Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    That is a long road between physics wouldn't allow it, and a person had a specific attitude about pedestrians and made much less of an effort to stop. Yes people have gone to prison for hitting pedestrians that shouldn't have been in the road.
    Which still isn't applicable to AI. AI will attempt to stop always (if properly sensored) so if a jaywalker is still hit like this incident, it's not the AIs fault unless the sensor was faulty

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And with those previous deaths, have you seen what you predict will happen? A dampening on autonomous vehicles? A rising uproar? A moratorium on their development? Or have you just seen more and more industry getting in on the tech and development?
    The only other death I believe happened a couple of years ago, but I think it was an engineer or something, it wasn't like this. This is just some person that got hit because well who knows what they were thinking.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Ah, so you were shitposting - fabulous (congrats?). Still irrelevant to the conversation - except that it was the pedestrians fault - entirely. - - - Updated - - - So you don't know what jaywalking is or what liability is, eh? Time to hit google for awhile.
    Your responses are exemplary of why the majority here in the US won't be using this shit.
    People jaywalk all the time. Most drivers already know this.
    That's why Liability always falls on the driver. It doesn't fucking matter how stupid a pedestrian is, jaywalking or not, pedestrians have the right-of-way. It's the law.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I know there is a difference between someone who understands because people are assholes, or idiots that it doesn't make them fair game to be hit, when a vehicle is specifically designed as are speed limits to allow stopping in the case of an emergency.
    I don't think you're understanding the point. We're talking about an incident where the vehicle couldn't stop, regardless of human driver or autonomous. The pedestrian jumped out in front, and there wasn't time for anyone to have stopped before they were hit.

Does that make sense? You can't engineer past physics.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Your responses are exemplary of why the majority here in the US won't be using this shit.
    That's why Liability always falls on the driver. It doesn't fucking matter how stupid a pedestrian is, jaywalking or not, pedestrians have the right-of-way. It's the law.
    Your idea of the law is skewed, and doesn't actually represent the right of way law at all. A driver does have the responsibility to avoid an accident, they do not have auto-liability nor does a pedestrian always have right of way.

Lol re being your aggressive, offensive driving self - I'm the same way. Interestingly enough, when they modeled autonomous driving awhile back (started to I mean - obviously they still do), it turned out that driving time efficiency during peak hours almost doubled because of all the dumb decisions most drivers make (not us, of course - but those slow dirt bags you mentioned).

So that's something to look forward to at least.
    Right. Something that enrages me is peoples reaction time. Light goes green, it takes two seconds for the first guy to put his foot on the gas, and he does so slowly... then it takes a second for the guy behind him to go... then the guy behind him waits for space to open up and go... like the light will go green and I'll be in a dead stop for 15 seconds because people are so slow to react. I don't get why its so hard for people.

I wouldn't mind if it was like Demolition Man, self driving cars for the majority of morons, but I could take full control with no restrictions any time I wanted. That could work out.

Deleted
    Those flying taxis from Dubai will become fully autonomous before normal cars do IMO - there is less obstacles in the air than on the road.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I guess that's why most/all major car manufacturers are developing autonomous vehicles, right? Because no one will be using this shit in the U.S.?

That's why Liability always falls on the driver. It doesn't fucking matter how stupid a pedestrian is, jaywalking or not, pedestrians have the right-of-way. It's the law.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I guess you really don't know the jaywalking law. Otherwise you wouldn't have just posted this utter bullshit. Jaywalkers are liable, not the driver - that's why it's called jaywalking. And why there is a law against it.

Unless you have examples of what you're spouting.

10+ Year Old Account
    You really can't compensate someone they loved being killed. I personally hope it's put on hold indefinitely. Until it's clearly understood what went wrong why, and how to prevent it.
    Of course you can't really compensate such a loss but a compensation nonetheless still helps the family with a nice funeral and handling of paperworks.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Which still isn't applicable to AI. AI will attempt to stop always (if properly sensored) so if a jaywalker is still hit like this incident, it's not the AIs fault unless the sensor was faulty
    Yes, it is the A.I's fault, because the technology in the vehicle can account for more things than your two eyeballs Crissi, and it also doesn't have muscles and reflexes limited in the way that yours would be, since we at talking about physics, might as well throw in biology.

