Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Angry Rant about hunters...

So this was posted in a Facebook group I'm a part of. I'm utterly speechless.

Warning: rant and nervous breakdown ahead...I just got kicked from a Dungeon..my first time doing one. They kept telling me I had my pet on growl, but there wasn't such a command on my pet bar. I was trying to figure it out, but they were verbally abusive and then kicked me out. I feel so humiliated and embarrassed and I HATE dungeons. If they weren't required in Legion I'd never do another one again as long as I live. I told them it was my first dungeon, they didn't care. Nobody was kind, or tried to help. All of the bad things I heard about pugs are true. I may even quit the game if I can't progress past a certain point due to dungeons being required. I have been abused my entire life in various ways, and bullied. This triggered my PTSD..I just feel horrible. Sorry for venting, i just don't know what to do. This used to be a fun game and now it just represents stress and abuse. At least the mystery of why my pet was throwing aggro is solved..it's a turtle and there was a command called 'thunderstomp' that must have caused the problem. But I don't think I'll ever do another dungeon. Is there any way to solo the Legion dungeons? I haven't been able to do it on my 110 Hunter. Games should be fun...
    I really couldn't post what I truly wanted to say to this lady in the group for fear I'd be kicked for expressing anything negative to her. The few things I noticed was: 1) She has another 110 hunter. 2) Growl wasn't on her toolbar. 3) Turtle pet was in the default tenacity spec instead of ferocity. Judging from the sounds of what she said, she doesn't know how to change specs for pets or open her pet's spellbook. This is one of many reasons why hunters get the name huntards by many people.

EDIT

Maybe I should clarify on this matter. She said a few comments down that this was NOT her first hunter. It was a lower level alt on a different server and that she had other 110s including a 110 hunter (not boosted). The fact that she has another hunter at max level and doesn't even grasp how pets have specs or spellbooks is what annoys the fuck out of me and several other people in that post she made AND the people that were in her group.
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2018-03-19 at 11:02 PM. Reason: edit

I think people need to be a little more open minded. Everyone has had different life experiences and what might seem mind numbingly obvious to one person might be a completely new concept to someone else. She specifically said that it was her first dungeon, and if that was the case then Growl would never have been something that she would ever have needed to toggle before. Sometimes Growl isn't on the pet bar (I have no idea why), and it's actually quite difficult to find if you don't know where it is. She did also say that she "was trying to figure it out" before she was verbally abused and kicked from the dungeon.

I think people have a tendency to forget that there's an actual person controlling each character while doing LFD, and the anonymity that the game provides has the potential to breed extremely antisocial and toxic behaviour. I remember when I was levelling my hunter, I was doing quests while queuing for dungeons. I had Growl toggled on while doing quests, with the intention to turn it off during dungeons. One dungeon I forgot to turn it off, and the tank immediately responded with "turn off growl", "uninstall your game", "uninstall your life"; suggesting that I should kill myself because I forgot to turn off Growl. I responded with "Sorry, I was questing", to which he responded with silence for the rest of the dungeon. I hope my response made him realise that he was speaking to another human being, and perhaps how ridiculously excessive he was with his response.

My sympathy goes to the lady. If anyone had a negative opinion of her from reading her story, then my opinion is that they are in the wrong.

Wait, I'm lost.. Are you saying that she "deserves to be kicked for being a huntard", or that the group should be more lenient with her?

In any case, the group should have tried to explain how she could find the growl ability in the pet spellbook (In case it was not already on the pet bar, which is very likely).
    And I very much doubt thunderstomp would be able to pull aggro off of any tank of the same level anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's just the thing tho. I'm almost positive growl isn't put on your pet ability bar by default anymore. Her pet being in tenacity, even with thunderstomp isn't going to pull aggro from much other than trash. And even then it wouldn't be for very long unless the tank was garbage. I'll check a fresh hunter to see if growl is on bar, but I don't think it is.

Edit: Just checked a fresh level 1 hunter, and an low level allied race hunter to see if growl was on the pet bar. Like I thought, it wasn't, so if the hunter wasn't aware about the pet spellbook then she would have no idea that growl was on.
    Last edited by Gracin; 2018-03-18 at 02:03 PM.

Deleted
    All i can conclude from this is that OP is even more of a retard than the people in the Facebook group are.

