along with having every possible reason to be them in the first place.

Hunter - Again pretty obviously. You have whole clans dedicated to the archetype.

Demon Hunter - Unless Blizzard has something really special in mind I'm going to say probably a big Nah.

Rogue - Don't see any reason why they wouldn't.

Druid - While amusing to speculate on I don't see this being a thing. Who would they learn it from. Why would they go down that road. What would their forms be. Would that jive with their long standing war of existence with the Primals. Again I just don't see it in the cards other than one Orc, green mind you, in Warspear that seems to imply that she might be a druid. Regular orcs getting Druids is more likely than this.

Monk - I was going to give these guys a big fat Nah along with Druids and Paladins, but then I remembered something. There's actually already a precedent for this, even if it's a teeny tiny one. Namely Bruto here.

I'm going to have to bump Mag'har Monk up to a tentative Yeah.

Mage - These guys actually have more lore backing to them than regular orc mages. One of the terms of surrender of High Maul to the Iron Horde was the teaching of the Arcane to the orcs by the ogres. Which is way more compelling than regular orcs just going to live in Undercity for a bit and coming back with arcane knowledge. I personally adored the Ogre Mage stuff in WoD, so I'm probably biased but I'm going to have to say yeah, I think this'll be in there.

Priest - I think ... yes, but mostly because this will be the thing that sets them apart from regular orcs. Remember that priests are one of the most mindbogglingly flexible of classes capable of accommodating just about any religion that isn't explicitly one of the other classes (for instance: regular orcs seem to get almost all their spirituality from their shamans, but then somehow trolls don't). I can see the Shadowmoon orcs having taken up more priestly worship and it being justified via Ancestral Worship and Shadow Shamans or whatever you want to call them.

Warlock - I'm actually going to say Nah here. I'm not one of these people who thinks that just because your race's culture is against demons means that you don't have warlocks - that isn't true in almost all cases except Draenei whose very existence is defined by it (and even then let's not forget the Sargerei). Mag'har orcs, however, are also kind of defined by their refusal of the demons and fel magic. Throw in they would inevitably turn green and I think it's pretty likely they'll not have brown orc warlocks.

So in short:
    Definitely Warriors, Shamans, Hunters, Rogues, and Mages.
    Probably Monks and Priests.
    Maybe Death Knights.
    Probably not Warlocks, Paladins, Demon Hunters and Druids.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Did you forget as soon as MoP released every race in the game except maybe Draenei could immediately roll Monk?
    And the lore for that was already established.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaron View Post
    Highmountain tauren and nightborne were able to learn the way of the monk in only few weeks on the ptr.;-) Monks are on AU Draenor for years now. Mag'har have a high possibility to be monks.
    How did our normal orcs become monks then?
    The Pandaren have been traveling around Azeroth on a giant turtle for 10,000 years. Of course, any race that had contact with them prior to the Sundering will have had ample time to learn the ways of the monk, and by the time of MoP, the Draenei have been on the planet for nearly a decade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steth View Post
    Well, like what everyone in the thread is saying, its pretty certain we'll see at least Warriors, Rogues, Hunters, and Shamans for Mag'har Orcs.

Although I don't see myself rolling this class for Mag'har Orc, I hope we'll see Monks for them. Even though Monks are tied to Pandarens, the class fits so well for Burning Blade Orcs.
    How so? The Burning Blade are the Blademasters of Draenor.

P.S. The class doesn't fit a lot of races, and outside of appeasing monk fans, there's no reason to shoehorn it onto Draenor races.
    Last edited by In Ogres We Trust; 2018-03-17 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by In Ogres We Trust View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The Pandaren have been traveling around Azeroth on a giant turtle for 10,000 years. Of course, any race that had contact with them prior to the Sundering will have had ample time to learn the ways of the monk, and by the time of MoP, the Draenei have been on the planet for nearly a decade.

- - - Updated - - -

How so? The Burning Blade are the Blademasters of Draenor.

P.S. The class doesn't fit a lot of races, and outside of appeasing monk fans, there's no reason to shoehorn it onto Draenor races.
    Thematically, the orcs of the Burning Blade clan are agile, wear beads and lighter armor. On top of their martial culture as being inspired by Samurais with their Bushido code of honor. May seem weird at first, but the Burning Blade clan can translate to sword-wielding windwalker monks extremely well for the reasons I've stated.

