Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    And people that just say its not video games , there is some evidence to show Video games can make a child more aggressive

http://time.com/34075/how-violent-vi...ut-aggression/
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I admit, I've done some stupid shit while driving before. Things that make me immediately pay more attention and curse myself out for being so dumb afterwards. I've nearly gotten into accidents at least twice before that were my fault, but instead of blaming other people, I take responsibility and try to avoid those situations in the future.

Wish more people were like that.
    I agree, there has been a steady decline in responsibility and integrity in America. Many of our problems, I feel, are connected to this.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    I guess we have a difference of opinion because where I live the chances of any of your examples happening are practically non existent.

Well, you do, I don't. Again, I guess that's why we have different opinions on this.
    So because where you live means the rest of the country is the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    And it turned into a gun control debate .
    As it always should, I don't know anyone who has died of a gun related accident that wasn't a freak accident.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Not saying it's right, but if people choose to own a gun and they have children, part of being a responsible gun owner and parent is to at least educate your child on what they are, what they look like, how deadly they are (meaning they are NOT toys) and what to do if they see one.

This kind of incident would likely not have happened had both children been educated on guns. And having a little less of a childhood due to having to be taught about guns is a LOT better than this tragedy.
    But this to me just seems like covering your own ass as a parent which is not what it should be about. If you are not confident you can keep your guns and your children separate surely the answer is don't have kids or don't buy a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

I guess we have a difference of opinion because where I live the chances of any of your examples happening are practically non existent.
    Thats fine, you obviously live in a different situation than I. Thats the joy of a free society, you can raise and teach your child what you think is important for living in your area, I can raise and teach my child what I think is important for living in my area. I will one day have to have the "Driving While Black" talk and how to act around police officers. You probably wont.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    As it always should, I don't know anyone who has died of a gun related accident that wasn't a freak accident.
    We have a Gun control Mega thread

We have a Gun control Mega thread
    That is ok but the conversation will never go away until something is done about it regardless of "Mega Threads".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    Kids at those ages are labile, and prone to aggression if pushed. Couple that with parents that dont properly explain the concept of gun lethality + media of guns being shot without clear consequence.

We've had kids beat other kids to death, due to simply not understanding that they would die.

This incident is entirely on the parents, and the fact that america is a place were its legal to own personalised firearms, why? Because something that caused death should kinda be idiot proof, guns clearly arents as this one wasnt secured, unloaded and locked in a safe.
    So we either start enforcing how parents raise their children, or implement gun control.

Or just do as Republicans have done in the past and claim that thousands of dead bodies a year are the price of freedom.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by xcitng View Post
    Gun laws, great laws

kappa
    Obviously video game consoles need to be armed to prevent living room tragedies

10+ Year Old Account
    My father had a gun, we NEVER knew he did till we sorted his personal belongings out after he died. My mom said he had it for years!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    They won't ever do anything about it because "Muh amendments and rights!!11".
    So you are for denying people their constitutional rights and freedoms? Is that what you are saying?

I guess it's a good thing the NRA destroyed any chance of having guns with finger print identifications we wouldn't want to deny kids their second amendment rights /s

But this to me just seems like covering your own ass as a parent which is not what it should be about. If you are not confident you can keep your guns and your children separate surely the answer is don't have kids or don't buy a gun.
    If you own a gun and have a child, there will come a time when that child will be exposed to the gun, whether intentionally or not. It is far better to educate them, expecting the interaction to occur at some point, than to hope that they'll never see it. You can't plan for everything, so there should be no way a parent can be 100% confident their child will never see the gun, THAT'S irresponsible to me because it's not based in reality and semi delusional.

And people that just say its not video games , there is some evidence to show Video games can make a child more aggressive

http://time.com/34075/how-violent-vi...ut-aggression/
    Clickbait title, unproperly sourced statistics, dubious methodology, lack of parental screening for content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Your article, with my emphasis added
    Approximately 90% of children in the U.S. play video games, and more than 90% of those games involve mature content that often includes violence.
    [citation needed]
    Quote Originally Posted by Your article, with my emphasis added
    Working with 3,034 boys and girls in the third, fourth, seventh, and eighth grades in Singapore, Anderson and his colleagues asked the children three times over a period of two years detailed questions about their video game habits. They were also given standardized questionnaires designed to measure their aggressive behavior and attitudes toward violence.

Overall, the students’ scores on aggressive behavior, as well hostile attitudes and fantasies about violence against others, declined slightly throughout the study. That’s because children tend to act less aggressively as they get older, and learn more mature ways of dealing with conflicts than lashing out.

But a closer look at kids who played more hours of violent video games per week revealed increases in aggressive behavior and violent tendencies, compared to those who played fewer hours a week. When asked if it was okay for a boy to strike a peer if that peer said something negative about him, for example, these kids were more likely to say yes. They also scored higher on measures of hostility, answering that they would to respond with aggressive action when provoked, even accidentally. The more long-term gamers were also more likely to fantasize about hitting someone they didn’t like.

“What this study does is show that it’s media violence exposure that is teaching children and adolescents to see the world in a more aggressive kind of way,” says Anderson. “It shows very strongly that repeated exposure to violent video games can increase aggression by increasing aggressive thinking.”
    My question is this - why are we asking children between the ages of 8 and 13 about their experience with videogames intended for people 13 and over (or 18 and over in the cases of the actually violent ones), and labeled as such? Maybe parents should make sure their 8 year old isn't playing GTA or Call of Duty, just like parents should make sure their 8 year old isn't watching Rambo or Pulp Fiction, just like parents should make sure their 8 year old isn't listening to NWA or Disturbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Odds are this child had mental issues, either diagnosed or not. He has probably lashed out in a very violent manner before. The fault lies entirely with the parents for for failing to secure the fire arm. The gun didnt force the child to do this. He could have just as easily used a knife or a heavy object . The parents and the child are at fault and must live with this.

Obvious (for now, at least) issue lies with parents, who left a loaded gun unsecured, and I, guess, didn't really teach the kid about what it actually is and what it can do.

So you are for denying people their constitutional rights and freedoms? Is that what you are saying?
    Dont overdo it, you perfectly well understood what he/she/it meant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Pretty sure you're sorely misunderstanding here. Nobody said weapons training, but rather instructing the kid on how dangerous a gun is. That should happen at the same time as the "don't touch stove when it's on, very hurty" or "don't touch the big knives, very hurty" conversation. So right about age 2-3?

It's about learning how to respect dangerous things, not about learning how to hit that infidel running away across the field.
    I didn't have any of that but I always knew they were dangerous, if I saw them on tv, of in a comic, they were always portrayed as dangerous and that was all I needed. I didn't need a separate sit down to have it explained and nobody I know did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

Thoughts and prayers.....
    ......moving on

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I guess it's a good thing the NRA destroyed any chance of having guns with finger print identifications we wouldn't want to deny kids their second amendment rights /s
    Please just stop with this Bullshit. Biometric guns were a bad idea as they are now. They failed to work and actually put peoples lives at risk who depend on a firearm for protection. This was gone over ad nauseum in the Gun control mega thread