Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    Uhh, yeah. Some people actually have mental illnesses. Shocker, I know.
    Some people do I’m not contesting that, but I don’t believe for a second this person has ptsd because they were bullied and it was triggered by some one being mean to them in wow and then they posted about it on Facebook.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're clearly not "speechless" if you opted to start a thread on MMO-champion to laugh at the person.

How much of a detestable person are you, OP?

I realise I will probably get an infraction for saying that but it needs to be said. How low do you have to go to attack and single out someone who is clearly so vulnerable? You have plenty of players out there who are bad, unwilling to learn, and proud of it yet you go after someone who had the sheer gall to not automatically understand WoW's obscure and counter-intuitive pet mechanics. Pet specs and the Growl mechanic are NOT explicitly explained to the player and are very easily missed, especially if you haven't done a dungeon before. Yes, when you tame a Turtle it is automatically Tenacity, Growl is automatically on and it is not on the pet bar in Legion because of laziness and cluelessness from the class developers (add this to the pile of "things players have warned them about repeatedly only to be ignored). It takes about 10 fucking seconds to say to the player "Open the spellbook, go to the "Pet" tab at the bottom, and right click "Growl" so the glowing outline goes away". It's certainly shorter than the time it takes to repeatedly berate the player and then initiate a votekick.

Uh, no, nothing she said implies she has a 110 Hunter. That's an extreme stretch which I'm guess is based on "I haven't been able to do it on my 110 Hunter.", which could easily and much more likely be referring to the Hunter she was playing in that dungeon. And once again, you are demonstrating an utter lack of empathy by assuming that out-of-the-way mechanics that are obvious to you, someone who is experienced with the class, are also obvious to someone who isn't. I thought I was the one to have an empathy problem, having autism, but it looks like you have me beat. It's one thing to judge another player for not understanding the pet mechanics automatically but it's a whole different league of shittiness to take their post and repost it to a forums while saying "roll up and see the freak!". What exactly are you hoping to gain with this post? Everyone to pat you on the back and say "Good going, @gaymer77, you really showed that random new player! Three cheers for @gaymer77!"? I'm very happy most of the responses are calling you out on this and I'm proud to contribute to that. Shame on the people who opted to reinforce their superiority complexes over this. Speaking of which:
    The fact that she has another 110 and it happens to be a hunter was stated by her in follow up posts in the initial post she made. She's NOT a new player. She's a freakin noobish idiot who doesn't understand basic functions of the hunter class which she already has a 110 of. She doesn't understand about growl. She doesn't understand about pet agro. She doesn't understand about pet specs. Hell she doesn't even know that not all the pet spells aren't automatically on the pet toolbar which means if she does have a ferocity pet she does't have heart of the phoenix on her bars.

Just think, the group passed up the perfect opportunity to actually help out a player that so many bitch and whine about on forums. I guess actually helping is much to ask from the whiners.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I can confirm, pet spells aren't put on toolbar anymore. If you respec them or tame a new one it's even empty.

And growl and other "auto-cast" toggles can't be controlled via the normal action bar either, so you either gotta open spellbook or add it on pet bar, and that's not communicated in game at all.

This looks more like a case of someone using a boost and not knowing how to do anything with their class than anything to do with hunters.

And even if she got to 110 the old fashioned way....it's pretty easy to get to 110 and never need to learn much about how aggro or your pet works, everything is pretty auto-pilot for you.

Hopefully she joins one of those family friendly guilds who will help her learn the game, god knows random people in this game never will.
    Last edited by Vlaid; 2018-03-19 at 08:02 PM.

I feel so badly for that person. Growl usually isn't put onto the pet bar by default. A new player probably has no idea that it even EXISTS, let alone what it does, and let alone understanding why it needs to be turned off in your first ever dungeon run. The game does nothing to teach you any of this. It does nothing even to teach you about pet specs, or that when you finally get around to changing a pet's spec, the same abilities won't show up on the bar, EVEN IF the pet still has those abilities.

My girlfriend semi-recently began playing WoW, having virtually no background in video games of any kind, and it became very obvious very quickly that hunter is NOT the class for someone in that sort of situation. Pet management is already an added strain, plus the way that it's handled on hunter tends to be very difficult for new and inexperienced players.

If you come across a person like the one described by OP, please whisper them with specific and gentle instructions. They've probably never been taught - not by any other player, and certainly not by the game.

What ridiculous nonsense. Like I said above, this shit might apply if you were talking about a new player who was confident in their ignorance, unwilling to learn, and hostile to any feedback or criticism. But that's not what you're dealing with. You are dealing with a relatively new player who has never done a dungeon before and thus has never been exposed to the pet specs and the ridiculousness of Growl. Instead of having people verbally attack her and kick her from the group, people like OP reposting her experience to gloat at her and people like you posting such sanctimonious drivel in a feeble attempt to give a life lesson, you know what would have fixed this? "Open the spellbook, go to the "Pet" tab at the bottom, and right click "Growl" so the glowing outline goes away". One sentence and that's it. The dungeon goes fine, she learns an important mechanic that's not ever otherwise really explained to the player, and no one remembers the incident. No bad experiences, no facebook post, and no gloating on MMO-champion. Throw in a "google icy veins bm hunter" too for good measure if you are so concerned about her researching the class.