Lot of shit people in the game. I would like to think I would of told her to open her spell book and click it off, but I wasn’t there so not sure. Usually like to help but everyone has bad days..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    This is a pretty pointless thread isn't it OP
    The point of this thread is to shed light on not being a fucking tool to other players, because they may not know every single intricate detail about this game. Try teaching rather than dumping on people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    That's just the thing tho. I'm almost positive growl isn't put on your pet ability bar by default anymore. Her pet being in tenacity, even with thunderstomp isn't going to pull aggro from much other than trash. And even then it wouldn't be for very long unless the tank was garbage. I'll check a fresh hunter to see if growl is on bar, but I don't think it is.

Edit: Just checked a fresh level 1 hunter, and an low level allied race hunter to see if growl was on the pet bar. Like I thought, it wasn't, so if the hunter wasn't aware about the pet spellbook then she would have no idea that growl was on.

Yep. Every pet spec and every new game have growl on by default and don't have it on the pet bar.
    I still sometimes forget when I grab a new tame.

I think the main issue is, whether you level your hunter or use a boost. You will have no idea the pet spell book exists until you search for it by accident or Google it.
    If they simply had a mini tutorial pop up letting people know. That'd be great.
    And put growl on the pet bar by default would help immensely.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixnalia View Post
    Yep. Every pet spec and every new game have growl on by default and don't have it on the pet bar.
    I still sometimes forget when I grab a new tame.

I think the main issue is, whether you level your hunter or use a boost. You will have no idea the pet spell book exists until you search for it by accident or Google it.
    If they simply had a mini tutorial pop up letting people know. That'd be great.
    And put growl on the pet bar by default would help immensely.
    Not having Growl on the bar by default is one of the biggest mistakes Blizzard can do for new players. It is such a vital spell that can and will cause problems for new players.
    But I have heard rumors that coming BfA Growl will be removed and only the tank spec of a pet can actually pull aggro. Hopefully that will clear things up for new players. Especially if all newly tamed pets are placed in dps spec by default.

To me it shows nothing more then what the wow players are like, including you OP, no patience in taking a step back and think about what might be going on, anyone with a little clue would have noticed the thunderstomp if that was the issue, and if it was growl it would be taunted every 8 seconds, and thus they only had to tell h er to check her spellbook and voila. No, this is just the way people are in this game, being a ass without consequence.

Tell her to play MM - BM sucks ass anyway
    And shepherds we shall be...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post

I really couldn't post what I truly wanted to say to this lady in the group for fear I'd be kicked for expressing anything negative to her. The few things I noticed was: 1) She has another 110 hunter. 2) Growl wasn't on her toolbar. 3) Turtle pet was in the default tenacity spec instead of ferocity. Judging from the sounds of what she said, she doesn't know how to change specs for pets or open her pet's spellbook. This is one of many reasons why hunters get the name huntards by many people.
    So basically, you're one of the people she's ranting about. Gotcha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    To me it shows nothing more then what the wow players are like, including you OP, no patience in taking a step back and think about what might be going on, anyone with a little clue would have noticed the thunderstomp if that was the issue, and if it was growl it would be taunted every 8 seconds, and thus they only had to tell h er to check her spellbook and voila. No, this is just the way people are in this game, being a ass without consequence.
    Yep, exactly. Instead of taking, I don't know, 12 seconds to help someone better understand what is happening and thus prevent it - people opt to be rude anonymous shitheads.

Gotta love WoW's 'community'.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Oof....so much wrong with almost every aspect of this situation:

1) Dungeons are not required for anything.
    2) Group with random people, get random results.
    3) Made it to 110 without figuring out how pets work, or without the game explaining it.
    4) Triggered by rude people on the internet? Really? It's the freakin internet, what did you expect?
    5) Everyone is not required to like you, hold your hand, teach you your class, or even be polite.
    6) Allowed a single experience to ruin everything. Life is not all rainbows and sunshine. Try again, maybe?

I'm REALLY not trying to sound harsh here, but there are a lot of flawed expectations going on. And when those expectations weren't met perfectly, apparently everything falls apart. There are PLENTY of easy solutions to the "problems" this hunter is having. She should check with her guild, her friends, and it sounds like the facebook page she's part of. Hopefully people who are actually inclined to be helpful to her will sort things out.

- - - Updated - - -

But to make an attempt to be constructive, I'll answer my own list:

1) Try again.
    2) Try again.
    3) Research your class. Actually open your spellbook and look at the pet tab. Read the tooltips.
    4) Grow a thicker skin, or stop going into public spaces online.
    5) Try again. See #4
    6) Try again.

