Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    They listened to the vocal minority. We'll see how well that works out.
    The userbase is a minority. They need to attract more people, which means doing things that people who aren't already playing the game want rather than listening to the 12 active veterans who whine on the forums all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

XP buffs across the board were great. People were getting worried over nothing.

Rifts are still good as are dungeons but quests are now a little bit better in terms of XP rewarded but not the point where it's the only path.

Bit annoyed though. First greater Planar essence and it's a Physical Damage proc one... as a Stormcaller.

Quote Originally Posted by justinhalfout View Post
    So how's everyone doing so far? bored of all the dungeon trash farming runs yet?
    yeah pretty good spent like 2-3 hours in that Stillmoore event, juicy juicy planarite.

Had like 10 mounts drop in a row farming KB the other day finally won one on the 10th drop missed out on the Ice strider,Nightmare and the HK mount.

Deleted
    So, I'm late to the party, didn't know anything about the launch of the "prime servers" up until now, and perhaps it is good because now it has been out for a while and people might know more about how it is working
    I have a couple of questions:
    1. How is the current population?
    2. Are there any plans on EU server? If so, when?
    2. If there will be EU servers, will there also be ordinary pvp servers? I recall they might add free for all pvp servers with restricted number of friends to help you, but what about ordinary pvp servers? I remember when the guild Pain train attacked the city, fun days
    3. Is it the old prestige pvp lvl grind? Is there dedicated pvp gear? I remember feeling that the old system for obtaining pvp gear was very grindy, but still preferred it compared to the removal of pvp gear.
    4. Do people level up in warfronts? If so, are the queues popping fast enough? Leveling in warfronts was really fun, and the reason why I never returned to the live game again (lower lvl warfronts never popped).
    5. Is it possible to turn off xp and twink like back in the old days? (Never twinked myself, but it was awesome because those twinks made lowlvl warfronts pop and lowlvl pvp alive and kicking).

I think these are my first and most important questions, would be really happy if anyone could help

I'm sceptical to the implementation, but I think I got some REX stored on my account because I started to saving up to some new souls but could not continue the grind (it was a level cap increase, and no warfront queues popped for me to be able to level). So, I could probably return for a month or so to try, depending on the answers to the questions above I think it is strange that the servers have limited time on them, and also that they are progressing into new expansions and doesn't stay on lvl 50.
    Last edited by mmocb8e9590de3; 2018-03-18 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    So, I'm late to the party, didn't know anything about the launch of the "prime servers" up until now, and perhaps it is good because now it has been out for a while and people might know more about how it is working
    2. If there will be EU servers, will there also be ordinary pvp servers? I recall they might add free for all pvp servers with restricted number of friends to help you, but what about ordinary pvp servers? I remember when the guild Pain train attacked the city, fun days
    3. Is it the old prestige pvp lvl grind? Is there dedicated pvp gear? I remember feeling that the old system for obtaining pvp gear was very grindy, but still preferred it compared to the removal of pvp gear.
    4. Do people level up in warfronts? If so, are the queues popping fast enough? Leveling in warfronts was really fun, and the reason why I never returned to the live game again (lower lvl warfronts never popped).
    5. Is it possible to turn off xp and twink like back in the old days? (Never twinked myself, but it was awesome because those twinks made lowlvl warfronts pop and lowlvl pvp alive and kicking).

I think these are my first and most important questions, would be really happy if anyone could help

I'm sceptical to the implementation, but I think I got some REX stored on my account because I started to saving up to some new souls but could not continue the grind (it was a level cap increase, and no warfront queues popped for me to be able to level). So, I could probably return for a month or so to try, depending on the answers to the questions above I think it is strange that the servers have limited time on them, and also that they are progressing into new expansions and doesn't stay on lvl 50.
    i dont play but pop is prob pretty decent right now. a real test will be less than 2 months when peoples initial subs and and subs that were given away run out then you can see about what the numbers are really like.

if this prime thing does well then you might see EU but you are gonna have to wait a full year to see that, as this "prime" server is a test. any other server rulesets arent likely to be implemented till the completetion of this prime server. althought i wouldnt hold out for pvp, they have pretty much given up on it on live. its a broken mess where some classes far outdps and heal others to the point where even hardcore pvp holdouts have stopped pvping.

from the forums it seems possible to lv though pvp but there seems to be a drop off at the 30s area as exp seems to slow down there. recent changes might have changed that. there is no twinking as far as im aware although techincally exp from just pvp could be slow enough where you could be in the same bracket for a very long time.

if you havent played for a while i think they were giving out free patron to players that havent logged in a long time. so u might be able to try it without even using your rex first

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post

I think these are my first and most important questions
    I can try to answer

1: Absolutely stuffed with players, it's early days yet, everyone is still on their first month of Patron so we'll see after the month is up but there's login queues every night at Peak times

2:No current plans for an EU Server, they don't want the worse possible scenario of a lot of players leaving after month one/two are up and both servers have to be merged.

