Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuen View Post
    You are looking at it all wrong. Stop thinking of it as a 'class' and look at it as a religion.

Not every Arab man is a muslim, there are many who are christian, jewish etc. The none Pandaren chose to learn the Monkish ways because it interested them. It's really not a hard concept.
    Druidism is a religion as well, with its own gods and festivities. So is the Church of the Light, and shamanism.

Then why don't we see orc druids?
    Or priests, or paladins?
    Where are the blood elf shamans and tauren witch doctors?

Why do they suddenly want to be monks, and not any of those classes?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leodok View Post
    Druidism is a religion as well, with its own gods and festivities. So is the Church of the Light, and shamanism.

Or priests, or paladins?

Why do they suddenly want to be monks, and not any of those classes?
    Two reasons.

1. Gameplay
    2. They simply don't want to.....again, not a hard thing to understand. Some people like to do one thing, others do another thing.

Druidism is a religion as well, with its own gods and festivities.
    Druidism isn't really a religion. It's not about belief, Druids are scholars, not preachers and while the Wild Gods are powerful and have a special connection to the Emerald Dream, the Druids know better than anyone that they're not truly gods.
    From my understanding, the Lunar New Year festival is actually connected to the religion of Elune as well. Not to mention that you can have festivities without having a religious background to them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Or priests, or paladins?
    because blizzard don't want to expand the lore of those races, and like the race/class options to be restrictive

there is one orc druid and some priests btw

2. They simply don't want to.....again, not a hard thing to understand. Some people like to do one thing, others do another thing.
    ...Except for monks! EVERYONE loves the idea and decides to follow this new religion from a distant part of the world, which they just found out about.

1. Gameplay
    And this is the only actual reason. They wanted to give everyone monks, but explaining it in any decent way would be too much work, apparently.

Rather that telling us of a group of night elf druids learning of the Celestials and seeking them or some tauren re-discovering their Yaungol kin and starting to follow Niuzao, they did... nothing. Just gave everyone monks for the sake of it and left 10 race-class combinations making no sense at all.

Deleted
    ...Except for monks! EVERYONE loves the idea and decides to follow this new religion from a distant part of the world, which they just found out about.

And this is the only actual reason. They wanted to give everyone monks, but explaining it in any decent way would be too much work, apparently.

Rather that telling us of a group of night elf druids learning of the Celestials and seeking them or some tauren re-discovering their Yaungol kin and starting to follow Niuzao, they did... nothing. Just gave everyone monks for the sake of it and left 10 race-class combinations making no sense at all.
    Yes, the new thing showing up with cool powers gets people interested......how is this remotely hard to understand?

10+ Year Old Account
    Same reason druids are tied to the Emerald Dream, and paladins are tied to the Light (in the case of tauren and Zandalari paladins, through one or two degrees of separation), and shamans to the elements. Monks as we play them use pandaren fighting styles and combat techniques. If you want to headcanon your monk differently, you're free to, but the core ethos of the class is rooted in Pandaren lore and themes, again, same as druids and paladins are rooted in central themes.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Yes, the new thing showing up with cool powers gets people interested......how is this remotely hard to understand?
    Because if it was just like that, everyone would be anything. Everyone would be able to become druids because "woah, those night elves have such cool powers!"

Deleted
    Because if it was just like that, everyone would be anything. Everyone would be able to become druids because "woah, those night elves have such cool powers!"
    ......Yes, I agree. But Blizz obviously don't want that. Its purely a gameplay reason why there are race/class restrictions. The 'lore' reason is that the race simply didn't take to the 'class' on a wide enough level to make them be playable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassanova Frankenstein View Post
    If only there were other races who could be monks that could pass on the traditions... IF ONLY!!!
    Oh, there are, if only it weren't for the part of all students have to go to a sacred place.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Why would the pandaren teach how to be monks to zandalari, when the zandalari are the race that helped the mogu enslave them for thousands of years, and ressurected their leader, attempting to enslave the pandaren again.

its like suddenly if the draenei just started teaching the light to demons...
    The trainers aren't just Pandaren. And, the mogu were originally there to protect pandaria from the old god, were they not?

