Thread: Male Rape on TV

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Male Rape on TV

Despite the article talking about a television series I feel the message behind it is extremely important

This week Coronation Street aired its first male rape storyline, proving to be one of its most controversial topics to date.

The scenes, which see newcomer Josh Tucker drug and sexually assault hairdresser David Platt, have generated over 100 complaints to Ofcom.

It has also caused a debate on social media about the place of difficult real-life issues on light entertainment programmes.

David's storyline has gone some way to highlight how seriously soaps take issue-based storylines and how much work goes into them.

Ryan Clayton - who plays Josh - tells the BBC he "can't stress the importance enough" of why stories like this need to be aired and brought to a wider audience.

"The great thing, with whatever soap is covering it, is you've got millions of people tuning into a programme," he says.

The story of male rape is not new to soaps and Hollyoaks was the first to cover it - first in 2000 with Luke Morgan and in 2015 with John Paul McQueen.

Clayton says the reason the David Platt story has caused such a stir is because "Corrie targets an older generation" who he says can be "naive" about such issues, in comparison to the younger audience of Hollyoaks.

He also hopes that the difficult scenes could encourage viewers who have been victims of sexual assault to speak out for the first time.

Clayton worked with Duncan Craig, who used his own experience of rape and sexual assault to advise on every part of the story - from the moment the idea was discussed to the day it was filmed and edited.

His charity, Survivors Manchester, has also been involved in offering advice to victims off the back of the show.

"I wanted it to be like real life," Craig tells the BBC.

"Not the rape on Friday, telling the police on Monday and punishing the perpetrator on Tuesday."

He says that the team at Coronation Street, headed up by executive producer Kate Oakes, listened to his ideas throughout the entire process.

Craig - who has waived his right to anonymity - was involved in script-writing, filming scenes and working with actors on the show to make sure everything felt like an accurate portrayal.

He first got involved in advising soaps on rape storylines by working on the John Paul scripts with a team of Hollyoaks writers.

"When I found out the character was David Platt, I knew this was so vitally important as he's someone viewers have grown up with - it feels like he's part of their family," says Craig.

"Corrie is an institution and a national treasure and I thought we had a real opportunity to show that rape can happen to anyone."

He highlights certain aspects of the story as being significant, including the fact that David is straight and raped by a man whose sexuality is unknown - adding that in many instances, it is assumed that the rapist is gay.

"It was important that David was not raped by a stranger because that story's been told in drama a few times - victims are more likely to know the perpetrator," Craig adds.

Something both Craig and Clayton also mention is the importance in the story of accurately portraying male mental health.

"David's never had a positive relationship with men. Recently his half-brother has disappeared and he's never really known his dad," Craig adds.

Clayton says he made sure to correctly portray the most sensitive aspects of the story - including grooming David and slipping the drug GHB into his drink - when playing Josh.

"Every bit of information from David's past, Josh laps up and takes to his advantage," says Clayton.

"He's very manipulative and takes an opportunity - David needs a new male role model.

"In Josh's mind he won't accept that he's raped David - he sees it as a night of fun, [that] David is the one with a troubled past."

The storyline also brought a new element to the soap - looking at the idea of male vulnerability.

"Maybe there's a crisis in masculinity," Craig adds, when asked why some people are reacting negatively to the plot.

"Men don't know what it means to be a man or how they should be and this is a huge story to talk about.

"It's about shame, guilt, anxiety and depression, sense of self and worthlessness, not being able to be a 'man' and is connected to psychological wellbeing.

"Rape and sexual assault is about power and control and when someone's had this asserted over them, you're left with a sense of nothingness."

Clayton adds: "If you look at the figures for male rape, on average it takes men 20 years to open up.

"When you think about the way men deal with it, some will take it to the grave."
    I also agree with this Tweet

watching #Corrie and the david platt rape story may be hard to watch but it’s good that they’re showing that it doesn’t matter age race sexuality or gender, sexual assault can happen to anyone and the abuse of men is just as valid as the abuse of women. we need this education

10+ Year Old Account
    It is sadly a deeply ignored statistic in the west how many men are raped, and won't come forward, hiding it in shame, fear, or just disbelief that a man could be be a victim.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    It is sadly a deeply ignored statistic in the west how many men are raped, and won't come forward, hiding it in shame, fear, or just disbelief that a man could be be a victim.
    Exactly which is why I actually congratulate this... It's an important issue often overlooked and misunderstood

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a notable Mindy Project episode where male rape was one of the major punchlines. I remember seeing it with my wife and us both looking at each other and going "wow, that's fucked up."

Moreso since the show so explicitly deals with things like weight, race, gender, sexuality, careers etc. in an 'empowering' and positive manner. For the writers to do all that shit and then somehow think raping a drunk guy is funny was pretty hypocritical.

Here's a blog post on the subject written from the perspective of a woman.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2018-03-21 at 10:31 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Despite the article talking about a television series I feel the message behind it is extremely important

I also agree with this Tweet
    Yall never seen Oz over there then have you?
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    There's a difference between actually exploring the psychology and impact of being a rape victim, versus treating rape as a shock value plot device. HBO falls into the latter category.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Exactly which is why I actually congratulate this... It's an important issue often overlooked and misunderstood
    I was actually screamed at by some feminists when I brought up male rape. They said its impossible.

THIS is a controversy? I though the americans were prudes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was actually screamed at by some feminists when I brought up male rape. They said its impossible.
    I'm sure the feminists in your head told you that, yeah.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Then you weren't talking to feminists in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    There's a difference between actually exploring the psychology and impact of being a rape victim, versus treating rape as a shock value plot device. HBO falls into the latter category.
    Actually Oz explored that , even though it was in a prison setting. The Show Outlanders also explored it

Anyone can get raped. This isn't news.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Deleted
    Oz isn't a 50 year old Soap that airs every weekday and depicts modern life

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually Oz explored that
    Poorly. HBO's shows aren't known for being particularly sincere in their depiction of sexual assault since it's more used for its shock value rather than for its character utility.

When I say character utility, I don't mean turning all broody or going on a revenge quest either. Rape is very hard to depict accurately and most artists do a shitty job of it.

Outlander season one has an interesting take on male rape.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    THIS is a controversy? I though the americans were prudes.
    Well it is aired before watershed 7:30pm

- - - Updated - - -

People need to remember this particular television show is watched by millions and usually by families from 10 y/o to 90 y/o. The information is getting broadcast to a vast range of people

Well it is aired before watershed 7:30pm

- - - Updated - - -

People need to remember this particular television show is watched by millions and usually by families from 10 y/o to 90 y/o. The information is getting broadcast to a vast range of people
    I must admit I'm not well versed in old british television shows. Emmerdale is still a thing? Is it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I must admit I'm not well versed in old british television shows. Emmerdale is still a thing? Is it?
    It is yeah heh

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Then you weren't talking to feminists in the first place.
    If they call themselves feminists then they are feminists. That's the magic of not having a central body or defined definition. If they ever decide to organize and define themselves and exclude the shitty parts of their group then I'll happily accept your explanation. Until then, I'll judge them by the rotten apples they keep around.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    If they call themselves feminists then they are feminists. That's the magic of not having a central body or defined definition. If they ever decide to organize and define themselves and exclude the shitty parts of their group then I'll happily accept your explanation. Until then, I'll judge them by the rotten apples they keep around.
    No, you can't just claim people to be a part of ideology just because it's convenient for you. I can call myself a potato, does that mean I am a potato?