Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Demontjuh View Post
    indeed they have said so, i agree. i also said that in my previous post.
    what the media is saying doesn't reflect those studies on a 1 by 1 basis.
    passing by a smoker every day in the open air does not have the same result as what the media shouts, find me a study that explicitly states that inhaling 2nd hand smoke from someone in passing has xy results with comparisons to lets say car exhausts and still come out as THE baddy.

i agree smoking is bad but i won't agree the the hate/fear hype its getting.
    Its common fucking knowledge mate, and people aren't sucking fumes out of an exhaust pipe are they? There is no hate/fear involved whatsoevever, you just can't accept the fact that smoking doesn't just harm the idiot with the stick hanging out of their mouth, but also their family/friends/strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSyn View Post
    Absolutely!
    So, you think it is you're right to impede someones health to the point of possibly killing them? No, it is never your right. Under any circumstances. I don't care if you disagree with the government. That is why they have put laws into place to stop smokers from smoking in public places. Because it can, and has, killed people.

And you're worried about inhaling some second hand smoke. Get a life mate.
    Since I have asthma and an allergy to smoke, I am. Saying to get a life is not helping your argument. I was hoping for a civilized discussion with you. However, if this is the attitude you will continue to display, then talking to you about smokers and how their smoking is of harm to others wont yield any results, nor a meaningful conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

I feel like smokers stink like ashtrays and should stay away from people, but they all have the potential to quit and be good to have around.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I would love to be rid of the asthma or pesky allergy. Its not a pleasant thing.

At the end of the day, its a choice. They gave in to the peer pressure. Addiction is a rough thing, but its ultimately one that can be cured and one that was chosen. It can be answered with a yes or no. Is it more difficult for some rather then others? Yes. Could it be forced away? Yes again. The problem is the person who chooses to become addicted or continue to be addicted.

From a pure, medical stand point, addiction can absolutely be cured. A statement I wish could be said for my asthma or allergy. A statement I am sure those with allergies that could kill them would agree with.
    so like women who eventually gave in to men in power, had 'just a choice' pressure or no? theres no way either 'yes/no' could have life altering situations.

theres more angles then that, its not clear cut as you like to make everything seem. pretty sure somewhere someone on the world has a legit medical reason to smoke or else he would xy. what would you say to him smoking next to you? its not that simple.

besides that i hear way more people yelling their hate for it rather then helping the smokers get rid of their addiction.
    its all passive help or pressure, raising prices, dumb ass picture on packages(which really aint for those already smoking), bans here and there.
    when was the time you heard someone take in a wayward smoker to cure him of oh so bad thing thats disrupting peoples lives.
    Be passionate about the craft, achievements, events and community.
    But do not worship the machine, pedestal nor system.
    You cannot afford to be blind, for yourself and others.

I smoke specifically to irritate the crybaby anti smokers tbh.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

15+ Year Old Account
    *snip*
    My argument is that it's your choice to stay near the smoker. You can move away, hell you can politely ask them to stop. But it's your choice to stay.

If there's no law against it where you live, then -sadly- allergies/condition or not, it's your problem, not theirs.
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by xRATJARx View Post
    Its common fucking knowledge mate, and people aren't sucking fumes out of an exhaust pipe are they? There is no hate/fear involved whatsoevever, you just can't accept the fact that smoking doesn't just harm the idiot with the stick hanging out of their mouth, but also their family/friends/strangers.
    again you fail reading and resort to swearing, 2nd hand smoke from being in the same room as a smoker does not equal passing by a smoker on the street, thats all im saying.
    is that 1 breath you take from that smoker who passed by you on the way to work is as bad as whatever air you breath the rest of the day.
    and how much more did that chance encounter add to the toxicity.

you think what comes out of a car exhaust just disappears the moment it leaves the pipe? take a deep breath, yes thats exhaust fumes.
    you've been breathing that since you where born, nvm the 1 smoker that passed by you that one time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dated a smoker. It was basically a non-issue, he only ever smoked outside and ALWAYS changed his shirt/brushed his teeth when he was done as a courtesy to me. I respected that, that's fine.

If you stand next to me and start smoking in public for no reason, I hate you.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

so like women who eventually gave in to men in power, had 'just a choice' pressure or no? theres no way either 'yes/no' could have life altering situations.

theres more angles then that, its not clear cut as you like to make everything seem. pretty sure somewhere someone on the world has a legit medical reason to smoke or else he would xy. what would you say to him smoking next to you? its not that simple.

besides that i hear way more people yelling their hate for it rather then helping the smokers get rid of their addiction.
    its all passive help or pressure, raising prices, dumb ass picture on packages(which really aint for those already smoking), bans here and there.
    when was the time you heard someone take in a wayward smoker to cure him of oh so bad thing thats disrupting peoples lives.
    Your first example is not comparable to an addiction. Its an entirely different situation and I am honestly not sure why you brought it up. This isn't a discussion about that.

