Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsse View Post
    Having read a few pages of this Threat one can conclude that people read the Topic and became outraged. If you read the articles there's barely any information given to what happened in the incident. Only that a self driving car hit a pedestrian and that pedestrian later died in the hospital.

Things to take away from this:

- People run over other people all the time.

- You don't stop 2 tons of Metal instantly no matter how quickly you react, even if the one reacting is a computer system. Going faster triples stopping distance, even a car going 5kph will have a stopping distance.

- When the sensory data is revealed you can ascertain if the car made a mistake, or if the accident was unavoidable. Not before.
    Well, you see, thats not the way things work in America. In America, there is always someone at fault and the guilty party must pay and pay dearly!! /sarcasm

A bit more information has come to light. The Chief of Police said Uber ‘likely’ not at fault in deadly self-driving car crash.

http://fortune.com/2018/03/19/uber-s...ing-car-crash/

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/1...h-fault-police

Apparently she came out at the last moment, and cameras confirm that there was little the car or backup driver could have done. It's a shame that Uber needed to halt the progress of testing their cars due to this person's inability to check both ways before crossing.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    A bit more information has come to light. The Chief of Police said Uber ‘likely’ not at fault in deadly self-driving car crash.

Apparently she came out at the last moment, and cameras confirm that there was little the car or backup driver could have done. It's a shame that Uber needed to halt the progress of testing their cars due to this person's inability to check both ways before crossing.
    Thats why we cant have nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    OMG - you are so cute! Did it ever occur to you that those accidents were the people's faults? Or are you so blinded by ignorance that you only see what you want? Again, if you're confused about reality, just ask - we can try and explain the real world to you.
    I'm sure that every investigation is going to be "cute" to you. Hundreds of them...and no liability. Because of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    1, The driverless cars are still safer than human drivers, if you minimize human interaction with them, they become even safer.
    That can't be proven until there are millions of them on the road.

The best way for this sort of thing to be marketed...the disabled, the elderly these are the people that need it.

PSA - Don't click that Fortune link if you have uBlock Origin installed.

Mother of god, worst fallback formatting I have ever seen in my life, and I have built production websites from the ground up using only Notepad with IE 7 for testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The police chief of Tempe, Arizona, where a woman was struck and killed by one of Uber’s self-driving cars Sunday, says the ride-sharing company is likely not at fault for the accident, following a preliminary investigation.

I wonder how many people were killed by negligent, intoxicated (on alcohol or otherwise) or reckless drivers in the same amount of time self driving cars (which are still in their infancy and not even close to perfect yet) have been on the road.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm sure that every investigation is going to be "cute" to you. Hundreds of them...and no liability. Because of money. That can't be proven until there are millions of them on the road.
    Or because . . . people are idiots and jump out in front of cars without looking. Your choice: Mass Conspiracy to trick Shadowferal into think Autonomous Vehicles are safe, or people are idiots (hint: they are kind of linked, see if you can figure it out!).

Still so adorable that you've dropped all your useless arguments and just keep on truckin' with new bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    PSA - Don't click that Fortune link if you have uBlock Origin installed.

Mother of god, worst fallback formatting I have ever seen in my life, and I have built production websites from the ground up using only Notepad with IE 7 for testing.
    I have uBlock Origin, didn't seem to be bad for me? It's the video on top, then a fairly standard paragraph block of text.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

You're just being stupid now at this point.

Death Brings Unanswered Questions, Rattles the Self-Driving Future

As in so many other places in the Sun Belt, traffic engineers had built this road in Tempe with cars foremost in mind. Mill Avenue stretches five full lanes across at the point where she attempted to cross: two for vehicles turning left at the upcoming intersection with Curry Road, two for vehicles traveling straight, and a right-turn lane at the far side. Wide roadways like this are common sights in Arizona, a state with the fourth-highest rate of pedestrian fatalities in the country.
    Paths crisscross a shrub-covered island that separates the northbound lanes of Mill Avenue from the southbound ones. A sign deters pedestrians from crossing there, instead instructing them to use the crosswalk at the intersection ahead. But depending on exactly where Elaine Herzberg attempted to cross—and police haven’t released precise information on the point of impact yet—that crosswalk was at least several dozen feet away, and perhaps several hundred.

