Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    BfA has a new UI layout, what else, I don't know, if they don't want you to use Addons in Alpha, even if we don't know the reasons, ...

... then you don't use them?

A novel thought, but maybe worth thinking about it.

Also alarming: The claimed dependency on healing addons. Are they too good, mandatory, whatever! I only heal with my Shaman and Paladin this is really easymode, and at least personally think Priest healing is rather challenging. I think this isn't something addons should solve, it's up to Blizzard to solve that.

The purpose of the alpha is to playtest the game as it is, I would think addons would be a hindrance to that. Especially with some of the changes I've heard involving interface revamps. Surely they want you to be testing those too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scroolooseuk View Post
    Why do some people find it difficult to understand that some players need addons? I have a disability IRL and I use one particular addon to help me play. is there any need to take such a pathetic attitude toward addon users?
    They're not taking a pathetic attitude towards addon users, you're being unreasonable. It's super simple to understand: Initial testing does not allow addons because they are testing the game on stock UI. They have ALWAYS enabled addons at some later stage, but in the early days it's about testing the game without addons. It's been like this since... well, since I've played WoW, over a decade.

Despite your belief, blizzard are not trying to 'spite you' or 'mock your disability' or whatever you may potentially believe in your head. As a player who cannot play without a particular addon, you are in the vast minority, and the game is not developed over the tiniest common denominator.
    Last edited by Will; 2018-03-22 at 01:25 AM.

I think the main point is this is Alpha not live, they do not need to cater to the game being 100% playable. Alpha (and Beta) exist for testing and purely that (even though it is leaning towards just being a demo). They disable addons because they don't want the addons to interfere with their changes and cause confusion if an error is done by Blizzard or by the addon.

Asus Prime x299 | Intel i7-7800x | Corsair H110i cpu watercooler | MSI Sea Hawk gtx 1080 | 16gb DDR4 3000hz GSkill RGB | Samsung 960 evo 250gb M.2 + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair AX760 | Corsair Crystal series 570x case | Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit | Acer 23 inch monitor 1920x1080 + LG 23inch 1920x1080 + Asus 144hz 1920x1080|

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah exactly, new expansion, new content, new systems in place, lots of new UI errors. They don't allow addons which could cause conflicts and make errors harder to diagnose until later on when they've finished fixing up the stock UI. Yet people being people, you get the occasional folk who come along only seeing it from their own point of view and thinking Blizzard are being retarded or unfair. Typical.

They know what they are doing with it.

My thoughts are that it ensures a cleaner alpha testing environment. Once the game is tested and patched up to release, then it's up to the add-on developers to conform to the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I empathise with relying heavily on addons and agree the lack of them can make it annoying to play the content enough to test it, but this is pretty standard for early testing with Blizzard. They have them disabled so they can eliminate them as potential bug sources and make sure reported issues are coming from the actual game itself.

Once they are further along, they will enable them again.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I just noticed everyone.
    this is like that kid who went to minecon and asked the people how to fix his mincraft world cause he downloaded too many mods, or that other one who died in an elevator in a mod and his map became corrupt and asked for help.

Blizzard does not support the addons, they are not letting you on the alpha to test them, they want you to test the game, maybe in beta sure, but this is alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Lol. /10char
    lmao, this x1000. If you can't heal without an addon you shouldn't be healing.
    Kthxhugsbye

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do some people find it difficult to understand that some players need addons? I have a disability IRL and I use one particular addon to help me play. is there any need to take such a pathetic attitude toward addon users?
    Based on past evidence, they'll enable them as we get closer to release. In the meantime, there's plenty of other stuff to test and give feedback on.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Corydon View Post
    I totally agree addons should not be allowed in an alpha. But to defend addon using healers: Once you are used to using "Clique" (which is all *I* need) (https://www.wowinterface.com/downloa...08-Clique.html) it's hard to go back.
    You can do almost anything Clique does with well written Macros and a Gaming Mouse.

Addons have always been banned from use in all alpha tests that blizzard have done, but in previous alphas (Mop, Wod and Legion) it was possible to do a memory edit in the exe file to modify it so that it would allow addons and blizz would just turn a blind eye on this.

However in BFA, Blizzard has tried to intervene addon use during Battle for Azeroth Alpha three times (since the first Alpha build to build 26175).