This is the first of what Trion are calling Challenge servers and yes there was a mention made of some server where it was a free-for-all PvP with just your Guild members not able to 'gank' you and a cap of five members, no idea will this come about, plans are still up in the air, all we know is that they're keeping all options open and again depends on the staying power of players still playing 4 months, 6 months, a year down the road.

3: From what was mentioned a few weeks back, yes the old PvP ranks/earning Prestige/unique PvP gear is coming back, have heard nothing since but as more people hit level 50 we'll hear news, assuming it's not getting held over for level 60 and Storm Legion?

4:Low level Warfronts are stuffed, instant queues in the 10-20 and 20-30 brackets, higher brackets can take about 5 mins because not many players are even above level 30 but Guild Quest this week for PvP was win 10x Whitefall Steppes and that's a 30+ Warfront, got it done in a few hours.

5: There is no way to turn off XP, no way to self mentor anymore, you get auto mentored to the highest level limit of a zone, for example going back to Silverwood or Freemarch as a level 50 you will get auto mentored down to level 20 which is the cap for those zones.

So no Twinks.

I've been grinding the level 20 area rifts for the 2k planarite needed for the mystic archer soul yesterday evening and I finally got it.
    But after playing for a few minutes it doesn't seem that great compared to my Pyromancer build, perhaps I'm just not choosing the right talents/playing correctly? Does anyone have an idea what build I should go for as MA? I'm currently level 22

Quote Originally Posted by Svens View Post
    I've been grinding the level 20 area rifts for the 2k planarite needed for the mystic archer soul yesterday evening and I finally got it.
    But after playing for a few minutes it doesn't seem that great compared to my Pyromancer build, perhaps I'm just not choosing the right talents/playing correctly? Does anyone have an idea what build I should go for as MA? I'm currently level 22
    Check the Rifts guides section on their website. There are tons of guides there for leveling specs for each class. I would also ask this question there since you will probably get a better answer since those posting in those sections play your class.

So i've never used addons in Rift. I want to use a damage meter like the ones in wow but the meters on curse dont seem to have been updated in a year or so. Where can I DL a current one from a site thats safe and where do you install it to? I opened the Rift folder and didnt see an add on folder. Where would the meter be placed?

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    So i've never used addons in Rift. I want to use a damage meter like the ones in wow but the meters on curse dont seem to have been updated in a year or so. Where can I DL a current one from a site thats safe and where do you install it to? I opened the Rift folder and didnt see an add on folder. Where would the meter be placed?
    Even though they haven't been updated in ages, they work. There have not been major changes to the API in quite some time, so most of the old stuff still works just fine, hence no updates or new stuff. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I used the Twitch Client to install them myself. Makes it easy and keeps them "up-to-date" if they are updated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your two main 'go to' sites for Addons:

https://rift.curseforge.com/addons

http://www.riftui.com/addons.php

Rift Meter is probably the more comprehensive of the Damage meters out there, looks similar to the popular one in WoW if memory serves me correct.

NM, went into the game and opened it through the interface. Thanks.
    Last edited by xuros; 2018-03-21 at 05:12 PM.

I absolutely loved Rift at launch and left WoW for it for almost a full year. The main reason I left is because the game play just got super boring for me because the optimal way for many classes to DPS is to simply make a macro with all of your main DPS abilities with a couple other buttons or macros for one off abilities. I know WoW only has a few abilities you press now, but at least there it's a decision making process, with Rift and macros there's no decisions to make really.

I loved the aesthetic, the story and lore and the rest of the game play with the Rifts changing things and popping up randomly, but pretty often and providing some pretty decent rewards. The questing experience was very enjoyable for the most part. Dungeons were always very hit or miss because of how people would all play a kind of hybrid class that wasn't really focused at tanking, healing or DPS so things either died too slowly, heals couldn't cope with the amount of incoming damage and tanks just couldn't take hits. That changed later, but was still pretty prevalent.

All that said, I'd be quite interested in checking this out but just want to make sure the game is enjoyable as far as questing, xp and rifts are concerned. I can't stand xp grinds to make sure you don't under level the content you're SUPPOSED to be participating in. Meaning, I did the full quest chain in a zone and participated in Rifts while I was doing it, but the next zone I'm supposed to go to is 3+ levels higher level than I am even after doing everything I'm supposed to. From what I'm hearing it seems that's what's happening, is that accurate? Does this version have the adventure questing they implemented in Storm Legion where you just queue up and instantly teleport to the level appropriate area to just zerg the quests/ objectives?Is just questing and rifts a viable way to level up or is grinding required?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I know WoW only has a few abilities you press now, but at least there it's a decision making process, with Rift and macros there's no decisions to make really.
    Well, you decided to use macros. You don't really have to and can still be optimal if you use them properly. The macros are there for the people who want to make it easier on themselves, but no one makes you use them.

