Are you kidding? You understand the Eagles taking Wentz? Wentz was projected in like, the 2nd-3rd round before the Senior Bowl week the year of his draft. He was just as unproven as any of these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Are you kidding? You understand the Eagles taking Wentz? Wentz was projected in like, the 2nd-3rd round before the Senior Bowl week the year of his draft. He was just as unproven as any of these guys.
    The only glaring issue Wentz had was the division he played in. And on that note, he absolute decimated it and won the FCS national championship every season he was there. He was a proven winner. He also ran a prototypical NFL offense which is ridiculously complex by college standards. He had full control of it, with complete autonomy to change plays and looks depending on what he saw. He was shown to be an individual of high character and intelligence. He had size, arm strength, solid accuracy, and showed a proven high level of athleticism. Those of us who actually saw his college games aren't shocked to see his ability to escape and improvise.

Wentz moving up the draft boards was a function of his senior bowl and proday performance causing people to actually look at his greater body of work--not strictly because of those days (i.e., not a JaMarcus Russell situation). And when you actually looked at him you saw these things (admittedly, I do watch a good amount of FCS ball due to some friends who are really into it). So, yes, I did see it. No i'm not kidding. I was 100% on board the Wentz wagon before the draft and I was hoping the Rams would go after Goff, as I didn't see the upside I saw in Wentz.

If you can't see the incredibly obvious that Wentz's college profile was ridiculously more impressive than any QB in this draft, then I don't know what to tell you.
    Last edited by Espo; 2018-03-17 at 10:30 PM.

How dare you try to reassure us bills fans, Espo. I'm supposed to cancel Christmas and have my meal card stamped "no dessert".
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Every single QB coming out of the draft will be unproven. It is the ones that are hyped up because of their "ceiling" and not what they actually are able to do are the ones I will never understand. This year that is Josh Allen and Sam Darnold. Wentz at least jumped up because of his actual passing ability and not because he had a big arm or is really athletic.

On the jumping up the board after the Senior Bowl week note, Kyle Lauletta was by far the best QB that week from what the Denver media were reporting. He seems like someone the Pats or Saints will take a shot at with a mid round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    How dare you try to reassure us bills fans, Espo. I'm supposed to cancel Christmas and have my meal card stamped "no dessert".
    I'm not saying woe is me like the message boards, but it's because I think we have a shot at trading up to #2. I don't see the point in staying at #12 and continuing to not draft top 5 talent at QB. If we stay at 12, and worse yet, pass on Jackson who's probably going to be the best guy there at that point, then it'll be more mediocrity, and eventually Beane/McDermott's job. The top QB gambling game is a pain in the ass and fraught with risk - but it's the only game in town.

I used to be a huge proponent of "defense wins championships." It's simply just not true any more. You've had maybe two defense-led SBs in the past 20 years, the Broncos a few years ago, and the Ravens against TB like 20 years ago. And regardless, our defense is nowhere near being that dominant anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least Colts fans have something to be happy about after their free agency inactivity.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Russell Bodine visiting Buffalo.

The moment the Bills sign him is the moment the Bengals-Bills bromance comes to a tragic end..

I mean...sign him! His whiff block technique allows him to get to the 2nd level faster than any center!

10+ Year Old Account
    Patriots trade their 5th rounder for one of Oakland's sixth and Patterson.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oakland giving away quality players to the Patriots, everything old is new again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Patriots trade their 5th rounder for one of Oakland's sixth and Patterson.
    I kinda like it. From what I'm seeing on my twitter time line, Patterson is a plus athlete when it comes to special teams (not just as a return man, but as a gunner too) and can contribute in minor ways on offense as well (mostly go routes, deep posts and deep curls) but that's basically what the Patriots need, since we lost our kick returner in Dion Lewis.

There's just one issue.

I'm praying this is not cause they are getting rid of Matt Slater our 7x probowl special teams captain and spiritual leader of the team. Cause that would suck.