I cant see the Mag'har Orcs being able to play a shaman, Warrior or hunter

So iam guessing they will be locks, Druids and paladins

Just kidding those 3 are the classes that Mag'har Orcs should definetly not be able to be and i think i could add Mage to that list but that would mean the Mag'har wont have many classes to choose from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warrior, Hunters,shaman, rogue, mage, priest

5+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=How did our normal orcs become monks then?[/QUOTE]

I know there is a lot of stereotype in the Horde, but Green Orcs have evolve from simple Brutish fel infused warriors, to engineers, naval tacticians, we have brewers, even scholars. They evolved through the 4 Wars, but the Iron Horde is still the primitive Orcs.
    Now why do i think Monks are not in the list well, the same situation with Lightforged not being Monks, they could follow a ritual of training, where being a warrior and a hunter are the principles of victory, we are just looking at the primitive Horde.

Every race has warrior, and. since gnomes got hunters, now every race has a hunter. So those two are the most obvious. Shamans are also obvious considering orcs affinity with the elements. Past that, it's harder to gauge. Everyone thought Zandalari could be paladins because it's supported in the lore and there are NPC Zandalari "paladins". Look what happened there. So with the Mag'har orcs, you can really only for sure say 3 classes. But there will likely be more than that. They'll probably have as many as the lightforged draenei. Rogue would be a very safe bet in that case. But then it's the question of anything else. Not likely they'd have fewer than 5 classes as that's the amount lightforged draenei and even highmountain tauren have. So more than likely the 5th will either be priest, mage, or even warlock.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Monks are tied to Pandaren right now, so it is unlikely.
    What's the rationale there?
    Highmountain can be Monks and they haven't had contact with them until now.
    Nightborne can be Monks and all they did was recently set up a little training area in Suramar once they were added as allied races.

Monks were present with us when we went to Draenor, so Draenor Orcs have had more interaction with Monks than the 2 races listed above.

If they have the discipline to channel the elements, then channeling Chi and unarmed combat would be cake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did I miss any lore? All I remember is them sending ambassadors over to Horde and Alliance immediately as all races were unlocked for Monks. If those ambassadors could teach greenskins, they could teach brownskins as well. They aren't racist.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

5+ Year Old Account
    And they magically became masters of the practice within one to two years (or that the Iron Horde even considered monks to be a worthy practice for their people).
    When MoP came out, all of the races up to Cata instantly became masters of the practice, the very second the expansion came out you could roll a Gnome Monk and train under a Gnome Master. Where was your eye-rolling then?

5+ Year Old Account
    Alternatively, they could've been studying from some Monk NPC follower who stayed in Draenor in the past when the portal opens up between Azeroth and modern-day AU Draenor, some 40 years later. THEY'RE ALL MONKS.

Their racial abilities? MONK ABILITIES. That get more powerful if they're monks!
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Allied race characters start in the present anyway, they can always just have a pandaren trainer in the zone, same as with the four Allied Races we already have.
    3, LF can't be monks for whatever reason. No pandaren allowed on the Vindicar apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaron View Post
    Highmountain tauren and nightborne were able to learn the way of the monk in only few weeks on the ptr.;-) Monks are on AU Draenor for years now. Mag'har have a high possibility to be monks.
    How did our normal orcs become monks then?
    There's a pandaren monk trainer in Durotar.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    Orcs can't commune with the light
    Whats your source on this? Not saying you're wrong, just curious

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruul View Post
    Whats your source on this? Not saying you're wrong, just curious
    There's no source, everyone can commune with the Light, it just takes faith really.

5+ Year Old Account
    There's no orc in canon lore than can use holy magic.
    There's no Orc in canon that DOES use Holy Magic. DOES and CAN are different things.

No canonical Blood Elf used guns before, what? Mists? That doesn't mean they -couldn't- pick up a gun, they just didn't (Probably for aesthetic purposes and archery awesomeness). Even though the PC belf could pick up a gun as a hunter and shoot shit in BC they weren't canonically using hand-cannons.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's no reason to think that an orc couldn't learn to channel the Light, it's just that the spiritual foundation of orcish culture is shamanism, so it would be a really uncommon occurrence.

At the very least I think it would be reasonable for the Shadowmoon Clan to be Priests, given their connection to K'ara (the Dark Star), which was purified by Velen. Now, I don't think Paladin works as a class for orcs, thematically, but K'ara and the draenei would definitely open a window for that possibility with the Mag'har.

5+ Year Old Account
    I would argue using a gun is simple, it's not like harnessing and weaving magic which not anyone, in fact few people lorewise can do
    Nah, it's not -as- simple as a gun. But there was a first priest. A first mage. A first warlock. All of them based their spells and mastery of spellcraft on fuck-all.

And the Light is a conscious power based on faith/belief/zealotry/whatever. So... Y'know. Just gotta convince it that you BELIEVE.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    There's no orc in canon lore than can use holy magic.
    Well, it's kinda complicated. For example, one of the core reasons as to why the orc shamans could even commune with their ancestral spirits, was because of the holy water of Oshu'gun, which was basically N'aaru juice.