All that said, I'd be quite interested in checking this out but just want to make sure the game is enjoyable as far as questing, xp and rifts are concerned. I can't stand xp grinds to make sure you don't under level the content you're SUPPOSED to be participating in. Meaning, I did the full quest chain in a zone and participated in Rifts while I was doing it, but the next zone I'm supposed to go to is 3+ levels higher level than I am even after doing everything I'm supposed to. From what I'm hearing it seems that's what's happening, is that accurate? Does this version have the adventure questing they implemented in Storm Legion where you just queue up and instantly teleport to the level appropriate area to just zerg the quests/ objectives?Is just questing and rifts a viable way to level up or is grinding required?
    They just boosted the quest XP by about 3 times, so you should be able to just quest now if that's your thing. Kinda disappointing to me really, as I actually enjoy grinding dungeons and some PvP. Now that people don't need to do that though, there will be less people doing it.

I think you are referring to IAs, Instant Adventures, and no, those are not in Prime. With the boost the quest XP though, shouldn't really be needed.

Well, you decided to use macros. You don't really have to and can still be optimal if you use them properly. The macros are there for the people who want to make it easier on themselves, but no one makes you use them.

They just boosted the quest XP by about 3 times, so you should be able to just quest now if that's your thing. Kinda disappointing to me really, as I actually enjoy grinding dungeons and some PvP. Now that people don't need to do that though, there will be less people doing it.

I think you are referring to IAs, Instant Adventures, and no, those are not in Prime. With the boost the quest XP though, shouldn't really be needed.
    Good to know, I'll check it out at least. I really did enjoy it.

Fair point about the macros, but on some classes playing optimally is pretty tedious with the number of DPS abilities with procs or cooldowns to manage them all and still do optimal DPS. You can still choose not to use macros and play optimally, for sure, but I don't really see a compelling point in not using them when the alternative is to make DPS'ing more complicated and variable just for the sake of making it more complicated and variable.

Good to know, I'll check it out at least. I really did enjoy it.

Fair point about the macros, but on some classes playing optimally is pretty tedious with the number of DPS abilities with procs or cooldowns to manage them all and still do optimal DPS. You can still choose not to use macros and play optimally, for sure, but I don't really see a compelling point in not using them when the alternative is to make DPS'ing more complicated and variable just for the sake of making it more complicated and variable.
    You are confusing me and/or contradicting yourself now. First you say, the macros make things to simple. Then you say you don't see the point in making it more complicated? Which one do you want, simple or complicated. You first said you want it more complicated, then say you don't see the point in making it more complicated. You are hurting my brain.

You are confusing me and/or contradicting yourself now. First you say, the macros make things to simple. Then you say you don't see the point in making it more complicated? Which one do you want, simple or complicated. You first said you want it more complicated, then say you don't see the point in making it more complicated. You are hurting my brain.
    How is accepting that making macros is the most optimal and consistent way to DPS, yet also accepting that using them makes DPS too simple a contradiction?

I remember playing druid/shaman/inquisitor for a while which was one of the classes that had the most abilities I remember macroing. I found a guide online to refresh my memory and here is the optimal single target macro:

Single Target:
    show Fervent Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Spirit of Asphodel
    cast Fae Mimicry
    cast Essence Strike
    cast Combined Effort
    cast Resounding Blow
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Fervent Strike
    cast Trickster's Bolt

That's a toggle on for an aura (Spirit of Asphodel), followed by 7 abilities, with Fervent Strike and Trickster's Bolt being the base abilities with little or no cooldown, the rest are either procs or have a cooldown. Managing that rotation manually would be a pain in the ass, and not fun because you'd spend much of your time looking at or paying attention to the UI/ hotbars rather than your character/ enemies/ etc...

I don't see the point in choosing the more complicated option for when it doesn't have to be that way. Working harder for a more variable or possibly even worse result is stupid.

A can of soda has a little tab to open it with, but it would be more complicated to get a box cutter and cut the top off, likely spilling a fair amount of the drink and risking getting cut on the sharp edges, then I need to go find a cup to put the drink in and then clean up the mess I've made and possibly bandage myself up...

Does that make sense?

How is accepting that making macros is the most optimal and consistent way to DPS, yet also accepting that using them makes DPS too simple a contradiction?

