(30% of the reason I watched Black Panther was so I could jump into these discussions, kukukuku.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    it's nice to have an exceptional black lead actor where their race isn't being used as a pivotal part of their character as a lot of films do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This is exactly what the plot of the film is based on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    I didn't get that at all, maybe if you look for these things that's what you get
    Fencers is right, the whole motivation of the villain was to arm BLACK people around the world with weapons to fight their oppressors. This is as opposed to what BP's girlfriend wanted, which was to assist other countries by offering them tech/weapons/medicine..

But it's not like the villain did that because the movie was about black people, it's because he grew up in the ghetto, his dad was sent out of paradise into the real world, and was killed by his brother (without a funeral or anything) because his dad was trying to help oppressed black people (which was legit in that time period even moreso than today). Then the villain went around the world seeing oppression when he was in the military.

And it was actually true that Wakanda was living like a city of gold while everyone else suffered. Wakanda happened to be the nation where vibranium was literally limitless, and all the other black people had to migrate and be sold as slaves just because they were born a bit further away. Totally not fair.

That's why when I read other people's reviews, I completely agreed with them saying the villain was amazing. It's not just that he was charismatic and not evil4evil, but his cause and reasoning was 100% legit.

But I don't think all that is because the movie is black, it just happens to be what the villain (and heroes) backgrounds were. No one complains about spiderman being a science nerd every origin story he goes through. It's just the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    Difficult to agree or disagree with you when we have very different ways of rating films. That being said, you probably liked it more than I did.
    I'm pretty consistent. Plot, story, [comedy, action, adventure, seriousness]* originality, predictable, any overused themes, believability, and movie flaws are generally what I use to decide a movie's rating.

*Brackets are depending on what the movie is going for. I'm not gonna penalize Interstellar because there are no gunfight scenes or car chases.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There are many articles, books and film courses on this should you wish to delve.
    Maybe I will.

Tomb Raider 6/10
    Wanted to like this movie more than I did. I didn't think it was as bad as some critics say.
    The script and Vikander's acting could have been loads better however. (Strange...she bulked up for the role but then phones in her lines it seems to me)

Black Panther 7/10

Was a fun movie. Definitely middle of the pack for the Marvel movies. Killmonger is probably one of my favorite villains so far. I was almost hoping for a redemption at the end.

Alien Covenant - 7/10: I'm being mighty generous with this score, because I REALLY enjoyed how it ended. The fight scenes and overall visuals were excellent, but there was just some bad casting on the part of some of these folks, and poor character / story development. Some of the plot points were absurd as well , namely the captain being about as gullible as one could possibly expect . A few elements of the movie made me think I should have watched Prometheus again just before this.

Anyhow, good flick, but not without its weak points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Annihilation - 7/10

A strange but interesting film with some good thrills and horror elements. The performances were a bit hollow but I think the film is worth rewatching. It stays with you afterwards.

Veronica (Netflix) - 5/10

Maybe I've just watched too many horror films but this one started to bore me about halfway through. I fast-forwarded through parts so I could get to bed. Not a terrible film, though.

Jumanji (2017) - 0/10

I remember enjoying the first film but I had to turn this one off about 20 mins in. That style of loud, obnoxious humor is incredibly grating.
    Last edited by Daws001; 2018-03-20 at 01:23 AM.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daws001 View Post
    Annihilation - 7/10

A strange but interesting film with some good thrills and horror elements. The performances were a bit hollow but I think the film is worth rewatching. It stays with you afterwards.
    I wish it had started with a bit more pop and skipped the interrogation scenes. I hate it when movies set up the "So let me tell you a story...." it instantly throws out any potential for tension, when you know the lead survives (they normally do anyway but you know how they end up) some of the best parts of annihilation were quite intense. Wasted potential needed more bear scenes

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    I wish it had started with a bit more pop and skipped the interrogation scenes. I hate it when movies set up the "So let me tell you a story...." it instantly throws out any potential for tension, when you know the lead survives (they normally do anyway but you know how they end up) some of the best parts of annihilation were quite intense. Wasted potential needed more bear scenes
    Yes, but did she really survive it?

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Annihilation

Was good..... until the ending happened.

Fucking dumb ass ending killed the movie.

Black Panther. 6/10. One of the most forgettable Marvel movies I've seen. Black Panther in Civil War was amazing and bad ass. In his own movie? Not so much.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 2/10
    Well it's robably the worst of all the Marvel movies, and I've already found all of them unbearable of late.
    I actually liked the first one. But it's another case where they expect you to care, rather than try and make you do so.
    It was barely even a movie. Before the last 20-30 minutes I'm not sure I'd have even considered it one.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Yes, but did she really survive it?
    How do you spoiler tag so I can answer

How do you spoiler tag so I can answer
    [.spoiler][/spoiler.]

Remove the full stops.

7+ Year Old Account
    [.spoiler][/spoiler.]

Remove the full stops.
    Cheers,

Yeah I think she survives, however with new shiny DNA which gives her a new tattoo. Her husband however was a mimic of her now dead husband, his beard was gone like he was reborn, and his personality was different. Plus we see the actual one die with the grenade.

My interpretation was that when she got to the meteorite site at the lighthouse and her blood was mixed with the alien lifeform it absorbed her self destructive tendencies (cheating on her husband) and destroyed itself with the flame from the grenade. However it had already achieved its goal of changing and had been passed onto humans where it will carry on through the wife/husband being together and had created something new.

Cheers,

Yeah I think she survives, however with new shiny DNA which gives her a new tattoo. Her husband however was a mimic of her now dead husband, his beard was gone like he was reborn, and his personality was different. Plus we see the actual one die with the grenade.

My interpretation was that when she got to the meteorite site at the lighthouse and her blood was mixed with the alien lifeform it absorbed her self destructive tendencies (cheating on her husband) and destroyed itself with the flame from the grenade. However it had already achieved its goal of changing and had been passed onto humans where it will carry on through the wife/husband being together and had created something new.
    I liked the alternate ending that was taken out in favour of the one we got because of the test screening, where the test audience disliked it.

In the Alternate ending lots of meteorites start falling from the sky

7+ Year Old Account
    I liked the alternate ending that was taken out in favour of the one we got because of the test screening, where the test audience disliked it.

Yeah there was lots of fuckery with the studio and annihilation. They also ended up airing it on netflix because they were worried it was "Too smart" for movie goer's

That ending seems kind of lame to me. I mean, what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    That ending seems kind of lame to me. I mean, what's the point?
    Read the article.
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/26/1...deleted-scenes

That was a better ending...thanks for posting that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Annihilation: The latest version of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Black Panther - 6/10
    I don't get the massive hype really. Apart from costume design there really isn't anything special about the movie. The story is kinda bland and the whole immigration, black people trouble is hilariously boring. Killmonger could be a likable villain, but at the same time he just sounds like a modern black rapper or something. Wakanda is super advanced, but the biggest 'fight' is 20v20 with sticks and stones pretty much. There is pretty much no reference to anything that happened before, NY fighting aliens, Ultron,
    I feel the same the film is massively OVERHYPED by SJW claiming its a black movement or some bs like that plus all the FIRST black superhero movie (my ass...)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Against Many View Post
    Moonlight
    -11/10 It’s literally, yeah, literally painful.
    So true and it stole La La Lands deserved Oscar!

Mute: 0/10. As I read somewhere MUTE is the setting you should watch this film on (which is sadly true)
    Last edited by mmoc25fb373f9a; 2018-03-20 at 10:46 PM.