There really are no more angles to an addiction. The only changing factors would be how they began the addiction and if they want to break it or not. There is also not a legit reason to smoke a cigarette. Now, if you are speaking of weed, I wouldn't care. He needs it for medical purposes. I would not think twice of allowing him to smoke so that he can take care of himself. Though I may inquire as to why he wouldn't prefer to do it at home.

You cannot help someone with an addiction. Change must come from them. The only way one can help is by offering them the solution and tools to get clean when they are ready to do so. It may be in the form of keeping them from purchasing any more, or stopping them whenever you see them smoking. However, you cannot do it for them. This is where you produce a fallacy in your argument. You don't take in a smoker to cure them as you would take in someone who is sick and give them medicine.

Its also not a matter of opinion that they are disrupting peoples lives. Its a documented fact backed by medical research. 1,000 babies die a year from mothers who refuse to quit smoking while pregnant. Death is one of those things that is more then a "disruption". Its a permanent end.On average, 46,000 people Die yearly from second hand smoke. I got that number from the 2,500,000 people who have died as a result since 1964.

This is why I simply do not understand smokers. They do not seem to care that they could kill someone as a result of their second hand smoke. I would say that I do not understand why its still legal, but, money.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Not a fan of smoking at all, but as long as smokers don't bother other people I won't have any issues. I especially hate it when they smoke near babies or children, it seems so extremely selfish and careless when you put the health of a child at risk just for your own ''needs''. Also hate it when people smoke indoors... and sadly these people often happen to be my family.

My argument is that it's your choice to stay near the smoker. You can move away, hell you can politely ask them to stop. But it's your choice to stay.

If there's no law against it where you live, then -sadly- allergies/condition or not, it's your problem, not theirs.
    You are again ignoring the circumstances of why one would be there to begin with. There are laws in the us about being in public and smoking indoors.

You are purposefully ignoring all logic and reasoning to try to sway the argument in your favor. You do not get to choose what happens in life, nor if life dictates you be somewhere that a smoker decides to smoke

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    if u are in public waiting for a bus and someone starts smoking close to u, how does that make u feel? do u accept friends who smoke? can they smoke if they are ur place? would smoking be a bad sign in dating for u?
    i dont agree with it, but i also do not go out of my way to tell someone its bad and they should stop. if someone asks me to give my opinion, i let them know it, plain and honest. if someone next to me starts smoking i move. if they feel bad about me moving, they are welcome to stop sucking on their cancer stick. if i go to someone else's house and they allow smoking and other people smoke i dont care, its their house their rules. but similarly i do not allow smoking in my house and car.

im already married so the dating this doesnt really apply, but if it was, i wouldnt date a smoker.

edit: also ppl who smoke in public spaces, in my opinion, are simply reckless and selfish.
    Last edited by Minikin; 2018-03-18 at 12:46 AM.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate smokers. Not just the "Disease Cloud Aura" but the arrogance. You need to ban smoking to keep smokers from hurting other people, they just don't give a fuck about others. If the smoking ban was lifted im 100% sure people would smoke everywhere like schools,hospitals, indoors etc. Coz most of them are shitty people.

I wonder what would happen if i just sprayed people randomly while passing by with a stinky gas that causes cancer.
    -Oh yes, it stinks and it's bad for your health but i'm addicted to spraying it around and it's my righ"gets punched in the face"

Smells nice. I like it.

I’m not a smoker though.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    they smell and i have bad lungs so i hate when one is smoking near me.

Your first example is not comparable to an addiction. Its an entirely different situation and I am honestly not sure why you brought it up. This isn't a discussion about that.

There really are no more angles to an addiction. The only changing factors would be how they began the addiction and if they want to break it or not. There is also not a legit reason to smoke a cigarette. Now, if you are speaking of weed, I wouldn't care. He needs it for medical purposes. I would not think twice of allowing him to smoke so that he can take care of himself. Though I may inquire as to why he wouldn't prefer to do it at home.

You cannot help someone with an addiction. Change must come from them. The only way one can help is by offering them the solution and tools to get clean when they are ready to do so. It may be in the form of keeping them from purchasing any more, or stopping them whenever you see them smoking. However, you cannot do it for them. This is where you produce a fallacy in your argument. You don't take in a smoker to cure them as you would take in someone who is sick and give them medicine.

Its also not a matter of opinion that they are disrupting peoples lives. Its a documented fact backed by medical research. 1,000 babies die a year from mothers who refuse to quit smoking while pregnant. Death is one of those things that is more then a "disruption". Its a permanent end.On average, 46,000 people Die yearly from second hand smoke. I got that number from the 2,500,000 people who have died as a result since 1964.

