Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't much care if you smoke in privacy, but if you start smoking in public I will actively avoid you. The smell is awful and it's simply not healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by xRATJARx View Post
    No one says that it kills you instantly, nice strawman attempt. Youre actually fucking retarded.
    you know what sarcasm is? no? thought so
    Be passionate about the craft, achievements, events and community.
    But do not worship the machine, pedestal nor system.
    You cannot afford to be blind, for yourself and others.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly despise anyone smoking near me, I literally recoil in disgust and have to cover my mouth no matter where I am. How someone can even start doing such a silly thing as to suck smoke into their lungs literally boggles my mind, you know there are similar chemicals in cigs as a car exhaust?, and what happens when people pump their exhaust into their car while sitting in it. Yeah, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSyn View Post
    That is obviously a me problem, and I would put in headphones or move to another stop. It's his right to listen to whatever crap he wants.

Do you guys really think it's cool to go around imposing your preferences and dislikes on other people?
    I told you, headphones were not an option, nor is going to another stop. You're not allowed to change the scenario to suite your preference, just like people are not able to change the reasons they have for being at certain places or what they have on them.

Now, please, do answer the question again without changing the set rules. Is it a you or a them problem?

I will also ask you to answer the same question you pose: Do you guys really think it's cool to go around imposing your preferences and dislikes on other people?

I will now answer that. Its not about my disapproval of smoking. They can do as they please. However, when it begins to impact upon my health, either due to my asthma or my allergy to smoke, its no longer a matter of opinion. Its a matter of my well being. At the point that my health is being hindered, it is absolutely acceptable to say what I must to try to stop the cause of it. Smokers need to be respectful of others around them. They need to understand its not about them. If they cannot be respectful, then I wont either. Its not right that I have to tolerate being around smoke, nor should it ever be expected.

There is a saying I like "There is a time and place for everything". A lot of smokers seem to forget this. By you saying "imposing your preferences", all I see is you trying to impose Your preferences. Smoke is linked to health risks. Its not your right to Ever impede on someones health. That is why laws are in place. Because they wouldn't accept this fact on their own. So now they are forced to.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2018-03-17 at 11:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    I tell them to please stop smoking, and 99% percent of the time they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    I honestly despise anyone smoking near me, I literally recoil in disgust and have to cover my mouth no matter where I am. How someone can even start doing such a silly thing as to suck smoke into their lungs literally boggles my mind, you know there are similar chemicals in cigs as a car exhaust?, and what happens when people pump their exhaust into their car while sitting in it. Yeah, exactly.
    quite a bit of it is a product of a bygone era where smoking was promoted as popular and cool, doubt theres any smoker that started because it tastes good

As someone who smoked for ten years and quit a long time ago, I actually don't mind it. I worked alongside a coworker for about 2 months on a project recently, and he would frequently light up. It really didn't bother me too much. And even though I'm aware of second-hand health risks, it wasn't that big of a deal to me. You can score a lot of points by not being "that guy" who strenuously objects to cigarette smoke.

I wouldn't let him smoke in my house though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I told you, headphones were not an option, nor is going to another stop. You're not allowed to change the scenario to suite your preference, just like people are not able to change the reasons they have for being at certain places or what they have on them.

Now, please, do answer the question again without changing the set rules. Is it a you or a them problem?

I will also ask you to answer the same question you pose: Do you guys really think it's cool to go around imposing your preferences and dislikes on other people?

I will now answer that. Its not about my disapproval of smoking. They can do as they please. However, when it beings to impact upon my health, either due to my asthma or my allergy to smoke, its no longer a matter of opinion. Its a matter of my well being. At the point that my health is being hindered, it is absolutely acceptable to say what I must to try to stop the cause of it. Smokers need to be respectful of others around them. They need to understand its not about them. If they cannot be respectful, then I wont either. Its not right that I have to tolerate being around smoke, nor should it ever be expected.

There is a saying I like "There is a time and place for everything". A lot of smokers seem to forget this. By you saying "imposing your preferences", all I see is you trying to impose Your preferences. Smoke is linked to health risks. Its not your right to Ever impede someones health risk. That is why laws are in place. Because they wouldn't accept this fact on their own. So now they are forced to.
    your medical reasons can be compared to their addiction reasons though

15+ Year Old Account
    The reality is I would tolerate it. Just like I would tolerate a smoker, smoking next to me.

I lived in NYC for many years, and I've seen and tolerated it all. There's very little that would phase me.

Is it annoying, sure! Is it my place to infringe on their freedoms? Hell no.

Now that above said, in my country it is illegal to smoke in public spaces. So yeah, in that case i probably would say something, but only if it was bothering me.
    Last edited by Byleth; 2018-03-17 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Additional thought
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by Demontjuh View Post
    your medical reasons can be compared to their addiction reasons though
    No, it cannot. One is a given choice, able to be made. Able to be broken.(the addiction) The other is a condition that must be lived with, regardless of what is done. An allergy is not something that can be removed from their existence, only managed by avoiding the allergen by any means they may take.

