Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Really? Maybe I'm misremembering it... I thought it was done for the opposite reason. Given the human eyes and all. All I know for sure is that people complained about the appearance, and the end result was an atrocity. The original models for worgen looked great in comparison -- for both genders, I might add.

- - - Updated - - -

Varian didn't have that level of muscular build.

I know a different Alliance hero that would have, though. You might have heard of him.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Othmar_Garithos

TBH, it was the first thing I thought of looking at that. Just needs the right facial hair.
    But Garithos share the Knight model and they were all pretty much a bulky man with no fat just huge chib

Female trolls have savage/fierce/warty-looking faces, they just need a hunched-over/tribal/savage stance and animations change option like the male orcs have that resembles troll males. It's just weird to me that male darkspear stoop over and lose 1/3 of their height while their women stand beanpole upright. As long as there are options I have no problem with "pretty" iterations of traditionally unattractive races and their females.

Tbf, people act as though they're OK with non-pretty female characters, yet how does it actually translate in-game? What race/gender combo is the most common on the Horde for example? It ain't female Orcs...

Whilst I have no issue playing the "not so pretty" females like Dwarf, Orc and Goblin, it's kind of always a case that those will appeal only to a small part of the playerbase whilst the sexualized, pretty females will become heavily present in the game.

I think Blizzard have adopted the mentality that it's OK if a race doesn't become the go-to choice for people wanting a pretty avatar though, and I hope they'll do the Kul'tiran females justice. Those look like NPC characters meant to stand around selling goods and repairing gear rather than taking part in what the male Kul'tirans are up to...

Quote Originally Posted by rosso View Post
    But Garithos share the Knight model and they were all pretty much a bulky man with no fat just huge chib
    So kind of like Kul Tirans, in other words.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    Here's a secret. That model was ugly and kind of fat. The male, on the other hand, has hardly an ounce of fat at all. This is the model they should have gone with, with some refinements of course.

The sad thing is that the middle ground you speak of actually existed. The face of this model needed a bit of work done, sure. But the body is thin and lanky like the male, and the facial design had the potential to be kind of cute while still distinctly trollish. And I didn't realize that it'd already been posted. Ah well, I guess someone saved it since the last time I shared it.
    Yeah, actually this would have been slightly better than the current model. I think this would have fit better than the current one overall.

Huh, I never even knew this existed before today. Where did you find this?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goretex View Post
    Well female characters are suppose to attract female players, usually. Females usually go for characters with boobs or that look somewhat feminine.
    This is my thought.

I am female IRL and in general most women want stuff to be pretty. There's always exception, but generally women make stuff look pretty fi they can. I am no exception. I want my female characters to loot pretty, sexy and cute. I do like the male models also though, tbh, I have always liked the male troll model. I think it looks really cool, but I can't play male character personally. The original female version of it however, I don't think I would have played that, because I can't make gear look good on it.

And tbh, they are trying to attract more women to games, and I don't think that works if female characters look so-called ugly.

When it comes to Kul'Tiran women, I love their faces but I want a skinnier model. I like my fat dwarf though, but don't want to play a fat and tall human. And I honestly hate the worgen females. Their faces are extremely ugly, but their bodyshape is quite bad as well. In my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Ever notice how 95% of female horde players play blood elves? Hmmmm... wonder why?
    and 99.9% of female alliance players used to play human female but now void elf female wonder why eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    and 99.9% of female alliance players used to play human female but now void elf female wonder why eh
    Of the women in my guild, their mains are:

Night Elf Druid
    Draenei Priest
    Draenei Shaman
    Dwarf Priest
    Night Elf DH
    Gnome Mage

And, to buck stereotypes even further, only one of those is a healer. Half the women in my guild play classes with heavy race restrictions, so they don’t have much choice.
    Last edited by Nefarious Tea; 2018-03-21 at 01:20 PM.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    Here's a secret. That model was ugly and kind of fat. The male, on the other hand, has hardly an ounce of fat at all. This is the model they should have gone with, with some refinements of course.

The sad thing is that the middle ground you speak of actually existed. The face of this model needed a bit of work done, sure. But the body is thin and lanky like the male, and the facial design had the potential to be kind of cute while still distinctly trollish. And I didn't realize that it'd already been posted. Ah well, I guess someone saved it since the last time I shared it.
    That's a night elf head with tusks.

No thank you, I'd rather my character not look like a freakin' Night Elf.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Of the women in my guild, their mains are:

Night Elf Druid
    Draenei Priest
    Draenei Shaman
    Dwarf Priest
    Night Elf DH
    Gnome Mage
    Sounds like my character selection screen. Excluding that dwarf.

That original female tauren model is horrifying. They can accomplish phsyique diversity without making them look terrifying. Female tauren look fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chloral View Post
    I wish the kul-tiran women would look more like Zarya from Overwatch.
    Looked up some pictures and seconded. That's a good balance of big and tough that reflects the sort of thing we see in the males.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alright View Post
    Two words.

