Need someone familiar with Hind food, language, and cultures?

My neighbor has invited me to a party this weekend for his daughter who is getting married.

They're going to have a "Garba" which as I understand it is a dance for everyone, a party?

But I don't want to seem rude and would like to bring a dish. I know, no meat, but if anyone can give me some sort of direction as to what they'd like to see, I'd really appreciate it! (they didn't ask for anything, but I don't want to go empty handed)

Title: Hindi Food*
    Last edited by whynotchris; 2018-03-22 at 07:05 AM. Reason: messed up title

I had no idea that Hinds had culture and cuisine now! :P

Dahl is pretty easy to make in large amounts, and have been popular with my social gatherings.

Well if there's a local Indian store you can go there and see what they have.

Indian sweets include things like halwa (a sweet dessert made of carrots), jalebi (imagine a sweet pretzel covered in syrup) or kulfi (sort of like ice cream). Off the top of my head.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Bring something to drink. Anything you make they will probably make better.
    This is probably the best advice, provided they drink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't hurt to bring sparkling water as a beverage if you feel compelled.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Halwa is made out of carrots? I thought Indian Halwa is similar to Greek, thus made of semolina or other coarse wheat.

Anyway Halwa is a delicious dessert. It's easy to make but tiresome (you can't stop stirring or it will blow all over your kitchen). You can also flavor it however you want by changing the syrup.
    I was thinking of the carrot one, but actually I think you're right and there's a lot of "halwas" in India.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a drink or dessert would be better and more universal than a main dish- also you can bring flowers or some sort of host gift instead.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Well you can probably add carrots in a halwa, heck you can add anything you can chop in it; semolina is very firm after all.
    I think they use the term "halwa" for at least two very different things, carrot halwa is like a pudding made of carrots:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gajar_ka_halwa

Not like the other "halwa", which are like little firm cakes.

I don't know much about Hindi culture. I did alot of business with India however. My experience was, they are really really hard to offend and they take pride in being cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

10+ Year Old Account
    For background, these might help:

http://web.stanford.edu/~gopi/personal/wedding/faq/

Notice an important point about food:
    There will be Indian vegetarian food at all of the wedding events. More specifically, the food will be Jain since some members of our families follow strict Jain diets. This means there will be no root vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, onions, etc. nor will there be any eggs, meat or alcohol. The basis for a Jain diet is a religious belief that treats all living things with respect. (Don't worry - we've tried the food, and it's quite tasty!)
    A more general article: https://www.brides.com/story/what-sh...indian-wedding

That one has some advice about gifts:
    Gifts

"No box gifts" instructions are commonly found at the bottom of Indian wedding invitations. "Typically there’s reverse-gifting at Indian weddings," says Shah. "You get a gift as a guest like a party favor."

Though it may seem out of line with other concerns of propriety in an Indian wedding, the gift of choice, if a couple does want one, is usually money. But always make sure the amount ends in a one, advises Shah. "In our culture, the best of things end in one," she expands. "So you'd never gift $100. You'd do $101."
    Youtube is blocked here, but I gather this might have useful dance video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV5IsGBk0VM

It never hurts to go into something like this prepared. It sounds like they may be from Gujarat, so do a quick read up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gujarat
    A broader read about India in general might also help.

If you need an excuse to get really drunk in the name of educating yourself ... I'm sure someone can steer you towards something Bollywood.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Bleh. Those things kept overflying my high school (base was in the next village). We kinda liked that teachers had to stop midsentence, but after a while it was just plain annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Fucking Hind D.

Snake... SNAAAAKKKKEEE!!!