Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Pick one:

A) Parents are retarded for leaving a loaded gun near pre-teen children

B) Video games turn children into murderous demons
    A).

only retards would choose B.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Actually they should be taught about them and how deadly they are and how proper safe storage with them is vital. Then the parents need to show them they are serous.
    No, they are children, the last thing they need is to be taught about guns, you may have your right to bear arms and I can't be bothered to argue how moronic that is because it won't change but children should be allowed a childhood. They should never need to know how to safely handle a gun because they should never be put in a situation where they can handle a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

I am responding. Lol. Not agreeing with you does not mean someone is not responding. I need to go to town for some shopping. If you wish to continue this debate, I will be more than willing to do it in the Gun Control thread. Which is where most of the discussion on this should be. :P
    You haven't responded to the actual argument, no. You've just responded to the word "AR-15".

10+ Year Old Account
    And your opinion does not mean it is. And yes, a parked car if the keys are left in it and one child puts the car in gear and backs over a sister or brother playing behind it, can be just as easy to kill them.
    Bit more complicated than just pulling a trigger though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    No, they are children, the last thing they need is to be taught about guns, you may have your right to bear arms and I can't be bothered to argue how moronic that is because it won't change but children should be allowed a childhood. They should never need to know how to safely handle a gun because they should never be put in a situation where they can handle a gun.
    Wat. In eighth grade I took a class on target shooting. Before that I had taken a proper gun safety class in 4-H (though I preferred archery). There are plenty of areas where kids are taught how to use .22 rifles so they can go out and hunt small game. How is any of this somehow anti-childhood? What is somehow wrong about teaching them how guns are dangerous and need to be respected?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The same purpose the Second Amendment meant to have. The right to defend yourself with a firearm. Which for many, means just as much as any right.
    The second amendment was written 226 years ago in a very different context from the world of today. But hell, who am I to lecture you about your history...

If I die from a deadly attack, my right to pursue happiness is gone. :P
    True. This is part of why everyone gets so upset every time another Columbine happens. I don't believe that there is any evidence to support the notion that American citizens are safer for having the right to bear arms. I'd say it's pretty certain that the opposite holds true.

It's one thing to argue that you personally are safer if you own a gun in a gun rife society....until you realise that if you lived in a gun free society, you'd have no need of the gun in the first place. When you look at the bigger picture, the number of gun owners who are actually safer is probably miniscule.

Eh. I'm definitely against guns (as shown above), but this is just stupid. Not learning how to handle something doesn't mean that thing doesn't exist. Handling guns without any knowledge about them is dangerous (the accident in the article could've been avoided with proper education).

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a hard time imagining a frustrated 9 year old crashing a car through his living room because he doesn't get what he wants.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Moronic fucking parents who don't consider the consequences of leaving around deadly weapons strikes once again. Thanks, America! /s

LEARN TO LOCK UP YOUR GOD DAMN WEAPONS, PEOPLE.
    Or, you know, maybe don't buy the god damn things in the first place....

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    When society places a high value on the right to bear arms, it has to accept that it is a statistical inevitability that some of those guns are going to land up in the hands of "moronic, irresponsible parents".

Also, I would point out that many "moronic, irresponsible parents" probably preach the same tune about how it is other people who the irresponsible ones. Until it happens to them. All human beings make mistakes. Sure some of us make less than others, but none of is infallible. But when you have guns in the mix, the potential consequences of the mistakes are amplified.

True, but irrelevant.

1) Even responsible people can make errors.
    2) When you have a societal principle of "the right to bear arms", that includes all the "irresponsible sacks of shit" (largely because knowing the difference between a responsible and irresponsible would-be gun owner is often not immediately apparent)
    Fair points, but the responsibility of this specific incident (and others like it) still falls squarely on the person/people who negligently left their loaded, unsecured gun out. Society didn't make them do that.

I'm not going to pretend people don't make mistakes, but this wasn't just a mistake it was an egregious lack of judgement that was likely preceded by a lot of negligent behavior and stupidity. Vigilant, responsible gun owners don't EVER leave guns loaded, out in the open, unsecured and in easy reach of their small children...with the loaded part being the main issue here.

But this is exactly why I am personally an advocate of gun control that treats guns as the deadly weapons they are and not a toy that everyone should have access to just because they want one. IMO gun ownership and operation should be treated just like driving a car with you required to have a license to even buy one, and regular verification that establishes if you are still, "qualified" is the only term I can think of, to own and operate one. That said I don't want to derail this into a gun control discussion.

Tragedy the kid died, and I think the parents should be held responsible for negligence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Or, you know, maybe don't buy the god damn things in the first place....
    There's nothing wrong with having guns, but there's everything wrong with having them when you're not willing to be responsible for them. Take a gun safety course, buy gun lockers, practice said gun safety, teach your kids that they aren't toys and if they ever see them they're to tell their parents or the nearest adult.