You see when you have the power then you are supposed to have the responsibility to act, to do better than someone else, regardless whether or not they could. Of course accidents happen, that isn't the point.

Your ass can still end up in jail, if you accidentally hit some idiot who darted in traffic if you were speeding to fast to be prepared to stop. This is why some neighborhoods have reduced speeds.

That still doesn't mean it's easy to stop, but if you aren't speeding yourself, and you obey traffic laws in general where human beings could or would be possibly able to dart in traffic, you should be able to stop.

That's physics too.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Right. Something that enrages me is peoples reaction time. Light goes green, it takes two seconds for the first guy to put his foot on the gas, and he does so slowly... then it takes a second for the guy behind him to go... then the guy behind him waits for space to open up and go... like the light will go green and I'll be in a dead stop for 15 seconds because people are so slow to react. I don't get why its so hard for people.

I wouldn't mind if it was like Demolition Man, self driving cars for the majority of morons, but I could take full control with no restrictions any time I wanted. That could work out.
    That's what I would want - autonomous but with the ability to take control if I wanted. I have a ridiculous commute each day - 3+ hours, and I would pay a LOT for my vehicle to drive itself so I can just read/nap/relax instead of dealing with idiots.

I mean - STOP signs. Right? You're with me on that.

That still doesn't mean it's easy to stop, but if you aren't speeding yourself, and you obey traffic laws in general where human beings could or would be possibly able to dart in traffic, you should be able to stop.

That's physics too.
    If you were required to be able to stop for a 2ft dart in front, no car would be allowed to go past roughly 10 miles an hour. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by lummiuster View Post
    I fault intolerant programmed machine capable of killing
    You mean, people?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you're understanding the point. We're talking about an incident where the vehicle couldn't stop, regardless of human driver or autonomous. The pedestrian jumped out in front, and there wasn't time for anyone to have stopped before they were hit.

Does that make sense? You can't engineer past physics.
    No we aren't what we are talking about is a woman who was struck by a Driverless Uber, this Uber failed and saying well people hit each other all the time and kill one another is a pretty terrible argument that you would be having a long with 4 other people

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it is the A.I's fault, because the technology in the vehicle can account for more things than your two eyeballs Crissi, and it also doesn't have muscles and reflexes limited in the way that yours would be, since we at talking about physics, might as well throw in biology.

This is where you are departing from reality, and unless you are kidding, your normally practical posts should just be ignored in this case. You are still not understanding that some obstacles can't be stopped for in time - NO MATTER WHAT. Because physics won't allow for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Of course you can't really compensate such a loss but a compensation nonetheless still helps the family with a nice funeral and handling of paperworks.
    Depends on the situation, if the pedestrian was at fault they own her family nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you know what you're talking about dude. You're making up scenarios we aren't talking about and just creating a word salad.

Again, if a person jumps out within stopping distance, it's no ones fault but the person. No one is saying the car shouldn't try and stop. Begeebus

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    No we aren't what we are talking about is a woman who was struck by a Driverless Uber, this Uber failed and saying well people hit each other all the time and kill one another is a pretty terrible argument that you would be having a long with 4 other people
    And you still don't understand that you're losing that argument. You're trying to make a case for people breaking the law and getting away with it. Won't happen. Jaywalking is against the law. If you jaywalk in front of car, the driver should try and stop, but if they couldn't, it's the pedestrians fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    If you were required to be able to stop for a 2ft dart in front, no car would be allowed to go past roughly 10 miles an hour. Period.
    Not exactly, you can also use your eyeballs on the road and anticipate your environment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not exactly, you can also use your eyeballs on the road and anticipate your environment.
    And if a small kid darts out between 2 parked cars and you couldn't see the kid?