I know he's getting older, but he;s the one breaking the post game huddle and being a leader where it comes to off field stuff for the team. Belchick has shown other veterans the door one year early instead of 1 year too late, but it would be a tough pill if he did it to Slater.

I know that probably sounds stupid over a guy that seems purely special teams, but it's true. Special guy who's impact would be missed more off the field then on.

But yeah, let's hope this is not an attempt to replace Lewis AND Slater, but just Lewis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rumours suggesting that the opening game of the season will be the Eagles (obviously) playing the Vikings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackleslap View Post
    Rumours suggesting that the opening game of the season will be the Eagles (obviously) playing the Vikings.
    Would be a shame to waste such a good game right off the bat when both teams are likely still figuring things out. But I looked, and there's not much else they can put for that first game.

Atlanta is next best I guess, but that definitely doesn't have the draw that a rematch against the Vikings would have. They're going to promote this all summer so a game where people are really into does help.

I'd put Atlanta week 1 and Vikings in the later stages of the season, but that's just me. I want to watch Cousins and the Vikings and Wentz and the Eagles going at it full strength and not Still-learning-the-playbook-Cousins Vikings against Probably-Nick-Foles-and-not-Wentz Eagles in week 1.

We'll know soon-ish, 3 or 4 weeks from now the schedule should release. It's been the week of 17-23 April for 2 straight years, so I assume it will be the same this year. Exactly a month from now, Thursday the 19th of April would be a good date, I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Would be a shame to waste such a good game right off the bat when both teams are likely still figuring things out. But I looked, and there's not much else they can put for that first game.
    Yep, I did the same, Falcons was next best. I'd rather the Falcons play the Eagles later so they can get wrecked right before a Saints match up and those are usually later in the season.

Cody Latimer signed with the Giants. Going to suck losing him on special teams, because he is really good there. He was a pretty big waste of a 2nd round pick at WR though, especially out of that draft class. Also means Denver's current #3 WR is either Jordan Taylor (kind of slow, tall possession guy) or Carlos Henderson (IRd because he was sucking too badly in camp and ate weed at a traffic stop this offseason). On the plus side, it won't be Jordan Norwood.

The Su'a Cravens to Denver talk is picking up again. Almost feeling like the Joe Thomas talk the last few years, so doubt it will happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Patriots released LB Shae McClellin. Spent last year on IR due to 2 seperate concussions. This was not much of a surprise, but I wasn;t 100% sure it would happen either.

Does mean that Patriots need linebackers more than ever. I suspect a free agent signing or 2 is coming to follow up on this release.

Tackel still needs to be signed too. Cowboys have both our other OT free agents in for a visit, so going to be interesting if they sign one of them or if the Patriots are still in the mix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mike Pouncey's off to the Chargers http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-mike-pouncey/

Ok, is it just me or is this offseason been wilder than usual?

Also, I have no idea what the Seahawks are up to right now...
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Most years AJ McCarron would've been the best QB available, but there were four legitimate starting QBs ahead of him, made for some intrigue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post

Also, I have no idea what the Seahawks are up to right now...
    Seems so yeah. Quite a few trades too, and the whole QB intrigue, which means Vikings suddenly are legit superbowl contenders (if they weren't already with previous team minus QB).

That reminds me of an interesting question that the media usually loves, but I love for all the wrong reasons, cause it's typically a team that fails when the actual football is being played:

Who WON the offseason so far?

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Seems so yeah. Quite a few trades too, and the whole QB intrigue, which means Vikings suddenly are legit superbowl contenders (if they weren't already with previous team minus QB).

That reminds me of an interesting question that the media usually loves, but I love for all the wrong reasons, cause it's typically a team that fails when the actual football is being played:

Who WON the offseason so far?
    Rams. +1 if they sign Suh.

Feeling pretty good about a regression there too.

And I'd say the Vikings were legit contenders before it, including 2017. Adding players (Cousins included) isn't/wasn't their problem. Their inability to show up in a big game was their problem, as that was a complete and utter failure from the entire team. I don't think Cousins changes much for their status. They firmly have superbowl potential, they just need to play up to it against real competition in the playoffs.