EDIT: Like the guy above me said, I think that training, a license, and regular verification for gun ownership would be an excellent idea.

I agree, they should never be in a situation where they can handle a gun at such a young age. However we live in the real world, not some fantasy world. I would like my kids to know what a gun is and how dangerous they are so if they come across one, laying in the park or something, they can notify somebody so someone doesnt get hurt. Or if they are at a friends house and their friend is playing around with it they know how dangerous it is and I hope my teaching wins out and he leaves and never goes back, tells me, so I can discuss what happened to the parent and then of course never allow my kid at the house ever again. We live in a world where kids have toy guns and adults have guns. They arent taught the real results of what they can do. I wouldnt want my kids handling guns, BUT if it ever came to it, I would want them to know how to safely handle one, as to not harm anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    It happened in a state that is as red as they get. I doubt they have laws for how to keep guns (unless it is about having to treat them well).
    Your liberal government-knows-best attitude is showing. It's doubtful a law on the books saying you have to store a gun safely while it's at home (assuming there isn't one in this case), would have made any difference. If one doesn't know to store a gun safely away around children, there's very little chance a law in some legislature tucked away in some backroom is going to elicit such an action of safety.

Most "red" people are rural, and aren't packing hand guns, they're packing rifles, shotties, etc. I look forward to when details are released and we find out this was another inner city situation with handguns. You know... the prevalent problem we have within certain communities in this country. Memphis tennessee is on the border with Mississippi.

http://wreg.com/2017/05/04/gangs-in-...tting-smaller/

Edit: If you're asking why am I bringing the "gang" theme into a story about a 9 year old boy shooting his teen sister over a video controller. The gang problem brings handguns into homes. It forces guns into the homes of people who need the safety (either because of their own involvement, or the fear of gangs in the area). They're not enthusiast who practice gun safety, it's a requirement that they sometimes don't understand.

If we want real results in reducing gun violence in America, we need to come up with real solutions to gang problems.
    Last edited by Narwal; 2018-03-19 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    In theory anyway. Except, we are talking about reality, of which there are zero "pro-gun" advocates who are not "irresponsible" some way or another, as judged by their callous take on life versus their precious guns.
    Very few, if any, gun control activists that are actually having worthwhile discussions on the subject and not just spouting BS are actually anti-gun. They're pro-gun ro at least pro second amendment, but just want to put better controls in place to help ensure unstable, violent, irresponsible people aren't able to buy one or aren't able to continue operating one.

I agree with you on the point that MANY of the "pro-gun" advocates, who are vehemently anti gun control, fall into the category you're talking about though. When they're only coherent argument on the subject is "but I like guns"..... yeah.
    Last edited by Katchii; 2018-03-19 at 03:30 PM.

EDIT: Like the guy above me said, I think that training, a license, and regular verification for gun ownership would be an excellent idea.
    It would be an excellent idea. It wouldnt solve a damn thing though. People are people and will ignore rules or what they have learned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    It would be an excellent idea. It wouldnt solve a damn thing though. People are people and will ignore rules or what they have learned.
    I like the idea of a mandatory viewing of all gun related deaths, spelled out with pictures and excruciating details, with the people forced to watch to help the severity and seriousness of gun ownership to sink in. Particularly all the child deaths should help people like the above get it through their stupid skulls that they need to leave their weapons unloaded and locked up.

Not saying it's right, but if people choose to own a gun and they have children, part of being a responsible gun owner and parent is to at least educate your child on what they are, what they look like, how deadly they are (meaning they are NOT toys) and what to do if they see one.

This kind of incident would likely not have happened had both children been educated on guns. And having a little less of a childhood due to having to be taught about guns is a LOT better than this tragedy.

I like the idea of a mandatory viewing of all gun related deaths, spelled out with pictures and excruciating details, with the people forced to watch to help the severity and seriousness of gun ownership to sink in. Particularly all the child deaths should help people like the above get it through their stupid skulls that they need to leave their weapons unloaded and locked up.
    It wont help. Just like all those pictures of gross genitalia dealing with STD's doesnt help. Just like that wrecked up car sitting in the school parking lot doesnt help DUI's or texting while driving. Just like the cigarette commercials dont stop people from smoking. Its a simple matter, people just dont think bad stuff happens to them.

Tax should be levied on fire arms. That tax should go towards random inspections. Owner must be able to demonstrate that their licensed firearms are properly maintained and securely stored.

Failure results in your firearms being taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    Tax should be levied on fire arms. That tax should go towards random inspections. Owner must be able to demonstrate that their licensed firearms are properly maintained and securely stored.

Failure results in your firearms being taken.
    Flagrant violation of the 4th amendment.

Regardless of your feelings on the 2nd amendment, this is an absolutely unacceptable result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.