“This tragedy makes clear that autonomous-vehicle technology has a long way to go before it is truly safe for all who share America’s roads.”
    – Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.)

There is an ongoing investigation of a fender bender in Las Vegas involving a human-driven delivery truck and an autonomous shuttle operated by Navya. Previously, the NTSB investigated a May 2016 crash in Williston, Florida, that claimed the life of Joshua Brown, a 40-year-old Ohio resident who had the Autopilot feature in his Tesla Model S engaged at the time he crashed into the side of a tractor-trailer that crossed the two-lane highway on which he was traveling.

If the first death attributed to a fully self-driving system was an eventuality the broader industry knew, with some resignation, would one day come, it was an awakening for representatives in Congress who have been mulling legislation, now in the Senate, called the AV START [American Vision for Safer Transportation through Advancement of Revolutionary Technologies] Act. Many safety advocates believe the legislation does nothing more than provide further shelter for an emboldened industry to do as it pleases.

There's another thought: Using self-driving vehicles for Dept of Corrections.

You're just being stupid now at this point.
    What, exactly, do you think the article you posted demonstrates? Because other than the laughable double standard of declaring the technology unsafe and demanding immediate action after a single fatality, despite the 37,461 fatalities in the US in 2016 (nearly 6000 of which were pedestrians), I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    What, exactly, do you think the article you posted demonstrates? Because other than the laughable double standard of declaring the technology unsafe and demanding immediate action after a single fatality, despite the 37,461 fatalities in the US in 2016 (nearly 6000 of which were pedestrians), I'm having a hard time figuring it out.
    Someone change the thread title to "Jaywalking pedestrian wasn't so lucky this time".
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I think the best part of the article being posted by him is that it explicitly states that Arizona has a huge problem with pedestrians getting killed by jaywalking and that there's a sign saying don't do that, go to the designated crosswalks.

Well, lets just say I'm glad I vote and participate in elections.

10+ Year Old Account

They got a useful data point.

Well, lets just say I'm glad I vote and participate in elections.
    So in response to questions about what the hell you're trying to say, you give us another statement utterly devoid of meaning and/or context. You're pretty good at this.

So in response to questions about what the hell you're trying to say, you give us another statement utterly devoid of meaning and/or context. You're pretty good at this.
    And you've always been good at never understanding posts that oppose your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8263921.html

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-arizona-tempe

Looks like the self driving car fantasy is crashing into reality.

Now there will be more due dates for 'the future' pushed back, and promises downscaled.

The human takeover fudge they have in this case clearly is worse than an actual driver because of they wont have any feeling for the setting which leads to slower reactions in emergency situations. A slower response than a human that is driving the whole time is just a worse outcome.

Hope Uber get sued hard.
    Reviewing the footage, it potentially shows that she moved in front of it or "walked" into it's pathway compared it being accidental. So even with a driver, with full control it would have been an accident. Even then someone was actually in the car.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...f-driving-uber

You're a few days behind ^^.
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2018-03-21 at 12:33 AM.

It was the pedestrian's fault and it's not like human-controlled cars never kill 3000+ people a day or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    It was the pedestrian's fault and it's not like human-controlled cars never kill 3000+ people a day or anything.
    A meaningless stat since it needs to be compared to a similar count of self-driving cars on the road. And since there are over 260 million cars today on the road, I guess those that really want self-driving vehicles will embrace that stat for as long as it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Someone change the thread title to "Jaywalking pedestrian wasn't so lucky this time".
    I'd prefer. "Idiot walks in front of moving car. Laws of physics prevail again."