Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So the "Gamergate" crowd is in here with 32 pages of mouth frothing outrage at the mention of Anita Sarkeesian, who makes videos on Youtube.

Meanwhile the President of the United States blames video games for violence and calls for restrictions on them. Thread has petered out at 6 pages.

Fucking kek.
    You don't have to be gamergate to see what Anita Sarkeesian is and hate her appropriately. Far from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Hm let´s see i´m saying that it´s indifferent what gender the Mc has and you´re trying to force your idea that it´s bad if the MC is male because no woman ever would be playing a game with a male MC...

Still don´t get what i´m saying?
    Yes; you're positing something that makes no material difference if it is true or false, making your outrage at people who think diversity is a good thing more a stalking horse out of spite than an actually legitimate position.

And please nobody says it´s bad to make female MCs but you on the othe rhand say it´s totally bad to make male MCs...
    Nobody has said that male protagonists are a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrysis View Post
    A lot of those you've mentioned are NPCs, not player characters. When it comes to Warcraft, Blizzard follows a fairly strict sexual dimorphism when it comes to player characters. Males are bigger and brawnier than females, and females have noticeable breasts. Period. When someone suggested that when making an allied Sethrak race that the females be larger to mirror actual snakes, a couple of the guys in the thread lost their shit..
    having breast doesn't make something Sexualized though, something like alexstra or old sylvanas was sexualized something like a female dwarf look at say moria or a female cow look at that magatha was not portrayed in the same way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Art is art and it shouldn't be censored.

I'm not saying to not critique it, I'm saying that producers of art shouldn't be forced by anyone to change their vision.
    they are not forced by any one they change it because they want to rather that be because they feel they don't like it or that it will give them bad publicity doesn't change the fact that they change it because they want to.

This thread reminds me of EXACTLY what I said in the "is the "offended situation" growing out of control?" thread.

40 friggin pages about ONE person with her own opinion going to visit a random Video Game studio. 40 friggin pages of people arguing about stupid shit like "Femnazis", "Snowflakes", ect... all because ONE person visited a gaming studio!?

This is why there's an absolute false narative about "Triggered/Offended people growing out of control" - because people like the OP create stupid threads about some obscure doink he doesn't like going to visit somewhere, and now we have 40 pages of people losing their shit creating and casting ridiculous giant net-social beliefs based on ONE PERSON IN A VIDEO VISITING BIOWARE!

/sigh! >_<

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Because self-censorship due to fear of having your life ruined by the SJW mob is not censorship.

no its not, you changing something because you don't think people will like it is not censorship at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    This thread reminds me of EXACTLY what I said in the "is the "offended situation" growing out of control?" thread.

40 friggin pages about ONE person with her own opinion going to visit a random Video Game studio. 40 friggin pages of people arguing about stupid shit like "Femnazis", "Snowflakes", ect... all because ONE person visited a gaming studio!?

This is why there's an absolute false narative about "Triggered/Offended people growing out of control" - because people like the OP create stupid threads about some obscure doink he doesn't like going to visit somewhere, and now we have 40 pages of people losing their shit creating and casting ridiculous giant net-social beliefs based on ONE PERSON IN A VIDEO VISITING BIOWARE!

/sigh! >_<
    Its someone with a bad opinion though. Thats what has people worried, not offended. Maybe you should try to see the forest for the trees here man.

/sigh! >_<
    How many pages do we have because people don't like Trump and he can't stop lying?

Good comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    If it makes no difference why change it though? See how that works now?
    I mean the whole concept is racism on the part of the people trying to change things. Look at Black Panther. People claiming that with BP black people finally have someone to relate to are inherently racist saying they can't somehow relate to a white character simply on the color of their skin.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yes; you're positing something that makes no material difference if it is true or false, making your outrage at people who think diversity is a good thing more a stalking horse out of spite than an actually legitimate position.

Nobody has said that male protagonists are a bad thing.
    Yeah shure all the shit like "But think of the female players which one of them will ever play games when they´re forced to play with male MCs"... doesn´t comes to mind hm?

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    How many pages do we have because people don't like Trump and he can't stop lying?

Good comparison.
    Yes, you're so right - the complaining about the leader of the free world who's blatantly corrupt, who's most likely going to be imprisoned for several crimes, who is completely destroying our entire democratic process and infrastructure which will take decades to fix is exactly the same comparison to some random youtube doink visiting Bioware. =/

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    I mean the whole concept is racism on the part of the people trying to change things. Look at Black Panther. People claiming that with BP black people finally have someone to relate to are inherently racist saying they can't somehow relate to a white character simply on the color of their skin.
    Someone call this guy an ambulance!

I mean, I have to assume with so much word twisting that your spine is in a critical state at this point.

Yes, you're so right - the complaining about the leader of the free world who's blatantly corrupt, who's most likely going to be imprisoned for several crimes, who is completely destroying our entire democratic process and infrastructure which will take decades to fix is exactly the same comparison to some random youtube doink visiting Bioware. =/
    We may have hit peak false equivalency!

That's not what they're saying. In practical terms, minorities have always been able to relate to white male protagonists because we don't really have much of a choice most of the time, the idea is that movies like Black Panther are telling the rest of us that our demands as consumers matter, and we have the clout and the influence to be worth being catered to, and aren't just a peripheral demographic.

