Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Final Fantasy XIV on PS4 supports KB&M....
    And as an optional choice that is fine, but they primarily advertise it as controler compatible the last time I checked. Forcing keyboard and mouse controls on people that use a television to display the game in their living rooms is far from a sound idea, hence you'd end up either with clunky controlls or you'd have to cater to the lowest common denominator. Personally I can't even imagine how awful Samurai or Black Mage must play with a controller, let alone healer. Yes I know you can do it, but it really takes some geting used to it and I wouldn't exactly call it great.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
    Actually, two modifiers yields a total of 4 states (e.g. none, L1, L2, L1+L2) so you're at roughly 60 bindings (4 * 15) in a game like WoW that supports modifiers. ConsolePort has 60-64 bindings for regular controllers and 68 for a Steam controller (it gains two on the back but loses the center button). The default binding preset has 36 bindings mapped to action bars and 20~ bindings to various other things you might need.
    Perhaps just my opinion, but I never really got the impression that a Steam controller benefited much from Consoleport, with Steam input in the picture and all. Do the two play nicely at all, perhaps being better than either by itself?

I've been playing wow on a ps4 controller for years now and a ps3 even further back, have it on my laptop connected to my TV. It's pretty good, heck I'll even tank low keys from my couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Yes I know you can do it, but it really takes some geting used to it and I wouldn't exactly call it great.
    And that would come down to different strokes for different fokes. Some like it and some don't but FFXIV shows it can be done.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2018-03-18 at 08:18 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

It is boggling to the mind that input devices that follow the proper standards for input devices are able to be used in a wide range of programs. I bet you could use a steering wheel and gas and brake pedals to move your wow too,,,,

As it is even pointed out in the video in the OP this is for leveling and to make the game feel different. The keyboard turning style of play, lack of add ons and button limits at max level would make this a nightmare for raiding/pvp. For questing it is fine and I am sure is fun, but questing is a shell of the game.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Personally I can't even imagine how awful Samurai or Black Mage must play with a controller, let alone healer. Yes I know you can do it, but it really takes some geting used to it and I wouldn't exactly call it great.
    Having played both SAM and healers on controller I can assure you it is not all that bad at all, specially SAM. Healers its all about getting used to using your up and down arrows and I actually find sam more annoying to play on a keyboard, with trying to find what skill to put where.

Visually since SAMs resource gauge is in a triangle it just flows nicely since you can also put your skills in a triangle and your brain just kind of... matches it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmonkey View Post
    Perhaps just my opinion, but I never really got the impression that a Steam controller benefited much from Consoleport, with Steam input in the picture and all. Do the two play nicely at all, perhaps being better than either by itself?
    Their is a consoleport steam controller setup actually. In which case mire adding the consoleport ui

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    As it is even pointed out in the video in the OP this is for leveling and to make the game feel different. The keyboard turning style of play, lack of add ons and button limits at max level would make this a nightmare for raiding/pvp. For questing it is fine and I am sure is fun, but questing is a shell of the game.
    The immersion setup is what really limits it imo. But the controller itself is great for anything

Quote Originally Posted by Belmonkey View Post
    Not really, no. I really dislike the Steam controller, and it has been gathering dust in my apartment since I finished making the mapping profile for it. To me it has terrible ergonomics, feels like a plastic children's toy and hardly provides any tactile feedback. I prefer traditional gamepads and personally use a DualShock 4. Development of ConsolePort was never focused around the Steam controller or the extra features that come with it.

It's there for the PnP aspect, the action bars, and the UI, but it doesn't provide any benefit over a fleshed out and personalised BPM profile that makes use of the various systems that the controller is capable of. ConsolePort is primarily designed around regular gamepads.

WoWmapper uses mouse simulation where you can adjust deadzone, curve and overall speed. You can make it as fast or faster than a regular mouse. Some people complain about the default settings being too sensitive, but personally I use much faster settings so I can do things like disengaging forward on a hunter.

Bindings are not limited (because of modifiers). This is a myth. It has never been a problem, not even pre-pruning.

Most people are terrible at controller gameplay, and I've watched a lot of it because it's useful as a developer in terms of finding UX problems. Bellular is terrible and exhibit some of the common symtoms of someone who hasn't developed proper dexterity yet. I would say most people I've watched should not venture anywhere near hard group content with it, but those who play this way at all times become accustomed to the setup to the point where it feels as natural as kb/m.

The user base largely consists of casual players doing either WQs or leveling, but there are multiple systems in place to go the extra mile for those who want to. The hardest thing to do on a controller is picking up tiny items off the ground, not raiding/PvP.

