Thread: Male Rape on TV

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    This is a great thing congratulations to BBC for taking the step forward, I hope this issue becomes taken a lot more serious.
    It's actually ITV but I can understand the confusion

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    A) AGAIN, I have not argued it's the same. You seem to keep bringing it back to this, even though it's never been there except in your head. I guess you are doing this because otherwise you can't try to make your argument?

B) If you don't know what toxic masculinity is and consider it "not a serious term", I'm starting to believe the benefit of the doubt I gave you by assuming you were discussing in good faith was a waste of time on my part.

C) I like how you're cutting out and making no guarantees of a return. I.e. turning tail and running because you know you stirred a pot you don't know how to handle.

D) If you think this thread is a "cluster fuck", you may want to avoid the rest of MMO-C lest you put your mental health at risk.
    On the subject of B. I work in the realm of biology and I have an interest in psychology.

I don't regard sociology very highly.

As for everything else. I am literally going to a dentist rn to get 2 of my teeth pulled out, so yeah cba rn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    There was a law and order SVU storyline about a male rape victim over 10 years ago, I don't know why it's suddenly a big deal.
    I explained why on page 1

Coronation Street... what are you... 90?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arent View Post
    I'll be honest men being raped is not psychologically the same as women getting raped. I've seen a few studies, most men are not traumatised if they are raped in adulthood, where as women are. Something like 13% of male adult rape victims respond that their rape has Greatly negatively impacted their life as opposed to 71% of women. A large number of men almost a third respond that that they suffer no psychological consequences from being raped as opposed to single digit women.

More than half of men say that it was an unpleasant experience, but it wasn't a big deal.

Not saying it's not an issue, but we're built differently. It's not the same for men.
    That sounds like the complete opposite to reality - Perhaps women raping men but definitely not men raping men

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sage89 View Post
    Rape is rape and it's sad no matter who the victims are.
    I agree rape is rape but unfortunately one type is more addressed than the other and that's wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    I was actually screamed at by some feminists when I brought up male rape. They said its impossible.
    You'll find a lot of guys here will say the same thing.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    Again I feel the need to say this again

The article isn't say Coronation Street did it first, in fact it even says this. What is saying is that this is the first time for a major mainstream British soap to address it. (Granted Emmerdale did a father-son rape story but that was off-screen). Yes numerous other shows have done it but usually post-watershed (8pm) and usually shows targetted towards 18-50 crowd. Coronation Street is targetted to families and the elderly, a demographic that likely have never discussed male rape but seen it on TV and the after affects

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    That sounds like the complete opposite to reality - Perhaps women raping men but definitely not men raping men

- - - Updated - - -

I agree rape is rape but unfortunately one type is more addressed than the other and that's wrong
    I do agree with that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    First we get all the women coming forward first and make sure they are comfortable reporting rape and sexual assault and then we will get to the males. Woman deserve it more because (depends on what you believe in) they have been victims for between 6000 and 1 million years. Yes that does mean they deserve more help (if they need it). Bigger fish to fry.
    1. People can tackle multiple issues saying otherwise is ridiculous
    2. Men have been victims of rape for as long as women
    3. Rape is rape, the help and public perception should be equal

It's weird that the conversation is about female on male rape...when the subject is actually about male on male rape:

The scenes, which see newcomer Josh Tucker drug and sexually assault hairdresser David Platt
    I'm not dismissing the seriousness of female on male rape...but it's not the issue presented here.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Rape isn't exclusive to women... who will protect the trees from tree huggers?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    It's weird that the conversation is about female on male rape...when the subject is actually about male on male rape:

I'm not dismissing the seriousness of female on male rape...but it's not the issue presented here.
    Yeah I don't really know why people keep assuming all male rape is woman on man