Super bummed and puzzled on what is wrong

After 1 year of zero issues, two weeks ago, my computer completely powered off. I wasn't able to turn it back on again, and when I brought it to a PC repair shop, I was told that the MB had died. So I get a new MB and CPU (what you see below), and then today (after a week) the same thing happens. My computer shuts off and I can't turn it back on again.

Either I'm very unlucky or maybe something is causing my MB to fail? If it's the wiring of my outlets, there's not much I can do about that. I don't think my super will fix wiring if there aren't any obvious problems that are readily apparent. If it was the PSU, I can def. get that swapped out.

Is something causing my MB to die, or is this another problem entirely? Just really bummed to be without my desktop again.

Edit:built the desktop myself.

CPU: 8700K
    MB: Asus Code X
    GPU 1080
    PSU: Corsair AX1200
    Last edited by memetootoo; 2018-03-18 at 02:25 AM.

If you didn't build your PC I would've looked into leveraging the warranty that comes with a machine. Hardware shouldn't die within a year, so the issue probably lies elsewhere that may not be easy to diagnose. Hopefully someone here has a clue

Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    If you didn't build your PC I would've looked into leveraging the warranty that comes with a machine. Hardware shouldn't die within a year, so the issue probably lies elsewhere that may not be easy to diagnose. Hopefully someone here has a clue
    Unfortunately, I built it myself. =\

10+ Year Old Account
    The original board should be under warranty... Did you just buy a new one instead of replacing that?

That said, I'd suspect the PSU. What exactly are you doing with a 1200w one anyway? I don't think that's the problem (the wattage anyway) but... still..

I'd test a different PSU first and see if it fires up.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The original board should be under warranty... Did you just buy a new one instead of replacing that?

That said, I'd suspect the PSU. What exactly are you doing with a 1200w one anyway? I don't think that's the problem (the wattage anyway) but... still..

I'd test a different PSU first and see if it fires up.
    My desktop is my only PC and I work from home. The repair process from Asus was quoted as 5 to 10 business days, and then 3-5 days for shipping. I couldn't be without a computer for so long, so I just bought new parts with the goal of selling the old parts.

The first time my desktop died, they said it was an issue with the MB and the code displayed on the MB seemed to confirm it. The PC repair shop didn't think it was a PSU problem, I asked them to test it (but not sure if they did it or not). If you still suggest that I get a new PSU, what brand do you recommend? I've had nothing but bad luck from Corsair.

The reason I have a 1200w one is because my org. corsair 750 PSU died after 6 months and what they sent me was a 1200w. Didn't see the harm in having a 1200w, so I didn't say anything.

If you have boards going bad at this rate I would say you got dirty power. Likely from your PSU. Or you just have really bad voltage dips and spikes at your place but I think evidence of this would be seen in other things by now.

Mine did this and it turned out my PSU was dying. Got a new one and all was well to this day. That was like 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    If you have boards going bad at this rate I would say you got dirty power. Likely from your PSU. Or you just have really bad voltage dips and spikes at your place but I think evidence of this would be seen in other things by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronto787 View Post
    Mine did this and it turned out my PSU was dying. Got a new one and all was well to this day. That was like 5 years ago.
    I was able to get my computer to turn on after leaving it off for an hour. The first time this happened 2 weeks ago, I was never able to get my PC to turn on again. So I feel like you guys are right in that it wasn't MB issue. I did have the PC repair shop test the PSU (to confirm not a PSU issue), before I bought a new MB. Is it possible that they never did this?

Computer seems to be fine, and my PSU is out of warranty. But I imagine I need to buy a new PSU. Any brand preferences?

Thanks!
    Last edited by memetootoo; 2018-03-18 at 03:27 AM.

Seasonic are among the best rated, Superflower are also good, even the higher end corsair ones are good. http://www.jonnyguru.com/ is a good source for PSU quality.

I would also look into something like https://www.amazon.com/APC-6-Outlet-...ps+power+strip it's cheap and an extra layer of security

Quote Originally Posted by memetootoo View Post
    But I imagine I need to buy a new PSU. Any brand preferences?
    If its not a PSU or MB issues then I would suggest you run a Memtest to see if its possibly RAM. If you get a new PSU I would suggest a EVGA Supernova G2. Very good reviews. Im also pretty sure it has a 10 year warranty. Make sure you get a high enough wattage to handle your equipment. Rule of thumb when building a computer is NEVER go cheap on a PSU its like going cheap on toilet paper or trash bags. Heres a link for you to check it out https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817438018. Keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Seasonic are among the best rated, Superflower are also good, even the higher end corsair ones are good. http://www.jonnyguru.com/ is a good source for PSU quality.

I would also look into something like https://www.amazon.com/APC-6-Outlet-...ps+power+strip it's cheap and an extra layer of security
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Btw if you think for any reason that it might be your power outlets, protect your PC with a UPS
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronto787 View Post
    If its not a PSU or MB issues then I would suggest you run a Memtest to see if its possibly RAM. If you get a new PSU I would suggest a EVGA Supernova G2. Very good reviews. Im also pretty sure it has a 10 year warranty. Make sure you get a high enough wattage to handle your equipment. Rule of thumb when building a computer is NEVER go cheap on a PSU its like going cheap on toilet paper or trash bags. Heres a link for you to check it out https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817438018. Keep us updated.
    Thanks for everyone's help. Swapped in a new PSU, but it wasn't the issue. In the end, it was my MB to PSU cables that were messed up. Would have never thought to check the wires, since there wasn't any physical damage. It took forever to diagnosis, but lesson learned on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by memetootoo View Post
    Thanks for everyone's help. Swapped in a new PSU, but it wasn't the issue. In the end, it was my MB to PSU cables that were messed up. Would have never thought to check the wires, since there wasn't any physical damage. It took forever to diagnosis, but lesson learned on my end.
    Its something I would have never thought of either unless I could see damaged cables. Thanks for expanding my thoughts when I approach this with another what if when things like this happen.

Its something I would have never thought of either unless I could see damaged cables. Thanks for expanding my thoughts when I approach this with another what if when things like this happen.
    Yeah, at that point I had pretty much replaced everything and was starting to wonder if I need to contact an electrician to see if my outlets needed to be checked.