Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Moonlight was better than La La Land, thanks for reading this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Alicia Vikander was good in this movie, but she wasnt my Lara Croft. I do want to see her in more movies though, hopefully people see she has potential. Just she wasnt Lara Croft to me, she has a funny shaped head and I know its nitpicking but throughourt the movie I couldnt keep my eyes off her weird head shape :P

I still think Camilla Luddington would have been a better Lara Croft for reboot Lara. Was never fond of this casting Alicia Vikander. But it is what it is I guess.

Movie was okay though, I enjoyed it. Then again I enjoyed the Warcraft movie to, so you know where my standards are lol.
    That's because she's Swedish.

Movie was a bit eh for me, felt like it wasn't a movie in itself rather it exists just to set up the incoming half dozen sequels. Not good, not bad I rate it about average. Not something I'll be like ooh I want to watch again, but if there is nothing on and I stumble across it I'll watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Your opinions are outside the realms of reality.
    Sure as sure.
    Would you please kindly elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Moonlight was better than La La Land, thanks for reading this
    No.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    That's because she's Swedish.
    I know a lot of swedes with lovely shaped heads :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I enjoyed it. It was really different from the first film. But the girl really played Lara well.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Just saw the movie and really liked it. The cheesy plot and over the top side characters were a bit grating, but that was more than made up by Vikander's performance. She made for a much more credible action hero than I would have ever thought, because they gave her a lot to do physically but never tried to portray her as some kind of ultimate badass, and that all made for a more believable and interesting movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I mean, Leo didn’t seem to be have trouble getting work prior to his long-awaited Oscar. I think it’s more of a status symbol than anything, since it’s reconized for work they did in a specific movie.
    That's not really relevant to the whole argument of whether or not someone can be seen to have potential. If you've received the most prestigious award in your field I'm pretty sure people are now aware you have potential.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did anyone question Leo’s potential when he didn’t have an Oscar?
    I don't think he/she meant that being without an Oscar = no potential. But having received one definitely doesn't hurt your reputation.

I mean, Leo didn’t seem to be have trouble getting work prior to his long-awaited Oscar. I think it’s more of a status symbol than anything, since it’s reconized for work they did in a specific movie.
    Its a silly argument because Leo didnt need an Oscar for people to appreciate his talent. He did that with his break out role in whats eating gilberts grape where he did also get Oscar buzz.

And his role in the mega successful titanic guaranteed him future gigs

That’s my point. An Oscar isn’t given to you for years and years of successful talent in movies. It’s given to you for one successful role in a movie. Leo has shown that he’s an amazing actor in pretty much every movie he has been in, so that’s why I don’t think him having an Oscar defines his acting abilities.
    I never said an oscar defines your ability. Someone was saying they hope people see her potential. When you win the biggest award in your industry your potential is already being recognized/rewarded even

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Just saw the movie and really liked it. The cheesy plot and over the top side characters were a bit grating, but that was more than made up by Vikander's performance. She made for a much more credible action hero than I would have ever thought, because they gave her a lot to do physically but never tried to portray her as some kind of ultimate badass, and that all made for a more believable and interesting movie.
    Alicia Vikander was terrible. No idea how she even won an Oscar previously as her acting is quite average and at times very wooden. Not that winning one means much. Plenty of average actors have won before like Lawrence and Halle Berry.

But this is Tomb Raider. I get that it is more about over the top action than anything. She still didn't seem right for the role though. Too small and looked very out of place in it. Did the best to carry the weight of it and collapsed. Action wise it was decent though. JMO and I stand by it.

Oh, and while we’re on the Oscar subject, I don’t even think Alicia Vikander received one. Wasn’t it an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress?

.... or is that the same thing?
    Yeah "Academy Award of Merit" which has become commonly known by its nickname "Oscar" its voted by members of the academy so the hollywood elite feel it puts you in with the cool kids winning one.

She won for supporting actress with danish girl in 2016

10+ Year Old Account
    No. But would anyone question a person's potential if they did have one? That's the argument. You don't need an Oscar to be a great actor, that was never in question.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2018-03-19 at 08:08 AM.

She also played a good robot in ex machina. Shes a fine actress

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    When he got an Oscar, we didn’t all say “Finally! Now I can recognize him as the extraordinary actor that he is!”. We already knew it. The Oscar didn’t make it more so.
    I'm not sure why we're dancing around when we're essentially saying the same thing. I'm only adding the fact that obtaining one does not negatively impact your career, it either does nothing or improves it. In Leo's case it did nothing since as you said, he didn't need it; he is already an incredible actor. On the other hand, Vikander getting one would help alittle at least, since she's newer on the scene. You can't tell me that her getting an Oscar would somehow make her an unpopular hire because of it...

How is this 10 pages? Some people liked it and are arguing?

Can't even fathom tbh, it was a terrible movie and the female human from Earth (totally pc, for you that insist.) that acted as Lara Croft was B-rate at best. On par with Warcraft. I would have preferred to have wasted my time watching a 90's graphic animation Tomb Raider movie.

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post

Can't even fathom tbh, it was a terrible movie and the female human from Earth (totally pc, for you that insist.) that acted as Lara Croft was B-rate at best. On par with Warcraft. I would have preferred to have wasted my time watching a 90's graphic animation Tomb Raider movie.
    Because shockingly not everyone has the same opinion, I know its hard to understand that we aren't all a single hivemind.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post

And that's exactly how it reaches 10 pages :P because some people thought it was a terrible movie, some thought it was okay, some thought it was great. We also have everything from "Alicia Vikander played Lara excellently" to "why did they choose some random horrible actress to take over Jolie as Lara???".

Most importantly, we have a ton of bored people at work/school willing to toss around their respective opinions.

I thought it was a meh, occasionally fun movie that was carried by Vikander. I thought she did a great job and she obviously worked hard to do a lot of the stunts/action shots herself, which I can always respect.

Also, (my primary hobby being rock climbing) her choosing to climb up that cliff as the immediate solution to the assisting rope being pulled up just turns me on so, SO much.

I also admit I had zero expectations going in since I never liked Angelina Jolie and didn't play much of the Tomb Raider games, so there was little incentive for me to watch the previous installations.

Deleted
    I don't know, she looks too girly for my liking. It's the same problem I have with Rey..