Thread: Male Rape on TV

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arent View Post
    It's how the men questioned ... blah blah blah ... protecting our partners from being raped by other men.
    Doesn't make perfect sense. You can put together the biggest word salad in the world, won't matter: rape is not "no big deal".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    I've not said it would be the same. I've said I'm dubious that it's "no big deal".

Evolution related data is all well and good, but your conclusions here are also based on what guys have said when asked about rape. Therefore you can't discount the realities of gender role expectations and toxic masculinity.

I'm not suggesting it's either or, and neither should you.
    Fine you can argue that, some of those response could be socially influenced, but I can assure you that from what we know about evolutionary psychology, men won't experience rape the same as women, and that's not due to "toxic masculinity"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Doesn't make perfect sense. You can put together the biggest word salad in the world, won't matter: rape is not "no big deal".
    TIL: MMO champion is no better than creationists, that deny evolution just to fit their world view.

You are pretending I am the one who made these hypothesis up and not well acredited peer reviewed scientists and researchers in the field.

Just take Evolutionary Psych 101, it's all there, this isn't some fringe theory.

7+ Year Old Account
    TIL: MMO champion is no better than creationists, that deny evolution just to fit their world view.

You are pretending I am the one who made these hypothesis up and not well acredited peer reviewed scientists and researchers in the field.

Just take Evolutionary Psych 101, it's all there, this isn't some fringe theory.
    LOL what the fuck are you going on about?

Deleted
    LOL what the fuck are you going on about?
    You are saying I am barfing out word salad when I am just relaying to you some very basic information regarding sexual mating strategies when it comes to evolutionary psychology.

Just because you disregard/misunderstand credible science doesn't make it word salad.

That's all I am saying

7+ Year Old Account
    You are saying I am barfing out word salad when I am just relaying to you some very basic information regarding sexual mating strategies when it comes to evolutionary psychology.

Just because you disregard/misunderstand credible science doesn't make it word salad.

That's all I am saying
    And as I already said, no amount of word salad is going to convince me that rape is "no big deal". That's all I am saying.

Deleted
    And as I already said, no amount of word salad is going to convince me that rape is "no big deal". That's all I am saying.
    I didn't say rape isn't a big deal. That's strawmanning what I've said.

I said that for certain men, in their own words when asked to rate how being raped has influenced their lives, they put it as "None, it hasn't influenced my life at all".

I NEVER said rape isn't a big deal.

Maybe I started out by being a bit hyperbolic, but I never claimed that, I merely stated that men and women don't experience rape equivalently.

7+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say rape isn't a big deal. That's strawmanning what I've said.

I said that for certain men, in their own words when asked to rate how being raped has influenced their lives, they put it as "None, it hasn't influenced my life at all".

I NEVER said rape isn't a big deal.

Maybe I started out by being a bit hyperbolic, but I never claimed that, I merely stated that men and women don't experience rape equivalently.
    I responded to the following:
    More than half of men say that it was an unpleasant experience, but it wasn't a big deal.
    That particular comment makes me laugh at the ridiculous notion it presents. The notion is ridiculous.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2018-03-22 at 02:10 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will take "No Shit" for $200 Alex.

Deleted
    To clarify, men DO experience negative consequences due to rape, they have a higher rate of drinking, higher cholesterol, higher drug use, etc

HOWEVER when the two data sets were compared in a meta analysis, men seemed to have less negative psychological consequences especially in heterosexual rape, Male on Male rape was more comparable, but still women on average suffered more.

The lack of respect...that's what hurts the most...except for the other thing, that hurts the most...but the lack of respect hurts the second most. Ridiculous...way out of line.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Deleted
    Why does MMO Champion not understand what a statistical average is?

I don't understand why bringing up that men and women are different is so controversial.

Fine you can argue that, some of those response could be socially influenced, but I can assure you that from what we know about evolutionary psychology, men won't experience rape the same as women, and that's not due to "toxic masculinity"
    Again, I have never claimed the experience is the same, I am refuting that it's "no big deal" for men.

If you are so well versed on the subject of evolutionary psychology influences on rape, it's disappointing that you are so dismissive of toxic masculinity.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Exactly which is why I actually congratulate this... It's an important issue often overlooked and misunderstood
    First we get all the women coming forward first and make sure they are comfortable reporting rape and sexual assault and then we will get to the males. Woman deserve it more because (depends on what you believe in) they have been victims for between 6000 and 1 million years. Yes that does mean they deserve more help (if they need it). Bigger fish to fry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    First we get all the women coming forward first and make sure they are comfortable reporting rape and sexual assault and then we will get to the males. Woman deserve it more because (depends on what you believe in) they have been victims for between 6000 and 1 million years. Yes that does mean they deserve more help (if they need it). Bigger fish to fry.
    The world can't handle addressing rape issues across both genders at the same time? Please.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Again, I have never claimed the experience is the same, I am refuting that it's "no big deal" for men.

If you are so well versed on the subject of evolutionary psychology influences on rape, it's disappointing that you are so dismissive of toxic masculinity.
    Define toxic masculinity because that's not a serious term in any scientific circle.