Sex sells.
    bingo. remember the bc continent load screens? each had 1 guy (one holding a gun!) and 4 females, mostly large breasted and voluptuous. even the undead female looked like a model, not a corpse.

a little brain chemistry stimulation there to keep one logged on?

vast majority of players I assume are still male. keeping female models 'feminine' isn't a surprise.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Even if the Devs decided to make females fiercer and uglier, stats don't lie. Most people that play female toons are not going to play them if they have a pretty alternative. Go to the below link and click on the female portion in the pie chart.

https://realmpop.com/us.html

Blood Elves 21.8%
    Humans 17.6%
    Night Elves 15.4%
    Draenei 9.7%

Note that what some would regard as the ugliest race, the female Dwarves are also the least played. Even though there does not appear to be any way to track this yet, I can almost guarantee you that for those players that play a female Troll, most chose to play the "pretty one".

I was curious to see if our European brethren chose differently, there really wasn't any. The prettiest female races are still the top 4.

https://realmpop.com/eu.html

Blood Elves 20.6%
    Humans 18.3%
    Night Elves 16.3%
    Draenei 9.4%

I can see Void Elves, Nightborne and Lightforged ranking high on these charts on future passes.

Sure you can have ugly females introduced with the allied races, but hardly anyone is going to play them.

7+ Year Old Account
    People like looking at good looking characters. That is why it is rare to see characters be created to look ugly.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheImperios View Post
    As much as people complain about pandering to progressives, pandering to the patriarchy is a much greater concern. People often criticised GW2 for its "SJW" storyline, but if there's one thing they did right, it's the charr females.
    Check out a few SJW marvel comic, you will see the "progressives" are so extreme now that making female pretty is not progressive at all. Women are purposefully drawn to be as ugly as possible. After all, what does feminists hate more than men? beautiful women.
    Last edited by gobio; 2018-03-22 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Its almost like people forget these are Blizzard's characters... which means the 'racial identity' is whatever Blizz decides it is. Don't get me wrong - I'd prefer savage, vicious evil-looking worgen as well, but ultimately they are Blizzard's creation and can look however Blizz damn well pleases.

Having said that Blizz has openly admitted to screwing up on female worgen and the BFA remodel will likely address that to some extent.

Last but not least... there's not a chance in hell that terribad fan-art informs the design of female ogres. Not a chance.
    There are mean looking faces in game and old looking ones for every race though. I think Undead have the most variety and other race should get faces and accessory on par with them.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Oh dear god! I went looking and wish I hadn't.

[IMG]http://en.wikifur.com/w/images/c/c3/TaurenAlpha.png[IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.4gamer.net/store/shots/wow/img/wow_14.jpg[IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.4gamer.net/store/shots/wow/img/wow_11.jpg[IMG]
    OOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW! MY EYES! BURN IT! BURN IT!

I've always loved the Tauren Fem, especially now that they have the best player model. But if that had been the model I started with, I would probably still have M Tauren characters. Goodness those are horrible.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    For all the complaints about Kul Tirans being "FAT" I think this is the bigger issues - That Blizzard are so scared to break free from their norms that they won't allow the women to look like hardened bruisers like the men. The women imo look generic and plain and boring, and have had all of the Kul Tiran personality drained from them in compromise to make them prettier and more non-threatening.
    It has been proven that people rarely play ugly races, that's it. Blizz just does not want to make ENTIRELY new races that then only a handful of people are gonna play. The reason why we haven't gotten ogres yet is not because they couldn't come up with a female counterpart, but because the Way ogres look already.

Sure there are quite some vocal people on these forums who'd love to play them... and I fully understand them... but srsly, most people nowadays (not only in WoW, but all MMOs) pick the better looking, muscular and edgy races.

That being said though, I am quite surprised that we're getting Kul Tirans (though they may not be an entirely new race).

Kul Tirans vs Vulpera. I know which one will have more players (unless the Kul Tiran racial abilities are straight up broken OP).

Even then I'd put even odds of Vulpera winning.

Nope, it was not what the vanilla troll model looked like. It was exactly like the current one, but with less, less polygons.

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly because when someone picks out a character they choose one that is appealing to them. For most people this means humans or near humans typically resembling an idealized version of themselves, for others it's less simple. The rest of people choose things based of personal values and whims, this is where things get complicated as different people will have very different interpretations of the same thing, but by in large there are two major groups. One group wants to play what they consider "badass" this varies wildly from giant minotaur man to tiny gnome mage, but they still find it badass. Then there is the other major group who wants their character to express a little madness inside them, they want it to be as ugly or silly as possible, Gnome warriors are a classic example of this.

The issue comes from the fact that you can't really get the first group so you need to try and maximize the other two, but the last one naturally wants things that are the opposite of the rest, and moreover they don't really have much desire for additional options. This leaves the badass one, and simply put the fantasy of most people who play female characters involves characters that aren't outright ugly.