Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Calling to "gas the Jews" should be considered grossly offensive by all sane people.
    Why are you saying gas the jews? you're a horrible person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Calling to "gas the Jews" should be considered grossly offensive by all sane people.
    Agree.

But here's the thing. Do you trust the state to be the arbitrator of what is offensive and what is not?

Is this guy a complete fuckknuckle? Absolutely. Was what he did funny? Not unless you're an idiot.

Should he go to jail? Definitely not.

There is a solid history of laws (such as these) being applied in quite different fashions depending on the 'crisis' of the day. One day it's some idiot with his dog, the next it's a trade union seeking to organise, minority groups, and so on.

As a leftist, I ask you this: Do you trust the state to determine reasonably what hate speech is?

Quote Originally Posted by Setheria View Post
    Agree.

But here's the thing. Do you trust the state to be the arbitrator of what is offensive and what is not?

Is this guy a complete fuckknuckle? Absolutely. Was what he did funny? Not unless you're an idiot.

Should he go to jail? Definitely not.

There is a solid history of laws (such as these) being applied in quite different fashions depending on the 'crisis' of the day. One day it's some idiot with his dog, the next it's a trade union seeking to organise, minority groups, and so on.

As a leftist, I ask you this: Do you trust the state to determine reasonably what hate speech is?
    And here lies the problem. If this guy was legitimately a nazi calling for violence, that's one thing, but his video was obviously a joke. But this dimwitted judge didn't have the sense to realize this.

If I was living in the UK I probably wouldn't want to play cards against humanity. Fuck that.

So in the UK we arrest internet trolls and require you to have ID to buy energy drinks, yet paedophile rings and human traffickers can still operate.

Quote Originally Posted by Spryte View Post
    So in the UK we arrest internet trolls and require you to have ID to buy energy drinks, yet paedophile rings and human traffickers can still operate.
    What internet troll is going to pay off the police?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post

It used to be the case that they could be taken to the supreme court but maybe it got changed.
    As far as I know, the Supreme Court has only dealt with civil cases from Scotland. The only time the supreme courts will get involved is if it's a breach of human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post

I didn't think that sheriff courts could set precedents unless you meant they would try and get away with it in the future.
    High Court of Justiciary can take over the case from Sheriff Courts. I was more meaning that any case like this that came up in future could look back on this case as a basis for deciding what to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spryte View Post
    I can go better than that. How about putting registered sex offenders right next to a fucking primary school. One of the guys in my block of flats is a registered sex offender for touching young girls and he can see into the school playground from his flat window.... or he could until we found out about it and ran him the fuck out of the town. Vile fucking beast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Make me wonder if I tell a certain joke out loud, what would happen??

For reference:

"Location: Scottishlands"

You're taking a very real risk living where you are and posting what you just posted. I assume by flipping through your post history someone would be able to tell who you are and tell the local authorities what you've posted.

There was a fellow in the UK around.. I think 2013 who said on facebook "my computer takes so long to shut down I'm going to start calling it Mandella" and his PC was seized, he was detained for 8 hours over it. They couldn't charge him because there "wasn't enough evidence" but they certainly tried.

You're joking around but that is seriously a risk you should not take.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    I would love to see most of the closet racist of this thread reacting to a video where a black man would do the same with a dog reacting to "kill the whites" MUH JUST A JOKE BRUH !!!
    It would be offensive, but not criminal, in my opinion. Exactly like this.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    the less limits, the better.

obviously, there's some things that pose a direct danger. a threat("i'm gonna kill you" etc.), fire in the movie theater, those kinds of things are reasonable. everything else should be permitted.
    It is really not "free speech" that is important, it is "freedom to express your opinion" that needs to be protected.
    The former comes with all kinds of problems (like fraud) and is really only there to protect the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by oland138 View Post
    This was a great way of proving a point that probably won't get the credit it deserves.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    This was a great way of proving a point that probably won't get the credit it deserves.
    Too bad that he wasted it on Elba. No one should waste serious responses on Elba.

Deleted

If I was living in the UK I probably wouldn't want to play cards against humanity. Fuck that.
    Wonder if youd be arrested for playing Cards Against Humanity in a pub.

Its probably "Grossly offensive" to someone

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually wondering if the people in this thread that think this is justified would also be nonplussed if someone like pewdiepie was suddenly arrested for the nazi jokes he's done in the past.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-increase.html

Apparently 1209 convictions last year...
    Victim of a twitter troll...

Holy shit, turn off your fucking computer and go for a walk.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Too bad that he wasted it on Elba. No one should waste serious responses on Elba.
    Yep, it's still funny every time I go into a thread and see that everyone in the thread is destroying him though.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Yep, it's still funny every time I go into a thread and see that everyone in the thread is destroying him though.
    They are not destroying him though, he just says his own and ignores everything else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    People are still saying this shit 22 pages in? No one is saying context doesn't matter. Just that the context doesn't always justify what was said. Which is what the court determined in this case. If anything, the context is what got him in trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think pedophiles should be allowed to tell children what they want to do them?

Or do you agree that some speech should probably be limited? I'll assume you're not a sick minded individual and agree with the latter, contradicting your statement. So, can we move past this "no speech should cost people their liberty in a civilized society" crap?

- - - Updated - - -

I seriously wonder how any poster saying this tiring shit made it past middle school.

- - - Updated - - -

Saying something is a joke doesn't excuse a crime. Hard concept I know.
    Another he hurt my feelings

Destroying a troll is actually victory for the troll.

- - - Updated - - -

Aww shit you said it too...
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

It was a tasteless joke but a joke non the less...

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    People are still saying this shit 22 pages in? No one is saying context doesn't matter. Just that the context doesn't always justify what was said. Which is what the court determined in this case. If anything, the context is what got him in trouble.
    I'll say it - the context in this specific case doesn't matter. The Youtube video is a very obvious joke, but I don't really care about that - even if it was a 100% sincere attempt to turn a cute little pug into a goosestepping, Sig Heiling, Hitler-loving, Jew gassing neo-Nazi, I would still say that this is well within the basic rights of a free, liberal society. I actually don't even think it's particularly close to the line where suppressing speech becomes reasonable as there is no materially harmed individual.

But sure, it is true that nations have a right to set laws other than what I'd expect in a free, liberal society. All they lose in the process is any legitimate claim to being free and liberal.