I've done some reading on the subject. It's not my area of study. I am pursuing micro-biology and wish to specialize in applied genetics after my 4 year programme at university is done, so evolutionary psychology is not entirely foreign to what I want to pursue and specialize in, but I wouldn't claim to be an expert.

It just bothers me when people essentially claim we are a non sexually dimorphic species, newflash we aren't.

Dimorphism influences behaviour in every sexually dimorphic species, humans are no different.

Outside of the niche realm of some sociological circles most people who actually study these phenomena would laugh at the idea of toxic masculinity

- - - Updated - - -

I've had enough of MMO-C for a while, might check back on this cluster fuck of a thread later though
    Last edited by mmoc797e9b2396; 2018-03-22 at 02:25 PM.

Deleted
    It's how the men questioned answered the question of how rape has affected their lives, it was literally "None", "Not much" for more than half of questioned men.

There is no book on why rape is "no big deal" nor should there be.

But I am saying that the negative experience of being raped stems from evolution, if it wer simply a man sticking one of his appendages into a non descript hole on a female without the millions of years of evolution...

Women evolved to experience rape negatively, it means for them that they might be forced to have children with men who are unfit mates. Women who avoided getting raped had a greater chance of passing on their genes because they got the chance to pick a better partner, wih potentially more desirable traits and one who would actuslly contribute resources to their offspring.

Meaning that women who successfully avoided rape encounters passed on their genes more often than those who didn't.

Makes perfect evolutionary sense, men didn't need to develop this way, because we sre not the ones who risk 9 months of pregnancy and then get tied down to the child for years. We experienced different issues, we were more concerned with not having our partner cheat on us, and becoming increasingly more adapt at making sure the child was actually fathered by us, also meaning protecting our partners from being raped by other men.
    I need to restrain myself from insulting you here.

Women did not evolve shit, nor did men. We basically have not evolved from our ancestors some 10-12k years ago, modern DNA findings support this as well.

What did happen, and what always have been the case however, is that it is seen as much much worse by society if a woman is raped. Why?

Because for thousands of years women had to carry to social stigma of being:

- Weak and/or Frail
    - Intellectually inferior and incapable of handling their own decisions
    - Mentally unstable compared to men, google hysteria
    - Their bodies were considered pure and precious, and to be need kept in a pristine state as to not lower their "value". Largely because men were grossed
    out by the idea of sticking their penis into a hole that another man had been, it's beyond retarded.

All this lead to immense ammounts of shame and a feeling of being powerless. And this is something that is echoed to this day, women are daily shamed for the number of people they've slept with. In many cultures a non-virgin is unfit for marriage and is usually wed of to an older person, if they even get wed at all. To add to this, untill the early 1900's, Women were considered the property of their fathers and then their husbands, they never became legal adults.

If you can't grasp that evolution had nothing to do with this shit, but instead men looking to controll and monoplize their power over women were... Then you're ignorant.

Today, thankfully, in most of the western world this power structure is mostly torn down, and women are now free and allowed the same rights as men. But the shame lives on, the social stigma around the purity of their bodies and about how they have been tainted or not, largely remains unchanged.

For some reason, even modern men and women seem to think that a vagina has durability or something, that if you use it to many times with to many different men it breaks or becomes sick or whatever idiotic thinking is applied. The same stigma is nowhere to be seen with men... Mindboggling.
    Our genitals are made to have sex, they will not deteriorate, or become tainted, or become broken or whatever other stupid concept, in fact, by NOT using them they will become more liable to stop functioning properly as the brain will deem it as less important to maintain functions you dont make use of.

I can go on and on, but know this, I am strongly opposed the man-hating pisscontest that modern feminism has devolved into, but I know my historical facts and I know all the good that feminism has once done for women AND men.
    But this is the day and age were we need to focus on people, no whatever fleshy bits dangle between your legs and stop buying into this stupid as hell notion that men and women are somehow different in how they deal with things, we arent, society has just put varying grades of shame on us.

It's the same bullshit spouted around that black people should be more aggressive because they have slightly higher levels of testosterone... guess what? Shit dont work like that.

Stop trying to differentiate and blame people, and instead lets try and fix the horrible stupid shit we're all sick and tired of. Racism, hatred, Extremism, misogyny, misandry and so forth....

Why are people so desperatly looking for someone to blame instead of trying to just be a better person instead? You wont fix assholes by hating them, they became the person they are for a reason. There is nearly never a case of changing an adult being, the focus needs to be on better childcare and education.

But no, hatred is the easier way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    I need to restrain myself from insulting you here.

Women did not evolve shit, nor did men. We basically have not evolved from our ancestors some 10-12k years ago, modern DNA findings support this as well.

What did happen, and what always have been the case however, is that it is seen as much much worse by society if a woman is raped. Why?