Mostly realize that people are not always going to be super friendly, or have the time, effort, willpower, or patience to be nice to you for no reason when you're actually wasting their time by being bad at your class. Toughen up. Learn to play. Ask your guild and friends for advice and help on getting better. Maybe run dungeons with them instead of the general public(who you should already know are generally indifferent to you and have no reason to be otherwise).

And most of all, recognize that even if you do everything right, there will STILL be groups of people who treat you exactly like they did. Because quite honestly, some people are just a-holes. That's THEIR problem, not yours, and you're probably better off not associating with them anyway.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-03-19 at 01:38 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Triggered there “ptsd”, ya I’m sure.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hoping that I don't come over as insensitive, but I'm not feeling sorry for this person. I understand that it triggered PTSD and that people can be relentless, but it's not the defining inequality of the game. There are plenty of positive experiences to be gained, it was just unfortunate that this particular group was unkind. Normally you walk away from this with a dent and some time wasted. I'd urge this person to come prepared and accept that misconduct in any environment is a possibility and not a certainty. Time to gain positive experiences to offset this bad taste I'd say.

On one hand, learning your class/spec is part of the game. That being said, there is naivety and ignorance all around (note I did not say stupidity). I started playing in Wrath and I can honestly say I was still learning my class when I first stepped foot into Naxx. Luckily, I met some people while leveling and they were also part of my first raid experience and they were helpful and this contributed to me learning as well as enjoying the game. If my first encounter with others was something like what the post described and continued that way I more than likely would not still be playing.
    Now that I know the game, I too have my moments of irritation when I come across new people. More often than not I tend to ask them to change what they are doing, such as turning off growl. There have been dungeons where I ask multiple times. Usually, if they don't ask for help in how or just ignore me, I usually just "X" key sit during a dungeon boss fight until the pet dies. I still won't go off on the person or kick them for it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Not everyone knows everything about the game. She went to your little community to post a topic, you should be a decent person and respond back and inform her as of how to turn growl off and also be helpful and suggest which pet types should be used for pvp, pve and solo content or at least point her to hunter section on wow head, mmo champ or even icey veins. No reason to be salty 24/7, we're all just trying to play a game after all and have some fun.

This is why new players should not be able to boost characters and why an improved and much harder version of proving grounds should be implemented.

You're clearly not "speechless" if you opted to start a thread on MMO-champion to laugh at the person.

How much of a detestable person are you, OP?

I realise I will probably get an infraction for saying that but it needs to be said. How low do you have to go to attack and single out someone who is clearly so vulnerable? You have plenty of players out there who are bad, unwilling to learn, and proud of it yet you go after someone who had the sheer gall to not automatically understand WoW's obscure and counter-intuitive pet mechanics. Pet specs and the Growl mechanic are NOT explicitly explained to the player and are very easily missed, especially if you haven't done a dungeon before. Yes, when you tame a Turtle it is automatically Tenacity, Growl is automatically on and it is not on the pet bar in Legion because of laziness and cluelessness from the class developers (add this to the pile of "things players have warned them about repeatedly only to be ignored). It takes about 10 fucking seconds to say to the player "Open the spellbook, go to the "Pet" tab at the bottom, and right click "Growl" so the glowing outline goes away". It's certainly shorter than the time it takes to repeatedly berate the player and then initiate a votekick.

Uh, no, nothing she said implies she has a 110 Hunter. That's an extreme stretch which I'm guess is based on "I haven't been able to do it on my 110 Hunter.", which could easily and much more likely be referring to the Hunter she was playing in that dungeon. And once again, you are demonstrating an utter lack of empathy by assuming that out-of-the-way mechanics that are obvious to you, someone who is experienced with the class, are also obvious to someone who isn't. I thought I was the one to have an empathy problem, having autism, but it looks like you have me beat. It's one thing to judge another player for not understanding the pet mechanics automatically but it's a whole different league of shittiness to take their post and repost it to a forums while saying "roll up and see the freak!". What exactly are you hoping to gain with this post? Everyone to pat you on the back and say "Good going, @gaymer77, you really showed that random new player! Three cheers for @gaymer77!"? I'm very happy most of the responses are calling you out on this and I'm proud to contribute to that. Shame on the people who opted to reinforce their superiority complexes over this. Speaking of which:

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Oof....so much wrong with almost every aspect of this situation:

1) Dungeons are not required for anything.
    2) Group with random people, get random results.
    3) Made it to 110 without figuring out how pets work, or without the game explaining it.
    4) Triggered by rude people on the internet? Really? It's the freakin internet, what did you expect?
    5) Everyone is not required to like you, hold your hand, teach you your class, or even be polite.
    6) Allowed a single experience to ruin everything. Life is not all rainbows and sunshine. Try again, maybe?

