Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What RPGs would you recommend for people who have never played an RPG before?

Believe it or not the Mass Effect 3 demo was my very first RPG. Before that I was a CoD and Halo dudebro. After finishing the ME3 demo I proceeded to get the entire trilogy with DLC. After finishing the trilogy I picked up Child of Light and the Indivisible demo and had loads of fun with those!

I am excited for these!

What RPGs would you recommend for non RPG gamers? What are the easiest RPGs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Mass Effect 2 > 3.

Easiest? I don't think pointing people to the easiest RPG is a good idea, I would point them to old gold like the Ultima series, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, Elder Scrolls, more recently Pillars of Eternity and of course the masterpiece Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    Easiest? I don't think pointing people to the easiest RPG is a good idea, I would point them to old gold like the Ultima series, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, Elder Scrolls, more recently Pillars of Eternity and of course the masterpiece Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2.
    How well does Baldur's Gate hold up nowdays? I love Divinity, not a fan of PoE mostly cause I felt the combat sucked ass.

Dragon Age: Origins

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    None of those bar maybe newer TES games are rpgs id recommend to someone entirely new to the genre. There's a lot of quirks to older Black Isle/interplay rpgs etc where it helps having a basic background in the genre before diving into. Like say, Kotor, or DA:O first.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Dragon Age: Origins
    This absolutely. It was pretty much my first that I completed.

Probably something like witcher 3.

The best thing about Rpg's is the immersion and witcher 3 is a pretty damn immersive game. Then once you get a taste for it you want more tactical/gameplay demanding games also with complexity in the character design. Ie WoW pre WoD and games like PoE/diablo 2

10+ Year Old Account
    TES:IV Oblivion.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

7+ Year Old Account
    Another vote for Dragon Age: Origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    How well does Baldur's Gate hold up nowdays? I love Divinity, not a fan of PoE mostly cause I felt the combat sucked ass.
    Well the combat in PoE is factually better than in every older RPGs because it's the same system but less clunky basically and it's easier to remove the cancerous MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS.
    Baldur's Gate holds up fine they just revamped it or something recently, same for Icewind Dale, but Planescape I dont think got boosted so it may look like shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    None of those bar maybe newer TES games are rpgs id recommend to someone entirely new to the genre. There's a lot of quirks to older Black Isle/interplay rpgs etc where it helps having a basic background in the genre before diving into. Like say, Kotor, or DA:O first.
    Almost everyone started playing RPGs with these games. It helps understanding where some things come from when playing newer RPGs afterward.

Fable: Lost Chapters

Damn I loved that game when I was a kid.

Phantasy Star 4

Final Fantasy 5, 6 or 7

Phantasy Star 3

Chrono Trigger

The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Could probably list a whole lot more but these are the ones I'd recommend.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-03-21 at 08:49 PM.

Shadowrun Dragonfall - easy to understand the rules, fun turn based gameplay (so a noob doesn't feel pressured) and hands down one of the best stories in an RPG in quite some time. I actually cried a couple of... I mean... I chopped onions while playing. Yeah, that's it. That's believable, checks out.

Fallout 3 - fairly easy, fun, immersive world, VATS decreases pressure on the player, very open character design, good voice acting. Main story wasn't amazing, but was good enough to keep me interested.

It'd entirely depend on what sort of games they have been used of playing before, there's no one clear-cut answer.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always recommend the original Paper Mario for a first RPG, especially for a younger player. As for adults? I'd steer them towards:

Final Fantasy IV- it doesn't have some of the more complex systems other games in the series do. More clean-cut and easier to pick up if you ask me.
    Final Fantasy VI
    Skyrim
    Fallout
    Mass Effect
    Chrono Trigger
    Dragon Age- Make sure they play it on PC, though.
    KOTOR

Risen series.

Kidding aside, I would probably show them something like Witcher 3, even though I do not consider it a proper RPG, ( or even a proper game) it's beautiful, has some compelling story and the washed down button smashing 'gamplay' do appeal to someone who is coming over from something like CoD or Halo. It's a decent gateway drug.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

Dragon Age Origins and Inquisition.
    Witcher 3
    Kingdoms of Amalur.
    Dark Souls 1, 2 (scholar) and 3
    Grim Dawn
    Tomb Raider/Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Salt and Sanctuary