God fucking forbid someone feels shitty and wants to express it to friends after having such a bad experience. Being singled out and ridiculed sucks, no matter your expectations; especially when you're new to something. The real problem here is the people who opted to be vindictive assholes, not the victim here. Yeah, she should lower her expectations. But you can't act like she is in the wrong for letting off steam over being treated like shit. You're saying "yeah, online anonymous people are shitty, everyone knows that"; of course that's true, but that doesn't invalidate being mad about that.

And finally: what a ridiculous assertion your first point is. It's an MMO and dungeons are still central to progression. They are absolutely required if you want to get anywhere. They are arguably the whole point of the game.
    Haha! Wow...ok.

My entire post can be summed up as this: Random people are random.

If she didn't want to risk being treated poorly by strangers, then that's what guildies and friends are for. She didn't do that, and risked dealing with strangers. The result? She had a bad experience. That's not a reason to give up on the game. Just go back and vent to your friends and guildies, and ask them for help. That's what THEY'RE for.

Assuming and EXPECTING the general public(especially in a videogame) to be friendly and nice for no reason just isn't being realistic. It's not fair, but it's how things are.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I should clarify on this matter. She said a few comments down that this was NOT her first hunter. It was a lower level alt on a different server and that she had other 110s including a 110 hunter (not boosted). The fact that she has another hunter at max level and doesn't even grasp how pets have specs or spellbooks is what annoys the fuck out of me and several other people in that post she made AND the people that were in her group.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Maybe I should clarify on this matter. She said a few comments down that this was NOT her first hunter. It was a lower level alt on a different server and that she had other 110s including a 110 hunter (not boosted). The fact that she has another hunter at max level and doesn't even grasp how pets have specs or spellbooks is what annoys the fuck out of me and several other people in that post she made AND the people that were in her group.
    While a bit unusual at that point, still nothing to get upset about. Just tell her how to do it and proceed with the dungeon, that's really all there should've been to it.

Deleted
    People really should be held responsible for learning the basics of their class before wasting the time of others. Not to mention that if something as small as this sends you into a "nervous breakdown" you really should not play video games with strangers who might trigger you and instead should focus on sorting your shit out. Of course in the age of the internet it's always easier to find a support group and throw a pity-party than do that

Ok, I'm an idiot, I learned things slow, but I have never been this bad... I really don't know how you could not have accidentally found these things across MULTIPLE characters.

I'm not a proponent of games beating you across the face on how to use what's pretty much basic knowledge, but I guess there needs to be more 'learn this shit pls'... Maybe I don't even remember if the lower levels tells you how to do this.

Also, excuse me for potentially being insensitive but...this triggered PTSD?

Quote Originally Posted by Twen View Post
    While a bit unusual at that point, still nothing to get upset about. Just tell her how to do it and proceed with the dungeon, that's really all there should've been to it.
    Also this. At least then if she complained, booting her would be her own fault for a) not learning and b) refusing to do so.

Edit: Initial shock gone; why is this about hunters as a class as opposed to just people being stupid...? Might as well have been a warlock...
    Last edited by Halyon; 2018-03-20 at 01:33 AM.

This is a Blizzard Activision made issue for allowing people to hit cap far too easily and not learn their class.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    This is a Blizzard Activision made issue for allowing people to hit cap far too easily and not learn their class.
    No, it isn't. You could level from now and until 5 years have passed and still be on the same skill level as a brick. Idiocy + stubborness is a powerful thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    This is why new players should not be able to boost characters and why an improved and much harder version of proving grounds should be implemented.
    Stuff doesn't have to be harder. But it clearly needs to be more instructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Stuff doesn't have to be harder. But it clearly needs to be more instructive.
    Well, not always. In the case of proving grounds, it really should be.

Well, not always. In the case of proving grounds, it really should be.
    Depends what kind of proving grounds it is... If it's for challenge, sure, make it hard. If it's for training and instruction...no, it doesn't need to be hard at all. It needs to teach you what you need to know.

The other players from her group probably didn't know that growl isn't on the pet bar by default or that pets have spellbooks either. A friend of mine that has been playing a DK and a warlock for months decided to try a vold elf hunter told me people kept pming him to disable growl but he didn't have it on his pet skillbar ( like the lady ) and how he kept calling the tanks noobs for losing aggroh to him lol.

Depends what kind of proving grounds it is... If it's for challenge, sure, make it hard. If it's for training and instruction...no, it doesn't need to be hard at all. It needs to teach you what you need to know.
    Yes but the last one we had was not enough.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    But I have heard rumors that coming BfA Growl will be removed and only the tank spec of a pet can actually pull aggro. Hopefully that will clear things up for new players. Especially if all newly tamed pets are placed in dps spec by default.
    Pets won't be able to swap specs in BfA. Every pet species has an assigned spec and stays in it. There is no longer a "dps tax" on Tenacity and Cunning pets, but all Ferocity pets have Bloodlust/Heroism baseline now, so you lose access to that by using, for example, a turtle or a bear. The new hunter in the OP would still be taunting left and right if she didn't open her spellbook and turn off Growl with that turtle.

Yes but the last one we had was not enough.
    Unrelated to the topic at hand.

Unrelated to the topic at hand.
    Not really. With PG, this person would never have been able to queue up at all.