I am in the alpha but personally I can't heal without addons so I play DPS to test stuff.

Just curious as to what peoples thoughts are of using addons in alphas.
    Its not difficult to heal with base ui, even without spending 20 min making mouse over macros. personally had zero issue playing alpha without mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I can also scrub my driveway with my tooth brush perfectly fine, that still doesn't make it a good cleaning strategy.
    You should use your tears too. All that salt will provide some nice grit to scrub with.

Yes but no you need to be in the Alpha?

You say you can't Heal with out your Addons because of your disability but you don't need to be in the Alpha do you? So either treat it as an exercise in being able to Heal in a sandbox with the mindset of having the great advantage of being in Alpha or compromise and play DPS -as you suggest.

But of course, addons are a terrible idea in Alpha; the sole purpose of the Alpha is for data and feedback, addons will screw with both of those endeavours somewhat.

My condolences for your disability though. I used Gnome Sequencer and a Logitech mouse to spam through some rotations when I had injured my wrist for a while; it wasn't possible with some classes, but with my Protection Paladin the toggle on/off rotation worked really well. Hope you'll find a sweet spot on Alpha though and maybe it will provide a chance to see if you can heal without addons.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mkultra55 View Post
    You can do almost anything Clique does with well written Macros and a Gaming Mouse.
    No you can't! Explain to me how I cast regrowth by clicking my middle mouse button on a raid frame using marcos? I understand that you can revamp gaming mouse buttons to keys on the keyboard using the software provided, but mine wont allow me to revamp left and right clicks

For over 8 years I have been using addons to allow me to:

Left click on a raid frame - cast regrowth
    Middle click on a raid frame - cast Rejuv
    Right click on a raid frame - Cast healing touch

You explain to me the macro that will allow me to do this
    Last edited by MarkTheMadMad; 2018-03-22 at 08:34 AM.

Maybe this is a good opportunity to lessen your dependency on addons.

Deleted
    I am in the alpha but personally I can't heal without addons so I play DPS to test stuff.
    Just curious as to what peoples thoughts are of using addons in alphas.
    my opinion: If you cant play the game without addons you are bad.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a disability IRL and I use one particular addon to help me play. is there any need to take such a pathetic attitude toward addon users?
    please explain why you can mouseover/click as a dps but not as a heal?

No you can't! Explain to me how I cast regrowth by clicking my middle mouse button on a raid frame using marcos? I understand that you can revamp gaming mouse buttons to keys on the keyboard using the software provided, but mine wont allow me to revamp left and right clicks

For over 8 years I have been using addons to allow me to:

Left click on a raid frame - cast regrowth
    Middle click on a raid frame - cast Rejuv
    Right click on a raid frame - Cast healing touch

You explain to me the macro that will allow me to do this
    quick googling of difficulty with macroing extra mouse buttons shows sugggestions that say instead of trying to do a one-step approach like you're doing: macro button 3 to cast spell x

instead they say rebind your mouse button three to a keystroke, and then put a macro that casts the spells you want onto an actionbar and keybind that button to your desired keystroke.

In case that retelling doesn't work for you here's the original and the source.

There is a bug/feature by which you can't use mouse buttons for mouseover macros, you need to rebind the mouse buttons to act as keyboard keys. If you have a gaming mouse, the software that came with it will probably let you do this, but if not you will need to use AutoHotkey or something similar to modify the buttons.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...ith_mouseover/

They are probably more interested in testing the stability of the game than the actual gameplay. They'll transition once they have the data they want.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry but disabled or not, if you can't heal without addons then you shouldn't be alpha or beta testing and are probably a bad healer. I've been playing since vanilla & my priest's offspec has always been healing. I have tried healing addons like clique and healbot but they are too cumbersome and unneeded. Then you factor in addons break with patch releases quite often (up until recently they broke EVERY patch and would be out for at least a couple days to a week before their authors would fix them). When patches are released, you're still expected to do your job (in this case healing) so if you can't do it without addons then you shouldn't be doing it at all. I honestly don't know of ANY disability that would cause someone to not be able to use a keyboard and mouse normally to play a video game that is made easier by an addon for the game that also requires you to use a keyboard and mouse. Hell simply clicking on your targets and then clicking buttons on your toolbars would accomplish enough to get through alpha/beta testing to give them feedback.