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Zabrax

So it's safe to say that more than just Pandaren can be the trainers.
    Last edited by ATZenith; 2018-03-17 at 11:29 PM.

The first person to discover and develop the way of the Monk was Kang, the Fist of First Dawn. He realized that you didn't need armor or weapons to fight, and that even though he and his Pandaren brethren were slaves, they could fight their masters using their bodies as their weapons. This is why Monks are tied to Pandaria, it was created by the Pandaren. The Mogu empire has existed for thousands of years, and so too did their alliance with the Zandalari. Pandaren wouldn't teach a Zandalari for that purpose. This is why Darkspear trolls can be monks but Zandalari cannot.

I'm glad Blizzard paid attention to that lore detail and worked with it. Now you might say Zandalari could learn from non-pandaren teachers, and while i'm sure thats a possibility for a single Zandalari NPC character to have learned the ways of the monk, it'd be so exceedingly rare that it wouldnt make sense to make that race/class combo playable. Same deal with Pandaren Deathknights being possible but too rare, with only one recorded instance. (Because of the few Pandaren that left the Wandering Isles for Azeroth, Gravewalker Gie seemed to have encountered the scourge somewhere and been turned.)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ATZenith View Post
    The trainers aren't just Pandaren. And, the mogu were originally there to protect pandaria from the old god, were they not?

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Zabrax

So it's safe to say that more than just Pandaren can be the trainers.
    the mogu were there to protect, but when they became sentiant of their own thought they decided to enslave everything...
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Race-class restrictions are just plain stupid.

Even Dungeons & Dragons -- the game that invented the idiotic idea -- finally realized how stupid it was and tossed it in the trash.

from the day that monks were added, they have been far too steeped in pandaren culture.

everything about the monk class screams pandaren, to the point that the class should have just been a hero class that only pandaren could be.

had they been introduced in a much more every-man way, like warriors and rogues, then i would say that zanda should have them. but as they are, i don't think anyone but panda should have them. i'm annoyed that nightborne and HM tauren got them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kresh64 View Post
    That is the biggest problem with Monks right now that they are too heavily focused on Pandaren culture. What Blizzard could have done to both tie into MOP and the traditional fantasy monk class would have been to just have one spec be related to Pandaren like Brewmaster and have the others based on traditional RPG monks to appeal to the rest of the fanbase who wanted a Monk class.
    I also feel that it would have been a GREAT opporunity to show off each races martial arts, trolls have this capoeira fighting style that would have been awesome to see in combat, but instead we get pandaren styles, which quickly become generic (since all monks use them)
    I also dont feel that it should have been as open as it is, races like gnomes, forsaken and goblins shouldnt have had access to monks, it doesnt make any sense for them and it just feels cheap and disengaging when you see it (in my opinion)
    The healing spec would have been fine if it were about traditional medicine instead of specifically pandaren 'tea'. Many races have traditional medicine, trolls in particular.

It was the biggest turn off for the class for me, and still irks me when i play my monk...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    its like suddenly if the draenei just started teaching the light to demons...

You called?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    But Undead Monks are totally cool, right?!

Forsaken didn't enslave Pandaria's races for thousands of years.
    And haven't been tryign to enslave them again after being overthrown 15k years ago.

Monks as a class concept have always been tied to Pandaria, and pandaren in general. "I want to be a monk that isn't a monk" just doesn't fly. Monk techniques are specifically trained from a long pandaren heritage. It sounds like you want to be a brawler or just want an excuse for it to somehow work.

That said, monks are a class that could feasibly work for any race (except worgen who would struggle to perform martial arts with their forms). They simply need to be taught.