I'm REALLY not trying to sound harsh here, but there are a lot of flawed expectations going on. And when those expectations weren't met perfectly, apparently everything falls apart. There are PLENTY of easy solutions to the "problems" this hunter is having. She should check with her guild, her friends, and it sounds like the facebook page she's part of. Hopefully people who are actually inclined to be helpful to her will sort things out.

- - - Updated - - -

But to make an attempt to be constructive, I'll answer my own list:

1) Try again.
    2) Try again.
    3) Research your class. Actually open your spellbook and look at the pet tab. Read the tooltips.
    4) Grow a thicker skin, or stop going into public spaces online.
    5) Try again. See #4
    6) Try again.

Mostly realize that people are not always going to be super friendly, or have the time, effort, willpower, or patience to be nice to you for no reason when you're actually wasting their time by being bad at your class. Toughen up. Learn to play. Ask your guild and friends for advice and help on getting better. Maybe run dungeons with them instead of the general public(who you should already know are generally indifferent to you and have no reason to be otherwise).

And most of all, recognize that even if you do everything right, there will STILL be groups of people who treat you exactly like they did. Because quite honestly, some people are just a-holes. That's THEIR problem, not yours, and you're probably better off not associating with them anyway.
    What ridiculous nonsense. Like I said above, this shit might apply if you were talking about a new player who was confident in their ignorance, unwilling to learn, and hostile to any feedback or criticism. But that's not what you're dealing with. You are dealing with a relatively new player who has never done a dungeon before and thus has never been exposed to the pet specs and the ridiculousness of Growl. Instead of having people verbally attack her and kick her from the group, people like OP reposting her experience to gloat at her and people like you posting such sanctimonious drivel in a feeble attempt to give a life lesson, you know what would have fixed this? "Open the spellbook, go to the "Pet" tab at the bottom, and right click "Growl" so the glowing outline goes away". One sentence and that's it. The dungeon goes fine, she learns an important mechanic that's not ever otherwise really explained to the player, and no one remembers the incident. No bad experiences, no facebook post, and no gloating on MMO-champion. Throw in a "google icy veins bm hunter" too for good measure if you are so concerned about her researching the class.

God fucking forbid someone feels shitty and wants to express it to friends after having such a bad experience. Being singled out and ridiculed sucks, no matter your expectations; especially when you're new to something. The real problem here is the people who opted to be vindictive assholes, not the victim here. Yeah, she should lower her expectations. But you can't act like she is in the wrong for letting off steam over being treated like shit. You're saying "yeah, online anonymous people are shitty, everyone knows that"; of course that's true, but that doesn't invalidate being mad about that.

And finally: what a ridiculous assertion your first point is. It's an MMO and dungeons are still central to progression. They are absolutely required if you want to get anywhere. They are arguably the whole point of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Triggered there “ptsd”, ya I’m sure.
    Uhh, yeah. Some people actually have mental illnesses. Shocker, I know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    This is why new players should not be able to boost characters and why an improved and much harder version of proving grounds should be implemented.
    What a stupid point. Neither of those fixes the problem of Growl not being clear to new players. The point should be "Growl should be on the spellbar by default (LIKE IT USED TO BE) and the mechanics of both pet specs and Growl need to be clearly explained to new players in some way". How the hell would proving grounds reveal the Growl mechanic to new players? You literally have to do a dungeon first to find out.

For the record, I agree that they should bring back the silver proving ground requirement for heroic dungeons... but that would not have prevented this issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    What a stupid point. Neither of those fixes the problem of Growl not being clear to new players. The point should be "Growl should be on the spellbar by default (LIKE IT USED TO BE) and the mechanics of both pet specs and Growl need to be clearly explained to new players in some way". How the hell would proving grounds reveal the Growl mechanic to new players? You literally have to do a dungeon first to find out.

For the record, I agree that they should bring back the silver proving ground requirement for heroic dungeons... but that would not have prevented this issue at all.
    An improved version of PG could tell you little things like this if you're not told during leveling. Something that can be as annoying as growl sould be pointed out during leveling somwhow. Blizzard could do much better here. This has been an issue since... always.
    I agree though, it's odd that it's not on the bar by default.