/sigh! >_<
    This is primarily a gaming forum, and to many gamers Sakeesian is the anti-christ. She is not just one person, she is the figure head for a noisy group of people who want to restrict artists and programmers freedoms when creating games. Whether you agree with her opinions or not, that is what she is doing. She is a red flag to a bull wherever she goes, so why anyone let alone a struggling game studio would want her anywhere near them is mystifying.

I'm still salty as fuck about Andromeda, and exceptionally nervous about the next DA game, this just makes things worse. Her game was a dud, her video series are cancer, she's an exceptionally decisive individual, and her insights are fueled by both ignorance and bigotry. She's not someone you want anywhere near your sinking AAA publisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    I'm still salty as fuck about Andromeda, and exceptionally nervous about the next DA game, this just makes things worse. Her game was a dud, her video series are cancer, she's an exceptionally decisive individual, and her insights are fueled by both ignorance and bigotry. She's not someone you want anywhere near your sinking AAA publisher.
    Not much else to say.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    I can, absolutely.

Let's take her discussion about damsel in distress. She spends a lot of time noting the occurrences of the theme where a "man" rescues a "woman", and then spends a lot of time objecting to this based on the role of the "woman" being passive and the role of the "man" being active. However, when you are playing a game, this isn't "man" vs "woman", this is your character vs something worth rescuing. In many games, you are rescuing another "man" or a group of "men and women" or a completely inanimate treasure, etc. In many games, your character can be a "woman", too. There is no big deal whatsoever. A "man" rescuing a "woman" is used because it just helps set up the scenario quicker by involving stereotypes (you immediately get that a "princess" is absolutely worth rescuing and that you'd better hurry!), but it is not at all key, it is completely replaceable. But Anita makes a big deal out of it and uses it to rile people up. Why does she do it? Because that's how she makes money. That's all.

You want to play as a woman character? Be my guest and suggest that to developers. Those who only have males do not have that on purpose, the reason is predominantly that their resources were only good for a single character so they picked a "man" because they think most players are male or whatever and that choice will bring them more money than the other choice. They might be mistaken, too, and if it starts looking like going with a "woman" by default is better in terms of copies, they will gladly go that way. But Anita makes a big deal out of this because, well, she has to make a big deal out of something.

It's the same with nearly everything I watched from her.
    I don't if I find frothing rants like this more sad or amusing. All Anita made was a few videos pointing out tropes she feels are overused in video games. I've watched/read dozens if not hundreds of similar things all across the internet. Often they cherry-pick or miss out on some of the nuance of their arguments but usually they point out interesting trends in the way creators put stories or other forms of art together. Often they're done with an air of "wouldn't it be nice if we did something more original or interesting instead?"

It's just plain sad that some people have a massive problem if a person dares to do something similar from a feminist perspective, especially if they say something critical about video games.

She is just a professional victim. Professional victims are abhorrent because they parasite on others and detract both those who are being duped into the fake baseless outrage and those who aren't being duped into it but have to respond, from solving actual problems that matter. Anita and people like her are doing a huge disservice to everyone.
    If you want to see real professional victims you want to look at the "anti-SJW" folks who are milking those as easily outraged as yourself with narratives about how the evil women are going to take your video games away (the highlight of this was probably The Sarkeesian Effect wheeling out Jack fucking Thompson.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    It still remains a problem even with your generous interpretation.
    A problem why exactly?

7+ Year Old Account
    It´s just a shitty concept. If i see a movie like Bad Boys where the 2 main actors are black do i as a white person can´t relate to them because i´m white?

That´s where we get into the whole eugenics thing with some are better at things and the likes.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I'm curious if anyone's actually looking forward to Anthem. It seems like it's just Destiny but a little bit different. If I wanted to buy a shit shooter MMO from a shit publisher with shit business practices I'd just buy Destiny.
    ME3 had a pretty good multiplayer mode, if they could stretch that into a near-MMO like Destiny it could be pretty cool and I'd expect BioWare to make a more interesting setting to explore than Destiny's.

/sigh! >_<
    People like you keep saying to ignore her and that nobody important is listening to her and yet somehow she keeps getting invited to prominent things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Someone call this guy an ambulance!

I mean, I have to assume with so much word twisting that your spine is in a critical state at this point.

We may have hit peak false equivalency!
    More like you can't see racism for what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Is it though? I can only assume your talking across race so let’s go off that. We have female dwarfs who are stouter/fatter not really fitting into sexulized norms. We have female cows who are bulky and well cows. Female vykrel who are like 10 feet tall and buff female elementals like therezane female quillboars who look just like the men more or less. Warcraft has a ton of different body types for its women just like it has for its men they are really in no way all pretty and sexualized.
    Compare the different sizes and shapes of male player characters to the different sizes and shapes of female player characters. Notice how there is far more diversity among the male characters. If you've ever payed attention to WoW's Beta developments you'd also notice that trolls and worgen had their ugliness/ferocity toned down to make a prettier model.

On the other hand Blizz have generally done a good job with female forms. The playable races show a pretty good range of body-types that are close to what you might see in the real world than the fantastic (and occasionally ludicrous) male forms.