This is why I simply do not understand smokers. They do not seem to care that they could kill someone as a result of their second hand smoke. I would say that I do not understand why its still legal, but, money.
    you are the one who brought up 'peer pressure and social pressure as just a choice', i made the example to show a situation where pressure is not a simple choice.
    'you are not cool if you dont smoke, you do not belong to xy if you don't smoke' thats social/peer pressure. not as simple as yes/no there are consequences like in my women example she might lose her job, a non-smoker being pressured might even not get a job because the boss smoked those where actual situations in the past.

people that are addicted to whatever don't have a easy and clear cut choice as simple as flicking a switch.
    active help must be given, you can take away their smokes and whatnot but alot of them will start binge eating, its mental thing with their hand and mouth movement, you can then take away the food sure, but you are not solving the problem. you'd have to 'train?' the habit out. they need active help not passive sideline whispering 'don't smoke'. i dunno mayb something like organize things for them to do to keep their mind off it.

never said it wasn't disrupting lives or impacting peoples health, as for the mothers smoking, like i said its an addiction its not that simple as saying 'stop smoking' i highly doubt any of them actively smokes to kill their baby.

as for that link, nowhere does it state it was solely 2nd hand smoke being the main cause nor does it give any statistics in relation to whatever else is in the air and how much of that was indeed 2nd hand smoke. all it says is '2nd hand smoke = bad mkay, can cause this mkay, and that mkay' fear mongering with no statistics of the overall air concentration nor the doses of 2nd hand smoke being inhaled that caused death. that article basically sums up everything about 2nd hand smoke says its the same as 'passing by a smoker and inhaling once is the same as spending time in the same room as a chainsmoker for 24/7/365'

i agree smoking is bad, i agree it causes health risks, i agree smokers should pay attention when they smoke and where they smoke.
    i just don't agree with the lacking statistics, the blatantly ignored composition of the air thats being inhaled daily by people. and blaming it all on 2nd hand smoke.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone knows smoking is bad but people still do it. Clearly it's more complex than just quitting for them. As long as I am not in a closed room with a smoker I don't mind; occasional outdoor second-hand smoke isn't worth fretting over.

-snip-
    To give in to peer pressure is absolutely a choice. Your example of the woman was not an example of peer pressure. You can choose to ignore your peers trying to get you to do something. They can't control your free will. There are billions who don't give in on any given day. If you might not get a job due to not smoking, there is legal actions you can take. They cannot hold a job over your head, just like a boss cannot hold a job over a womans head who does not give into their advances. That is also a toxic situation that should be removed from their life.

I also never said it was as easy as flipping a switch, merely that it is possible. That is a fact that is undeniable and has been proven for centuries.

Going to help is like I said. Helping them to avoid the smoking. Helping them to break the habit. You can offer a lot of aid in various ways. You can help keep the cigarettes away and you can help take their mind off it by playing games with them or taking them somewhere. However, just like with any medical treatment, unless they Truly want it and will stick to it on their own, it wont do any good. It comes back down to their choice. Just like it was their choice to start.

There are also plenty of mothers who do quit smoking as a result of wanting to ensure their babies survive. My mother was one of those. She stopped to ensure she didn't kill my younger brother when the doctor offered her a warning concerning it.

Now, for the evidence. Look at the sources that link cites. It has the research there. It also states that it only took things that were linked to second hand smoke complications. They don't need to provide the "what else is in the air" portion since that would just be considered the control group. IE, you and me. It cites all of its sources such as the research and facts. It merely combines them all.

Do I blame it all on second hand smoke? No. However, I merely state that a lot of smokers do not go as far as you have gone. They do not care that it causes health risks or that they should not pay attention. They are much like TotalSy. They say its the other peoples fault for being there. Like I said, the composition of the air that is being inhaled daily is of no consequence. You cannot suddenly stop breathing. It is much easier to isolate one variable that you can observe then to take a composition of the air each day and try to isolate which one does what and what its over all impact was. The sheer magnitude makes it a fools errand to try to do so.

again you fail reading and resort to swearing, 2nd hand smoke from being in the same room as a smoker does not equal passing by a smoker on the street, thats all im saying.
    is that 1 breath you take from that smoker who passed by you on the way to work is as bad as whatever air you breath the rest of the day.
    and how much more did that chance encounter add to the toxicity.

you think what comes out of a car exhaust just disappears the moment it leaves the pipe? take a deep breath, yes thats exhaust fumes.
    you've been breathing that since you where born, nvm the 1 smoker that passed by you that one time.
    Like i said earlier in the thread, cars and public transport etc actually have a fucking use, smoking cigarrettes has absolutely zero beneficial effects and only detriments the user and those around them. Get a clue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't smoke. Smoke if you got 'em . . . but be freaking considerate of other people.

There's a guy at work who's cubical was right next to mine, and a guy at work who's cubical was across the aisle, about five feet away. They both smoke. Difference is, the guy next to me was so bad I could hardly breath when he's around, whereas I don't smell the other guy at all.

I moved to a new desk because of the first guy. I can still smell him from my new spot some times.

Like come on dude, you're doing something wrong when you're the only smoker in the building I'm having a problem with here.

It's also an instant turn off for me, I wouldn't date a girl who smokes.
    Putin khuliyo