Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumba View Post
    Ikari Warriors without ABBA is bullshit.
    Ooh I had completely forgotten about that game! We loved that almost as much as Double Dragon.

EDIT: I'm getting all kinds of flash backs. Duck Tales, Adventure Island, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Excite Bike, Punch Out, etc. What a time!

I think all those cartridges are still at my parent's house, somewhere in the attic.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2018-03-20 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    While crazy difficult, it has been done by TheMexicanRunner, a speedrunner and NES completionist mostly known for running Battletoads and having beaten every NES game ever licensed by Nintendo. http://themexicanrunner.com/faq

Oh I know it's possible. In fact I don't focus on the visuals for the last part of that level anyways, it's all about timing.

I'm just saying, some random dude saying "I could beat this blindfolded" is laughable. Don't make claims like that if you can't back them up, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Don't make claims like that if you can't back them up, IMHO.
    Why can’t he make such claims and what makes you believe he gives a rat’s ass about whether you believe him or not?

You people worry too much aboit insignificant, banal things

A lot of games were hard due to poor programming, but mostly because the harder the game the longer it would take someone to beat it which made the games have more longevity.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Why can’t he make such claims and what makes you believe he gives a rat’s ass about whether you believe him or not?

You people worry too much aboit insignificant, banal things
    I guess it doesn't matter if you have no pride in yourself. I'm running off of the assumption he does, and also am in a sense baiting him to make a video so I can watch it and have a good time doing it. Because seeing people struggle with hard NES games can be pretty entertaining. I'm a little disappointed that nothing came of it.

On principle, though, you shouldn't make claims about anything unless you either are willing to put forth the effort to show you can do it, or have no self pride about it whatsoever. And if it's the latter, why should you care enough to make the claim in the first place, especially if it's an 'insignificant, banal thing'. In fact, why are you even posting here if you don't care? lol.

I guess it doesn't matter if you have no pride in yourself. I'm running off of the assumption he does, and also am in a sense baiting him to make a video so I can watch it and have a good time doing it. Because seeing people struggle with hard NES games can be pretty entertaining. I'm a little disappointed that nothing came of it.

On principle, though, you shouldn't make claims about anything unless you either are willing to put forth the effort to show you can do it, or have no self pride about it whatsoever. And if it's the latter, why should you care enough to make the claim in the first place, especially if it's an 'insignificant, banal thing'. In fact, why are you even posting here if you don't care? lol.
    First of all, your principles are just that; your principles. He doesn't need to agree with them, nor abide by them.

Secondly, pride is subjective. I pride myself on many significant achievements. Beating hard video games when I was a kid is not one of them. Maybe it's the same for him? Furthermore, I could share these achievements without feeling the urge to prove them true.

Lastly, I assume he participates in this thread because he finds the subject interesting and not because he has the need to prove something.

You ask me why I post here. Why do you think? I can tell you this: it's not to impress anyone.

If your self worth takes a hit whenever someone says they can do something you struggle with, it's your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    A lot of games were hard due to poor programming, but mostly because the harder the game the longer it would take someone to beat it which made the games have more longevity.
    Yes, "fake difficulty" is still a thing in video game development. Sometimes accidental, often intentionally. It most certainly is the cheapest way to give the impression of difficulty. I think people generally confuse 'hard' with 'tedious'.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2018-03-21 at 01:05 PM.

Yes, "fake difficulty" is still a thing in video game development. Sometimes accidental, often intentionally. It most certainly is the cheapest way to give the impression of difficulty. I think people generally confuse 'hard' with 'tedious'.
    Agreed, tedious and unfair placement of obstacles like in Ninja Gaiden for example when things come out of nowhere and knock you into death lol.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Agreed, tedious and unfair placement of obstacles like in Ninja Gaiden for example when things come out of nowhere and knock you into death lol.
    Yeah, or horrible controls (Dark Souls), not giving you enough information when you need it (Final Fantasy series), bad camera views, etc.

Because they were supposed to keep kids entertained for montgs despite having minutes worth of content.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaon View Post
    This level ... argh, it was so frustrating.

And it was even worse with 2 players!

First of all, your principles are just that; your principles. He doesn't need to agree with them, nor abide by them.

Secondly, pride is subjective. I pride myself on many significant achievements. Beating hard video games when I was a kid is not one of them. Maybe it's the same for him? Furthermore, I could share these achievements without feeling the urge to prove them true.

Lastly, I assume he participates in this thread because he finds the subject interesting and not because he has the need to prove something.

You ask me why I post here. Why do you think? I can tell you this: it's not to impress anyone.

