Poll: Do you send a thank you email/letter after a job interview?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it was some high-end shit where I wanted to stay on good terms with the company, maybe. But generally no. If they don't hire you they don't give a fuck about you and your thank-yous.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    Always have, always will.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Most job positions are filled internally before interviews even begin but they have to interview a few people and in several instances they have to interview a couple external candidates and yes, minority candidates, so everything looks on the up and up and they don't get in trouble with HR.
    "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"
    "That is the only time a man can be brave."
    -Lord Eddard Stark

Fortunately have only had three job interviews and basically was hired on the spot in all 3 (in one the position was basically offered already and the interview was a formality). Didn't give out a thank you message for any of them.

Its probably not a bad idea if you're in a field where you have to send out a large quantity of applications with low yield.

Personally, I would actually count it against the potential employee if they did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    That's a good approach. I hope the feedback is helpful.
    nine times out of ten it's good, confident speaker etc etc. Then the usual we'd of loved to have you but we just had so many people applying with a higher qualification than you sooooo.

It's why I went to uni in the first place and staying on for a mphil and phd
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted
    It's about upholding your own standard imo. Do it for yourself, even if it has no effect on anything else.

didn't even know this was done. I think no one does this in my country? Either that or I've never heard of it.

Might be country-specific, or specific type of business-specific. Never heard of anyone doing that and it sounds bizzarre to me...why would you thank for an interview?

If I'm sending the thank you letter, its because they hired me. But I think the fact that they found a considerable employee in me, enough to get hired in the first place is thanks enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesDeLarge View Post
    Why would I thank somebody for a job interview?
    This; plus what do you expect them to do: 'hmm I wasn't gonna hire this guy but since he sent me such a nice email let's give him a shot.'

10+ Year Old Account
    I do

and I feel like a fool when weeks have gone by and they don't even keep they're word to let me know either way

and companies wonder why employee loyalty is dead

Deleted
    It depends.

Sending a email with your CV and not getting an answer is generally a: "You are not our candidate" so sending anything back could be akward unless you are gullible enough to think that the e-mail has been, by mistake, ignored. Going through more dedicate interview process where you talk to the employer and then they say you via-mail that you haven´t passed the hiring process I would advise to send a thank you later in response to the time they have invested in you with the hopes that if the candidate they chose doesn´t work you are at least the next on the line because if they wanted to interview you personally they showed some interest in you so you know that at some point they´ll think in you. In this case ending in good terms, even if they didn´t hire you, is always a good choice.

Deleted
    saying suck a dick always helps my ego

I've never done a "thank you" email or letter, but I have called as a follow-up.

No, I wouldn't. If I went to this hypothetical job interview, and wasn't chosen, then I don't see anything to thank for. For all intents and purposes, my time was wasted there for no gain. They also wasted their time, but by their own choosing.

I've had both sorts of interviews during the years; ones that are just a formality to start right away, and then ones where the interviews are more for future possible positions.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2018-03-17 at 06:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Yes you should absolutely send a thank-you email after an in-person interview. It takes 1 minute and zero effort, and it's a nice touch. If it seems ridiculous to thank someone for just considering you for a position, realize that your interviewers are employees who have normal work to do and are probably very busy, and they took time out of their busy day to get to know you and gauge you. You're thanking them for their time.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    My theory: not sending a thank you email made me more appealing because they were thinking to themselves, "Wow this guy didn't even bother thanking us, he must have a lot going for him, better snatch him up quickly".
    lol

As someone who hires, I can confirm I have never thought this ever, and I doubt any other executive doing hiring has either.

I have received some thank you letters (one was even written by hand not that long ago) and e-mails. It is a nice touch, but we have typically made up our mind whether to proceed or not based on the interview in most cases.

Now, if I'm looking at 2 equally good candidates, and I can only afford to hire one...that e-mail might actually make a difference (but all else needs to be equal).

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Might be country-specific, or specific type of business-specific. Never heard of anyone doing that and it sounds bizzarre to me...why would you thank for an interview?
    If you are in a competitive job environment, then you do whatever you need to in order to stand out.
    It can never hurt (unless you make glaring typos or write something inappropriate) and your just be the difference maker.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Nope. But then every job I've gone for, I've been offered in the room.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day