Because for thousands of years women had to carry to social stigma of being:

- Weak and/or Frail
    - Intellectually inferior and incapable of handling their own decisions
    - Mentally unstable compared to men, google hysteria
    - Their bodies were considered pure and precious, and to be need kept in a pristine state as to not lower their "value". Largely because men were grossed
    out by the idea of sticking their penis into a hole that another man had been, it's beyond retarded.

All this lead to immense ammounts of shame and a feeling of being powerless. And this is something that is echoed to this day, women are daily shamed for the number of people they've slept with. In many cultures a non-virgin is unfit for marriage and is usually wed of to an older person, if they even get wed at all. To add to this, untill the early 1900's, Women were considered the property of their fathers and then their husbands, they never became legal adults.

If you can't grasp that evolution had nothing to do with this shit, but instead men looking to controll and monoplize their power over women were... Then you're ignorant.

Today, thankfully, in most of the western world this power structure is mostly torn down, and women are now free and allowed the same rights as men. But the shame lives on, the social stigma around the purity of their bodies and about how they have been tainted or not, largely remains unchanged.

For some reason, even modern men and women seem to think that a vagina has durability or something, that if you use it to many times with to many different men it breaks or becomes sick or whatever idiotic thinking is applied. The same stigma is nowhere to be seen with men... Mindboggling.
    Our genitals are made to have sex, they will not deteriorate, or become tainted, or become broken or whatever other stupid concept, in fact, by NOT using them they will become more liable to stop functioning properly as the brain will deem it as less important to maintain functions you dont make use of.

I can go on and on, but know this, I am strongly opposed the man-hating pisscontest that modern feminism has devolved into, but I know my historical facts and I know all the good that feminism has once done for women AND men.
    But this is the day and age were we need to focus on people, no whatever fleshy bits dangle between your legs and stop buying into this stupid as hell notion that men and women are somehow different in how they deal with things, we arent, society has just put varying grades of shame on us.

It's the same bullshit spouted around that black people should be more aggressive because they have slightly higher levels of testosterone... guess what? Shit dont work like that.

Stop trying to differentiate and blame people, and instead lets try and fix the horrible stupid shit we're all sick and tired of. Racism, hatred, Extremism, misogyny, misandry and so forth....

Why are people so desperatly looking for someone to blame instead of trying to just be a better person instead? You wont fix assholes by hating them, they became the person they are for a reason. There is nearly never a case of changing an adult being, the focus needs to be on better childcare and education.

But no, hatred is the easier way.
    "Women did not evolve shit, nor did men. We basically have not evolved from our ancestors some 10-12k years ago, modern DNA findings support this as well."

Stopped reading right there because:

1. Evolution never stops and there have been serious adaptations since then

2. An aversion to being raped goes further back than that, females in other species have evolved to prevent/deal with rape too, it is observed all over the animal kingdom, carrying an undesirable mate's offspring is a big negative for the chances of the survival of your genes.

This behaviour didn't start evolving "10-12k years ago", It has been evolving as long as sexual dimorphism has existed.

Now this is what I call a word salad. I wish I could put a turbine on the corpses of all the dead evolutionary biologists spinning in their graves right now, the surplus of energy would satisfy all our energetic needs.

Some simple reproductive theory for the laymen here, the more the species gravitates towards the k Type on the r/k selection axis, the bigger the ramifications for being raped, hence more evolutionary counter measures.

Humans are one of the most K type species on the planet.
    Last edited by mmoc797e9b2396; 2018-03-22 at 02:48 PM.

Deleted
    Tolerate group of people that put men and female rape in one basket? No way.

If men is raped by female - I am so sorry, but you are just a milk boy.

Quote Originally Posted by crakks View Post
    Tolerate group of people that put men and female rape in one basket? No way.

If men is raped by female - I am so sorry, but you are just a milk boy.
    Men are raped by other men.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Define toxic masculinity because that's not a serious term in any scientific circle.

I've done some reading on the subject. It's not my area of study. I am pursuing micro-biology and wish to specialize in applied genetics after my 4 year programme at university is done, so evolutionary psychology is not entirely foreign to what I want to pursue and specialize in, but I wouldn't claim to be an expert.

It just bothers me when people essentially claim we are a non sexually dimorphic species, newflash we aren't.

Dimorphism influences behaviour in every sexually dimorphic species, humans are no different.

Outside of the niche realm of some sociological circles most people who actually study these phenomena would laugh at the idea of toxic masculinity

- - - Updated - - -

I've had enough of MMO-C for a while, might check back on this cluster fuck of a thread later though
    A) AGAIN, I have not argued it's the same. You seem to keep bringing it back to this, even though it's never been there except in your head. I guess you are doing this because otherwise you can't try to make your argument?

B) If you don't know what toxic masculinity is and consider it "not a serious term", I'm starting to believe the benefit of the doubt I gave you by assuming you were discussing in good faith was a waste of time on my part.

C) I like how you're cutting out and making no guarantees of a return. I.e. turning tail and running because you know you stirred a pot you don't know how to handle.

D) If you think this thread is a "cluster fuck", you may want to avoid the rest of MMO-C lest you put your mental health at risk.