Yes, some have addictive tendencies that does make it easier for them to become hooked. However, that too can be managed by recognizing the signs and the behavioral patters that lead to it, and then avoiding it.

I would venture to ask how you would consider a choice to be on the same level as an uncontrollable allergic reaction to something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSyn View Post
    The reality is I would tolerate it. Just like I would tolerate a smoker, smoking next to me.

I lived in NYC for many years, and I've seen and tolerated it all. There's very little that would phase me.

Is it annoying, sure! Is it my place to infringe on their freedoms? Hell no.

Now that above said, in my country it is illegal to smoke in public spaces. So yeah, in that case i probably would say something, but only if it was bothering me.
    Now, the next question: Is it your right to be able to infringe upon someones health? Is it your right to do something that can directly lead to someone becoming hurt, ill or even dead? Focus on this question, and this question alone.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

It's their life.

/shrug

/fades into the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    It's their life.

/shrug

/fades into the shadows
    Indeed it is. They can do as they please, until it starts to hinder the health of others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Invasive, disgusting, destructive, inconsiderate, weak-minded, and should be illegal in public areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    It's their life.

/shrug

/fades into the shadows
    It starts to become my life when I breathe in their waste.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    people look cool doing it and I like the smell. I don't do it because it's expensive and unhealthy but I envy people that do.

No, it cannot. One is a given choice, able to be made. Able to be broken.(the addiction) The other is a condition that must be lived with, regardless of what is done. An allergy is not something that can be removed from their existence, only managed by avoiding the allergen by any means they may take.

Yes, some have addictive tendencies that does make it easier for them to become hooked. However, that too can be managed by recognizing the signs and the behavioral patters that lead to it, and then avoiding it.

I would venture to ask how you would consider a choice to be on the same level as an uncontrollable allergic reaction to something.

Now, the next question: Is it your right to be able to infringe upon someones health? Is it your right to do something that can directly lead to someone becoming hurt, ill or even dead? Focus on this question, and this question alone.
    said addiction has not always been a choice for people, more often then not its 'follow your peers' and 'do as they do' social pressure, more so a few years back when it was the thing to do.
    an addiction is quite a thing to take serious and not wave off the hand as something as clear cut as 'a choice'

as for your question, no. but its the kind of question that can't be answered with 'just' a yes/no. just like you won't suddenly answer 'yes' to the same question turned around when your allergy or asthma does get a cure.

you know what sarcasm is? no? thought so
    You know scientists have proven the myriad of detrimental effects caused directly by smoking and from second hand smoke? No? Thought so

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    people look cool doing it and I like the smell. I don't do it because it's expensive and unhealthy but I envy people that do.
    What is it about people smoking that makes you think they're 'cool'? Honest question.

said addiction has not always been a choice for people, more often then not its 'follow your peers' and 'do as they do' social pressure, more so a few years back when it was the thing to do.
    an addiction is quite a thing to take serious and not wave off the hand as something as clear cut as 'a choice'

as for your question, no. but its the kind of question that can't be answered with 'just' a yes/no. just like you won't suddenly answer 'yes' to the same question turned around when your allergy or asthma does get a cure.
    I would love to be rid of the asthma or pesky allergy. Its not a pleasant thing.

At the end of the day, its a choice. They gave in to the peer pressure. Addiction is a rough thing, but its ultimately one that can be cured and one that was chosen. It can be answered with a yes or no. Is it more difficult for some rather then others? Yes. Could it be forced away? Yes again. The problem is the person who chooses to become addicted or continue to be addicted.

From a pure, medical stand point, addiction can absolutely be cured. A statement I wish could be said for my asthma or allergy. A statement I am sure those with allergies that could kill them would agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by xRATJARx View Post
    You know scientists have proven the myriad of detrimental effects caused directly by smoking and from second hand smoke? No? Thought so
    indeed they have said so, i agree. i also said that in my previous post.
    what the media is saying doesn't reflect those studies on a 1 by 1 basis.
    passing by a smoker every day in the open air does not have the same result as what the media shouts, find me a study that explicitly states that inhaling 2nd hand smoke from someone in passing has xy results with comparisons to lets say car exhausts and still come out as THE baddy.

i agree smoking is bad but i won't agree the the hate/fear hype its getting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely!

People infringe on other people's rights in a way that affects them everyday in the USA. Governments thinks it's perfectly OK to tell woman what they can and can't do with their bodies. They think it's OK to tell gay men they are second class citizens. They can deny basic healthcare to millions of poor Americans.

And you're worried about inhaling some second hand smoke. Get a life mate.
    Here is something to believe in!

indifferent, I would be a hypocrite to say that I hate smokers considering that I am a smoker.

Unless of course I really hate myself, which I don't.