As it is right now, this is what I feel about the races that do not have monks playable (and the allied races that do):

Worgen: Their form inhibits their ability to perform pandaren-style martial arts. They also have less interest in it naturally since they do not exactly come from an open minded culture and have natural alternatives for melee combat and brawling (IE, massive claws).

Goblins: They lack the culture to achieve a 'zen'-like mindset, which would impede their ability to be a good monk. But it wouldn't stop them, and surely there could be exceptions. Goblins could be monks, but since worgen were cut out in MoP, it was only fair to cut goblins out as well; that's no longer an issue, though.

Nightborne & Highmountain tauren: They are making an active effort to get back into the world, and welcome other cultures such as the Pandaren and are more than willing to train monks. Not a big stretch, but they are very new to the art and won't have any monk masters any time soon, nor do they have a culture of hand-to-hand combat to build off of (as far as I can tell).

Void elves: This one is a bit of a stretch. Blood elves had monks which makes this viable, but the question we should be asking is, why would monks choose to pursue void magic? This goes against the beliefs of monks, especially considering what the Sha did to Pandaria. Ignoring this, though, it is feasible if controversial.

Lightforged Draenei: The lightforged draenei -- assuming the playable characters are members of the Army of Light and not new draenei training to become lightforged from the ranks of the Alliance -- have been alienated from any Azerothian cultures aside from the very minor presence of Alleria and Turalyon, who obviously have no impact on pandaren culture in the slightest. Now that said, they could train new lightforged draenei that chose to learn from the pandaren and incorporate their teachings -- in fact, it would have fit their race well since the draenei have a tradition of hand-to-hand combat that you see in Mac'aree. It's obviously substantially different from pandaren style fighting -- it is a wrestling style that focuses heavily on strength instead of agility -- but this connection would have made it viable, and perhaps still could. I'd like to see lightforged get monks.

Dark Iron Dwarves: Their classes have not yet been announced as far as I can tell, but monks would be a perfect fit for them since they are master brewmasters (Dark Iron ale is perhaps the most famous beer on Azeroth after Stormstout, even more than Ironforge beer) and have played a significantly heavy role in Pandaria. Just go to the Shrine to find various dark iron dwarves chilling there. I'd be surprised and disappointed if they did not get monks.

Zandalari: They have been isolated from the rest of the world for a very long time, and have long-standing disagreements with the pandaren. Furthermore, their culture focuses on strength, not agility. Their warriors are recognized, their hunters are known for their powerful creatures, etc. This is one of the few cases where it completely makes sense for a race to not get this class for political reasons. That said, there is a certain irony in them training monks and learning from the Pandaren that I like enough to overlook this, but I don't expect them to get monks and am totally fine with it.

Kul Tirans: This hasn't been shown ingame yet, but Kul Tiras has been heavily isolated from the rest of the world. They would not have likely had a chance nor welcomed the opportunity to learn pandaren arts and train new monks. It's another exceptional case where it makes sense for them to not have monks.

Mag'har: They haven't even been to Azeroth before this point, why would they suddenly train monks? I don't think this class would be a good fit for them, either, but until we know their reasons for joining the Horde and their greater story, this technically remains up in the air.

I am not going to speculate on unannounced future allied races.

PS: In the specific case of Zandalari, it's looking more and more like Zandalari will be purely 'better' darkspear and will have every class they can use and more (with the exception of Death Knights for obvious reasons), monks would be the one class they could choose not to have and stand out. Another reason I would support them not getting monks for. It's simply a very bad fit for them.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2018-03-18 at 03:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lorewise most pandarian probably hate zandalari and would never teach them the way of the monk but blizz logic is sound logic if you choose to play this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ATZenith View Post
    I don't like the decision that the new allied races can't be monks.
    False. The void elves, nightborne and Highmountain tauren races can pick 'monk' as their class.

What I'm trying to say is that Zandalari should be able to be monks. Any new race should be able to.
    Can't answer that, as I don't have alpha access, but I suggest you re-word your initial question, in your post.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...