I remember playing druid/shaman/inquisitor for a while which was one of the classes that had the most abilities I remember macroing. I found a guide online to refresh my memory and here is the optimal single target macro:

Single Target:
    show Fervent Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Spirit of Asphodel
    cast Fae Mimicry
    cast Essence Strike
    cast Combined Effort
    cast Resounding Blow
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Fervent Strike
    cast Trickster's Bolt

That's a toggle on for an aura (Spirit of Asphodel), followed by 7 abilities, with Fervent Strike and Trickster's Bolt being the base abilities with little or no cooldown, the rest are either procs or have a cooldown. Managing that rotation manually would be a pain in the ass, and not fun because you'd spend much of your time looking at or paying attention to the UI/ hotbars rather than your character/ enemies/ etc...

I don't see the point in choosing the more complicated option for when it doesn't have to be that way. Working harder for a more variable or possibly even worse result is stupid.

A can of soda has a little tab to open it with, but it would be more complicated to get a box cutter and cut the top off, likely spilling a fair amount of the drink and risking getting cut on the sharp edges, then I need to go find a cup to put the drink in and then clean up the mess I've made and possibly bandage myself up...

Does that make sense?
    On the can opening, I don't hear anyone complaining that the tab makes it too simple. The contradiction is the fact that you are saying it's too simple with the macros, but then refusing to not use macros.

You know you can adjust it infinitely in between. In your example. Instead of making it 7 different buttons and too complicated, make it 3? Put CDs all in one, Procs in another and the leftovers in a third. Pull out just one Proc or something. You can adjust it to how you want it.

The contradiction is that you are complaining about it being too simple when you have the ability to make it less simple. When pointed out, you basically said, "Why would I do that?" If you don't want to do that, don't complain that it's to simple using them. If you do that, don't complain that it's too complicated not using them. Pick one or the other, or somewhere in the middle.

On the can opening, I don't hear anyone complaining that the tab makes it too simple. The contradiction is the fact that you are saying it's too simple with the macros, but then refusing to not use macros.

You know you can adjust it infinitely in between. In your example. Instead of making it 7 different buttons and too complicated, make it 3? Put CDs all in one, Procs in another and the leftovers in a third. Pull out just one Proc or something. You can adjust it to how you want it.

The contradiction is that you are complaining about it being too simple when you have the ability to make it less simple. When pointed out, you basically said, "Why would I do that?" If you don't want to do that, don't complain that it's to simple using them. If you do that, don't complain that it's too complicated not using them. Pick one or the other, or somewhere in the middle.
    My complaint is not that it's too simple, not really, that may have been what I said initially but that's not what I'm really getting at. It's that the game design is such that using macros is the most optimal way to play, it doesn't feel like the game play of each class was designed to flow a certain way like in other games where classes are less fluid (WoW and FFXIV come to mind) since the soul system gives classes a LOT of flexibility as to what abilities they have access to. However, for all of the abilities each class can have access to, the abilities are all pretty similar as far as mechanics, they are just different flavors of the same thing. So, in the end, most DPS classes play almost identically as far as what they're doing in a fight.

I value game play, for sure, but the community and the groups I play with don't give a shit about how I feel about the game and if I'm having fun in their groups, at least not primarily, they care about my performance and the most optimal way to get consistent DPS performance is to use macros like the example I provided.

You're arguing that I shouldn't complain because I always have the option to make the game play as easy or as complicated as I want based on how I utilize macros. That soda can example fits perfectly, but you're right that no one is complaining about it being too simple, because everyone's ultimate goal when picking up a soda can when they're thirsty is to get the drink inside so they will use the easiest and most direct and efficient method to achieve that goal. Same concept here, when the ultimate goal for a DPS class is to perform well and people care about achieving that goal, they'll use the most direct and efficient method for achieving it.

First I should mention I haven't played enough of to try out every single dps soul to say if they fill similar or not. I use to hate the idea of needing to throw in 5-6 abilities into one macro back when I played many years ago. Now though I don't mind, the only thing I think change for me is just the idea of thinking of each ability as part of the rotation. That new 6 sec CD ability gained, I now instead just think of it as my builder does X more damage every 6 seconds. Similar to WoW in how talents, old glyphs, tier sets, legendary items, and artifact weapons, modify portions of a spell to add a effect or just do more damage. I think of new ability "throw in the macro" builders like that. Not everyone will see it that way, but coming back from rift 5 years later thats how I see it.

The one big thing I dislike is the fact that some people suggest that 5-6 abilities on different keybinds doesn't increase the difficulty of a rotation vs 5-6 abilities in a macro.

And also combat animation wise isn't as cool, since each spell isn't unique animation. Imagine those updated ff14 animations in rift.