Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What's a good Hard Drive brand, besides Seagate?

I've been using Seagate for so long that I no longer have any idea what a good alternative is.

Western Digital is a name that comes up as often as Seagate but I have no idea what the colours all mean. I see a few Toshibas, and some weird no-name brands I've never heard of. I'm not seeing any Maxtors around, do they still exist?

What would be comparable to a Seagate Barracuda?

Deleted
    There are 3 of them remaining: Seagate, Western Digital and Toshiba. Everything else is just a rebranding under different name. Hitachi HGST was bought by Western Digital and Japanese anti-trust authorities allowed the business only if Toshiba takes over a part of their 3.5 HDD factories (previously Toshiba did 2.5 HDDs only) - so Toshibas desktop drive business was created. Still HGST could qualify as a semi-independent maker, because their market is a bit different from WDs (they mainly deal in enterprise and server disks), yet slowly but surely the 2 companies will merge over the years. Just as Samsung, IBM and others were merged as well.

I like to try and find the Hitachi Ultrastar drives. In my experience they are very reliable.

Samsung for SSD, Western Digital for HDD.

Also, https://hddmag.com/western-digital-h...ors-explained/ to tell you what the WD colors are.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Samsung for SSD, Western Digital for HDD.

Also, https://hddmag.com/western-digital-h...ors-explained/ to tell you what the WD colors are.
    Add Crucial for SSDs and you have the two kings. Crucial and Samsung trade blows, however if you want NVMe/PCI-E, Samsung hands-down.

WD is absolutely the top of the stack in HDDs, Seagate has repeatedly shown to not be as consistent with drive quality.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Was gonna say Hitachi but apparently they are WD but that's what my choice would be.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seagate has essentially replaced the near decade old Hitachi Deathstar meme. They're consistently ahead of the pack when it comes to failure rates from consumer to enterprise which is why my go to brand for mass storage hard drives is Western Digital.

It's just a shame the 1TB Blue series is the only model which is 7200RPM.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2018-03-21 at 10:10 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Was gonna say Hitachi but apparently they are WD but that's what my choice would be.
    Hitachi was bought out for a reason, just like OCZ. They are not a successful HDD brand. There is a reason people like to joke that their HDDs are "Hitachi Deathstars" not "Deskstars."
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Hitachi was bought out for a reason, just like OCZ. They are not a successful HDD brand. There is a reason people like to joke that their HDDs are "Hitachi Deathstars" not "Deskstars."
    Deathstar comes from the IBM days, when the then hdd department had a whole bunch of their Deskstar drives fail. They sold the department to Hitachi. That was around 2004, maybe earlier. Then a few years ago Western Digital acquired them. Hitachi hdds are reliable although a bit hard to find. I guess they prefer to sell stock to other OEMs or to enterprise customers. You can find them under the name HGST.

On topic, i use WD hdds. I only had two of them in the past failing. One 80gb back in 2008 i think. That one was factory defect. And the second one, a 1tb blue back in 2011. SMART error in less than 24 hours since i got it.

All the WD blue drives with any reasonable amount of storage are 5400 RPM though.

The Toshiba P300-3 looks good. Any reason why I shouldn't buy it? (edit: people are saying it's really loud)

What's most important to me tbh is low noise. The reason I'm ditching Seagate is because my new Barracuda is so damn loud, and apparently that's "normal" for it.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2018-03-22 at 02:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    All the WD blue drives with any reasonable amount of storage are 5400 RPM though.

The Toshiba P300-3 looks good. Any reason why I shouldn't buy it? (edit: people are saying it's really loud)

What's most important to me tbh is low noise. The reason I'm ditching Seagate is because my new Barracuda is so damn loud, and apparently that's "normal" for it.
    How much storage do you want? I've had many 7200RPM Blues over the years, however they maxed at 1TB, I have two WD Blacks, also 7200RPM, one is a 1TB, the other a 5TB.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    How much storage do you want? I've had many 7200RPM Blues over the years, however they maxed at 1TB, I have two WD Blacks, also 7200RPM, one is a 1TB, the other a 5TB.
    I need 3TB, and trying to keep prices below £80 ($115).

Deleted
    FWIIW Backblaze pubblishes the failure rates of their HDDs used in cloud storage.
    Keep in mind that those numbers are from a heavy duty environment.

Seagate's smaller disks don't look too good there.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2018-03-22 at 12:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maxtor was purchased by Seagate in 2006 just btw.

WD Black are all 7200RPM if you need that.

The consumer market for performance HDD's running at 7200RPM is probably shrinking quite rapidly in the last few years because of the growth of the SSD market. You can get 1TB SSD without breaking the bank these days. If you need more storage space than that it's more convenient to have a small server housing all your HDD's tucked away in a closet somewhere, meaning you get rid of the noise of HDD's from your computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    WD blacks all the way.

I need 3TB, and trying to keep prices below £80 ($115).
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-RED-NAS-.../dp/B008JJLW4M

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

I have a Toshiba p300 3TB drive. It was much cheaper then Seagate and WD and it works just as great
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    I have a Toshiba p300 3TB drive. It was much cheaper then Seagate and WD and it works just as great
    What is the sound like? I'm see loads of reviews saying it's really loud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem with Red drives is they are a slow 5400RPM. =/
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seagate was never good but Hitachi or HGST drives are the most reliable.