If your self worth takes a hit whenever someone says they can do something you struggle with, it's your problem.
    I was just having a discussion, and you have the gall to assume that I am 'getting upset over banal, insignificant things' and then post drawn out drivel like this. You are the very definition of a hypocrite, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    Because they were supposed to keep kids entertained for montgs despite having minutes worth of content.
    I sometimes think that people saying this never actually experienced the 80s and 90s first hand.

We didn't need new content to have fun, ya know? We completed Double Dragon II, Golden Axe, Alien Storm, Final Fight, Pitfighter, Streets of Rage, Battle Toads, Punch Out, etc. hundreds of times. We didn't put them away after having killed the final boss.

I was just having a discussion, and you have the gall to assume that I am 'getting upset over banal, insignificant things' and then post drawn out drivel like this. You are the very definition of a hypocrite, lol.
    Yes, "lol". Next time use fewer words if you're not going to say anything remotely intelligent.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2018-03-21 at 05:37 PM.

They aren't hard now, to me. Original Mega Man used to be SO HARD when I was 11 years old. That damn ice man stage with the disappearing blocks, and the Ice Man boss fight used to be so hard to me, plus Elecman. He used to move so damn fast. Now, it's a joke. I can do them with an arm behind my back, just about. We also have to understand that back then, we were children (those of us who played them at the time) and we didn't have fully developed brains and hand-eye coordination.

(but then I did complete Cuphead with A+ on all bosses, so maybe I'm just exceptional and shit)
    If we could all sit and talk without demonizing one another and attempt to understand the opposite point of view, the collective world would be a better place. Mental bigotry is the worst of all.

I sometimes think that people saying this never actually experienced the 80s and 90s first hand.

We didn't need new content to have fun, ya know? We completed Double Dragon II, Golden Axe, Alien Storm, Final Fight, Pitfighter, Streets of Rage, Battle Toads, Punch Out, etc. hundreds of times. We didn't put them away after having killed the final boss.
    I don't know how you can generalize like that, however as part of that generation, I can assure you neither me nor any of my friends would ever buy a game if we could complete the 5-60 minutes worth of content while visiting a friend's house. Hence the difficulty and all the 'secrets'
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

7+ Year Old Account
    Gonna say one of the biggest, cheapest reasons would be the limited continues, in a lot of cases. I really can't consider that a 'good' challenge, it's just really really annoying. ;_:

because those old games were very very short

Deleted
    Play nethack.

'nuff said

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, or horrible controls (Dark Souls), not giving you enough information when you need it (Final Fantasy series), bad camera views, etc.

I have to disagree with you DS series playing it with a controller is not horrible far from it. It's really great the main problem is some people say it's horrible because they mix the DS series to a hack and slash games like God of War or Devil May Cry. It's not horrible it's just different. You are the first guy who ever say DS series controls are horrible...yeah it takes time to get used to specially for those who are new to the series but far from horrible.

The real reason?

Most of them were on the short end (especially compared to todays standards), so they wanted you to feel like you got your monies worth. They did this by extending the period of time you would play it by making it a lot more difficult. Now you spent more time playing the game because you keep dying, but if they did it juuust right it wasn't so hard that you pulled your hair out (unless it was Ninja Gaiden or Ghost N Ghosts) and you felt like you accomplished something when you made a bit more progress.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Unless we're talking about games with poor controls and unintuitive gameplay (like Castlevania 2's Deborah Cliff), most games were difficult just because you had limited lives and continues. This caused you to replay the game and get better at it over time. Couple this with limited technology and input, and you can get things like flickering, re-appearing enemies if scroll back a pixel, bad enemy placement, etc. However, once you were good at a game, it wasn't really that difficult. Was Mega Man difficult when you first played it? Of course, but the more you played it the better you got at it. I was able to eventually complete the game without continuing, and then without dying. Today, most games have unlimited lives and checkpoints every 30 seconds, so you typically complete a game through brute force rather than learning the game. Is that better? Debatable, but it definitely makes games easier. People tout Dark Souls as difficult, but once I got used to the clunky-ish controls it wasn't really that difficult of a game.

Someone did make a good point of information. Back then we had ourselves, a few kids at school, and Nintendo Power; so information about games back then was limited. Today, there are day 0 walkthroughs, let's plays, forums, etc, all over the web and easily accessible. I think this can't be stated enough, as information is power. How much easier would Metroid have been if we already knew where all of the power ups were and had a nice map to look at while we played (though there was something special about graphing out maps back then, and making your own notes).

One last thing I'd like to mention. Let's look at NES Super Mario Bros; three lives, no continues. Did you beat the game the first time you played? No. But you learned the levels, the enemies, etc, and you were able to beat the game. But would anyone today call Super Mario Bros. a hard game? I don't think so. Then I saw a friend's kid playing some Super Mario game on the Wii or something and after they died a few times at the same spot the game asked them if they wanted to skip past that part. So were the games really that hard, or have we just become that lazy?