Bindings are not limited (because of modifiers). This is a myth. It has never been a problem, not even pre-pruning.
    You can only modify so many ways before you make it extremely complicated and as a result much worse. Depending on the spec/class I am playing I easily have 20 to 30 keys used all with a shift modifier and most with an ctrl, instead of having to type in some button combo with a keyboard you hit one or at most two keys boom done. On a Xbox stlye controller you have to remember some crazy combos in some cases to be slower on top of it all.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I could imagine things like DPS and possibly even tanking to some extent would work just fine on this, but I don't think you could pay me enough to heal a raid with a controller. I would really like to see this become fully supported though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

You can only modify so many ways before you make it extremely complicated and as a result much worse. Depending on the spec/class I am playing I easily have 20 to 30 keys used all with a shift modifier and most with an ctrl, instead of having to type in some button combo with a keyboard you hit one or at most two keys boom done. On a Xbox stlye controller you have to remember some crazy combos in some cases to be slower on top of it all.
    ConsolePort only has two modifiers. It's not like FFXIV where you page between 8 bars or whatever the number is. It's not more complicated than what you describe yourself to be doing. You shouldn't talk about this stuff if you have no experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    This isn't really new, back in MoP there was a streamer who streamed his raids with an xbox 360 controllers and IIRC the guild was actually pretty good. It was a fun watch at the time.
    PvE is hard

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I could imagine things like DPS and possibly even tanking to some extent would work just fine on this, but I don't think you could pay me enough to heal a raid with a controller. I would really like to see this become fully supported though!
    Raid healing is a rapid session of whack-a-mole, but not really that complicated either. Tanking is the same as DPS. Target Scan offers extreme precision in terms of targeting. It was harder to do pre-Legion because you were stuck with tab-targeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    I would love for WoW to be released on Consoles without addons and an interface revision. I think it would become a much better and immersive game.
    ye. 5-8 buttons for every class is so fun!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitro View Post
    ye. 5-8 buttons for every class is so fun!
    Seriously, who the fuck really cares how many goddamned buttons you're hitting as long as you're enjoying the game? Games like Dark Souls have all of about 3 actual attack buttons and they're super popular. We don't need 60 fucking hotkeys in WoW for largely superfluous abilities for this game to be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Seriously, who the fuck really cares how many goddamned buttons you're hitting as long as you're enjoying the game?.
    because it direclty increases the decision making of your char? more buttons > more ways to answer to every situation (decision making), more ways to have play-counterplay situaton > better players will shine above the averages, you know, lots of people find skill cap a fun thing in games,

no wonder people today cant play their pruned specs more than 3-4 months, always leveling new chars, never thought of the reasons for this phenomena?
    Last edited by Dmitro; 2018-03-18 at 08:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, no. I really dislike the Steam controller, and it has been gathering dust in my apartment since I finished making the mapping profile for it. To me it has terrible ergonomics, feels like a plastic children's toy and hardly provides any tactile feedback. I prefer traditional gamepads and personally use a DualShock 4. Development of ConsolePort was never focused around the Steam controller or the extra features that come with it.

It's there for the PnP aspect, the action bars, and the UI, but it doesn't provide any benefit over a fleshed out and personalised BPM profile that makes use of the various systems that the controller is capable of. ConsolePort is primarily designed around regular gamepads.

WoWmapper uses mouse simulation where you can adjust deadzone, curve and overall speed. You can make it as fast or faster than a regular mouse. Some people complain about the default settings being too sensitive, but personally I use much faster settings so I can do things like disengaging forward on a hunter.

Most people are terrible at controller gameplay, and I've watched a lot of it because it's useful as a developer in terms of finding UX problems. Bellular is terrible and exhibit some of the common symtoms of someone who hasn't developed proper dexterity yet. I would say most people I've watched should not venture anywhere near hard group content with it, but those who play this way at all times become accustomed to the setup to the point where it feels as natural as kb/m.

The user base largely consists of casual players doing either WQs or leveling, but there are multiple systems in place to go the extra mile for those who want to. The hardest thing to do on a controller is picking up tiny items off the ground, not raiding/PvP.
    Finally someone else who doesn't like the steam controller

And i feel i should thank you for making consoleport without it i doubt i would have come back to wow. Controllers just feel so much better/more natural to me and i know at least one other who agrees with me that we just cannot play wow without your mod

Actually i also often say how i think blizz should hire you to make this official..better then most of what they do these days.

- - - Updated - - -

ConsolePort only has two modifiers. It's not like FFXIV where you page between 8 bars or whatever the number is. It's not more complicated than what you describe yourself to be doing. You shouldn't talk about this stuff if you have no experience with it.
    It actually works almost like ffxiv once you tweak the settings a bit in ffxiv(seriously who keeps the 8 bar swap just swap between 2 with as third bar setup as either the W bar or a hold down l2 and r2 one)

Xpadder111
    Mistweaver Monk |
    "Those who lead through fear only stay in power while those they govern lack courage." ~ Lorewalker Cho

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I can see that this'll just degrade into another "hurr pruning"-memefest though, so...
    Mocking it doesn't make it any less true.