Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The British speak too fast for myself. And their sense of humor is odd. I watched some of their comedy shows and get this puzzled look on my face, that was suppose to be funny? like you , not knocking the Brits. One of America's closest allies.
    Americans dont get humour, they dont laugh at funny things but will sit for hours watching the big bang theory and say thats funny...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mac View Post
    i hate when English people say mum, pub, and bloody.

i also find comedians with a british accent about as unfunny as a woman doing stand up.

i cant watch any tv shows that have that accent. i heard monty python is funny but i cant fucking stand it for 5 minutes
    Thats because youre fucking boring

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Most languages do.

French: 18 Mars
    Dutch: 18 Maart
    Danish: 18. Marts
    Norwegian: 18. Mars
    Swedish: 18 Mars
    Turkish: 18 Mart
    Russian: 18 Марта
    Italian: 18 Marzo
    Serbocroatian: 18. Ožujka
    Finnish: 18. Maaliskuuta
    Greek: 18 Μαρτίου
    Not typical spoken word which is what the quote was referring to. Also in English no one says 18 blah. 18

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Most people don't actually say that. They use something along the lines of 18th o' March (where o' is a very short "uh" sound). As if it's an ending to the 18th part, rather than its own word. Casual English speech is littered with contractions, dropped vowels, and cutting the start or end from words.

O is a contraction of of so it makes sense.

The dumbest thing I can think of is really caring enough about either way to talk about it for a long long time.

I'm not sure if this is an Americanism but I've heard some people say it on streams and in some hip hop, which is using mental but not as an adjective? Just saying "my mental cant handle this" or something anyone else heard this before?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    It does mean exactly the same thing since people think it does. You can debate the style but not the meaning here. You can not dissect sayings and proverbs without making "give a fuck" mean something very different from what it actually does mean.
    No, it doesn't. Just because someone thinks a word or phrase means something, does not make it mean that. That's not at all how that works. "Could" does not mean the same thing as "couldn't" and anyone who thinks it does is wrong. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    ...and yes, style over rides rules. Ask any half decent writer or English (or any language?) teacher.
    If by "style", you mean a region's way of writing/speaking, then sure, to some degree. But individual "style" is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hengwulf View Post
    Does it mean that elevators in american buildings start with 1, without any button labeled 0?
    Doesn't make much sense to have a building with 0 floors.

I used 'apartment' and 'store' all the time while I lived in London. No one said anything about my phrasing and I was understood. So, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    It conveys almost no information, it's simply stating: I care about this to some undisclosed degree.
    It stems from the phrase "I couldn't care less." It's literally just people being lazy with their articulation and not realizing it. The same reason people write could of instead of could've. It just means the amount of fucks people give is 0 unless people could give negative fucks somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    You mean in english? There is no british english, just english.

Just like (in golf) there is the Masters, and also the US Masters.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget Californium. And Calcium.
    You mean English? there is no such word as english.
    Couldn't resist sorry ;-p

Thinking American and British english are different languages, rather than regional speaking patterns of the same language. Calling Jello Jelly. Flipping their shit if i call football soccer. Ignorantly calling american's morons without even talking to them. Assuming all Apple Cider is alcoholic. Alot of little things that bother me. Acting condescending because you're on an online filter.
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2018-03-18 at 08:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Thinking American and British english are different languages, rather than regional speaking patterns of the same language. Calling Jello Jelly. Flipping their shit if i call football soccer. Ignorantly calling american's morons without even talking to them. Assuming all Apple Cider is alcoholic. Alot of little things that bother me. Acting condescending because you're on an online filter.
    Watch this and have a laugh. Its 3mins long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Watch this and have a laugh. Its 3mins long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw
    Pure narcissism. And i thought we were the only ones. lol

Also isn't the phrase "I couldn't care less?" Never heard "I could care less" It's almost like the video is making shit up.

I like to say "I couldn't/don't give a fuck/shit" instead
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2018-03-18 at 08:22 PM.

Good to know watchmojoUK is just as stupid as the watchmojo in America.

Imagine being an adult and actually routinely watching stuff like this.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Good to know watchmojoUK is just as stupid as the watchmojo in America.

Imagine being an adult and actually routinely watching stuff like this.
    Watchmojo is the bottom of the barrel in terms of content.

Does it mean that elevators in american buildings start with 1, without any button labeled 0?
    They start with either "1" or "G". The next one up is "2" either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Doesn't make much sense to have a building with 0 floors.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storey

Numbering
    Floor numbering is the numbering scheme used for a building's floors. There are two major schemes in use across the world. In one system, used in the majority of European countries, the ground floor is the floor literally at ground level, usually having no number, and identified sometimes as "G" or "0". The next floor up is assigned the number 1 and is the first floor, and so on. The other system, used primarily in the United States and Canada, counts the bottom floor as the first floor, the next floor up as the second floor, and so on.[3] In both systems, the numbering of higher floors continues sequentially as one goes up, as shown in the following table...)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Pure narcissism. And i thought we were the only ones. lol

Also isn't the phrase "I couldn't care less?" Never heard "I could care less" It's almost like the video is making shit up.

I like to say "I couldn't/don't give a fuck/shit" instead
    It was a skit, as you excolonials call it.

Lighten up a tad.

As an American, I'm always perplexed when I hear British or Australian people pronounce a word ending with "A" as "err" - for some reason it grates on me. Also pronouncing the "h" in "herb" - though, I do believe we Americans (and Canadians?) that are the ones pronouncing it "wrong" in that case.

"Jessicker, did you try any different herbs while on holiday in Americker?"

However, also as an American, it bothers me that we pronounce the letter Z as "zee" when nearly all (if not all) other English-speaking countries pronounce it "zedd."
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

7+ Year Old Account
    I was being facetious. I understand the logic behind it but it's not very logical. If you have more than one of something, your count starts at one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    Also pronouncing the "h" in "herb" - though, I do believe we Americans (and Canadians?) that are the ones pronouncing it "wrong" in that case.
    Either is correct, as "herb" was adopted from French, where the "h" is silent.

Speaking of words that start with "h", something I find annoying is people who say, "an historic", etc. "An" is supposed to be limited to words whose pronunciation starts with a vowel, eg, "hour", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    However, also as an American, it bothers me that we pronounce the letter Z as "zee" when nearly all (if not all) other English-speaking countries pronounce it "zedd."
    Every time I hear someone say, "zed", I say, "Who?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    It stems from the phrase "I couldn't care less." It's literally just people being lazy with their articulation and not realizing it. The same reason people write could of instead of could've. It just means the amount of fucks people give is 0 unless people could give negative fucks somehow.
    I love how people split hairs about this so much, when we have much more unusual words that are even more misleading that are used by everyone. Not just ignorant people saying phrases incorrectly. Bathroom, for instance, which is also just called a full bath, 3/4 bath or 1/2 bath. This is not even mentioning that many "bathrooms" have no bathtubs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levyan View Post
    I love how people split hairs about this so much, when we have much more unusual words that are even more misleading that are used by everyone. Not just ignorant people saying phrases incorrectly. Bathroom, for instance, which is also just called a full bath, 3/4 bath or 1/2 bath. This is not even mentioning that many "bathrooms" have no bathtubs.
    Meh, bathtubs are pretty gross.