Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Over-diagnosed? No.
    Over-medicated? Yes.

My daughter has difficulty paying attention in class but she does not have ADHD. It is in her personality to try and know EVERYTHING that is going on in her surroundings. She is just way too nosy for her own good. For a little while we were concerned that she might have ADHD but fortunately she doesn't. We just try working on it at home, prompting her once in a while to do things she's supposed to be doing.

Kids aren't supposed to be able to sit still like drones 24/7. Many people don't realize it. They're so PACKED with energy, they gotta let it out. USA cutting recess times is NOT helping this.

On the other hand, my son's friend is severely ADHD and it shows. When we brought him with us to go mini-golfing, it was like handling a rabid dog. Kid was all over the place, extremely impulsive. His parents are die hard republicans, republicans are known to be excessively disciplinarian/authoritative with their children and it still does not work. They just sic the iPad on him and it shuts him up. Amazingly he can just sit still and be calm with technology. Is it addiction? I have no idea. They got him on meds and he's in perpetual zombie state. It's sad. His parents don't care, as long he shuts the hell up and leaves everybody alone. That kid was definitely properly diagnosed with ADHD.
    Last edited by Weeps; 2018-03-18 at 01:15 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slythan View Post
    This might sound like a reasonable stance but the problem is that ADD has a very nebulous diagnosis with no real definite testing that can be done for it. It is very slighty better than a guess by a psychiatrist that may or may not be pressured to deliver a solution to a high energy kid. This is most obviously seen in the kids undergoing treatment. The process is essentially, give the kid a dosage, monitor. If nothing happens, increase dosage or change medicine. Watching kids go through initial drug application for ADD can be pretty horendous as they struggle with sleeping, exhaustion, depression, etc until either the pills are given up or their is some sort of effect.

I would say ADD is similar to depression, both overdiagnosed and overly quick to be treated with medication rather than therapy. It is sad because students who genuinely suffer from attention that bounces around like a yo yo need help and often face negative stigma because so many therapists use it as a catch all to adolescent issues.
    A doctor writes.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    you say it is overdiagnosed studies point to a serious under diagnosing and treatment problem.... then those who say it is over diagnosed keep going to "kids shouldn't' be expected to sit for hours they have energy!"

no... that isn't what determines whether a child has adhd... my god...

Frankly I think people are so anti mental health that they feel all mental health issues are overdiagnosed even when they're the opposite.
    Let's backtrack, and reword. Perhaps not overdiagnosed. Perhaps misdiagnosed and over-medicated, instead.

ADD meds, for those who don't have ADD, are an addictive stimulant. That was part of my original comment that started this line of discussion.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2018-03-18 at 01:45 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Yes lets all say how we feel about this since we are clearly all experts on the matter.

...This.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Yes and it's often used as an excuse to why someone is an asshole.

...And this.

As someone who actually has ADHD--and you would never know unless I told you even as a child--the only thing that bothers me more is the liberal use of the "Retared" and its variant "Retard". The Special Olympics refers to both as the "R-Word" and that destroyed one of my future plans to do volunteer work for that organization. There is such a thing as beng TOO sensitive. Sheesh.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Let's backtrack, and reword. Perhaps not overdiagnosed. Perhaps misdiagnosed and over-medicated, instead.

ADD meds, for those who don't have ADD, are an addictive stimulant. That was part of my original comment that started this line of discussion.

I think Some things are misdiagnosed however you are saying essentially it is chronically misdiagnosed. Meanwhile doctors worry about under diagnosis and studies point to a bunch of untreated people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    ...This.

Also:

...And this.

As someone who actually has ADHD--and you would never know unless I told you even as a child--the only thing that bothers me more is the liberal use of the "Retared" and its variant "Retard". The Special Olympics refers to both as the "R-Word" and that destroyed one of my future plans to do volunteer work for that organization. There is such a thing as beng TOO sensitive. Sheesh.

I’m trying to figure out how adhd suddenly became synonymous with asshole

ADHD comes with some serious issues concerning social development of children that I think people just oss over and ignore whole saying “oh it’s just children being energetic” like no... that’s not everything about adhd.

10+ Year Old Account

ADHD comes with some serious issues concerning social development of children that I think people just oss over and ignore whole saying “oh it’s just children being energetic” like no... that’s not everything about adhd.
    Yes, I'm aware. I took no offense.

By the way I worked as an Educator in Boston for 10 years. So, I know how ADHD effects a variety of children. And yes, there is a clear difference between that and "Children just being energetic". The problem is too many parents still think they know the difference. They don't. What they mistake for ADHD is usually either just "kids being kids" or a sign or sympthom of something else. We also have the problem of kids being medicated or overmedicated when they shouldn't be. Much of it has to do with Common Core, Standardized Tests as well as eliminating History, P.E. and Creativity classes like Art and Music. Did you know Americorps programs like Peace First, City Year and Playworks now do these things in schools because the budget for them was cut? I did City Year for two years 14 years ago, then worked for the district for the next 10 years. I can speak to that.

For all these problems going on in the American Public School experience, multiple options will need to be explored at the same time. The problem is both willingness and funding needed.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Deleted
    Let's go ride our bikes!!!!

Because of parents wanting you to be "more understanding" of their kid who just punched another kid in the face and the teacher obliging them and saying that it's not their fault because they have ADHD.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Yes lets all say how we feel about this since we are clearly all experts on the matter.
    You dont really need to be an expert to notice that every child that isnt a mild docile drone over the past 20 years suddenly has ADD and needs pills

The American's reliance on drugs...

Last edited by Daedius; 2018-03-18 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Because of parents wanting you to be "more understanding" of their kid who just punched another kid in the face and the teacher obliging them and saying that it's not their fault because they have ADHD.
    I don’t know where you’re getting that from.