Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    I bet you're fun at parties!
    I'm a blast, I always dress in costume.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm an American, but I've been in China for the last 18 years. I enjoy it and plan on staying here.

If I had to pick someplace other than one of those? I'd consider heading back to Germany, over to Austria (Carinthia), Northern Italy, Bhutan, Mongolia, Mauritius or any of a number of other places.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2018-03-23 at 02:10 AM. Reason: blanked on Mauritius may need coffee
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    I'm an American, but I've been in China for the last 18 years. I enjoy it and plan on staying here.

If I had to pick someplace other than one of those? I'd consider heading back to Germany, over to Austria (Carinthia), Northern Italy, Bhutan, Mongolia, Mauritius or any of a number of other places.
    interesting, what made u move to china?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    if u were going to live in another country which country would u want it to be?
    Realistically, Germany.

Otherwise Switzerland or Norway.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Canada, Japan, Great Britain, Germany, Austarlia, or Spain, in descending order.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo
    what made u move to china?
    A number of factors lined up.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s. My family had vague connections with China going back to the tea trade, so I also grew up seeing things like curios that my great grandmother kept and hearing talk about family members who had done things like serving with the Flying Tigers. I had a long standing interest in history, enough to earn an MA and to do special readings on Chinese history, but it was a place that seemed I would never get a chance to see.

Various health conditions caused me to shift my caseload over to my partner and enroll in an experimental program using TCM to treat chronic pain. It was administered through the local hospital's chronic pain clinic and overseen by the usual AMA certified physicians, but they had lucked out and recruited a Chinese doctor with a strong international background. She had worked in Tokyo and New York, her English was quite good, but she was working with a lot of older patients who couldn't adjust to her fairly mild accent. She asked if I would mind helping her practice her English, and since I was spending hours at a time planked out, stuck full of needles, and getting repeated shocks ... I figured I could spare the time. After a couple of weeks she asked if I'd ever thought of teaching in China. I hadn't but one of my undergraduate degrees is in Foreign Languages & International Trade, so I was familiar with things like the JET program. She explained that she thought it would be harmful for me to go back into practice (I'd already been told by the American doctors that I wouldn't live past 50) and recommended I take the chance to go to China where I could continue treatment. My caseload was already clear, I had the freedom to do it, I was going to kick the bucket in a few years ... so why not do it?

I came over, enjoyed my students, enjoyed getting to see things first hand, and one year turned into 18 because I keep forgetting to die.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Japan. Have lived there, would return in a heartbeat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably Norway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Singapore /10 char

There are a lot of countries I would like to live in.

Idk about forever, since things change and I like to see different places, but there's probably a couple dozen countries I'd enjoy quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    Singapore /10 char
    Good choice, I approve.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post

I would like to come back to China and do something like this.

https://homeworlddesign.com/traditio...ng-inner-city/

I wanted to do a Siheyuan house when we built out house in 2014, but my wife vetoed me (one of the few times she ever did that). She said if we ever need to sell it, it will be a hard.

Stood in the Fire The5thVegetable's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Probably Australia! I would've said England, buuut... Yeah.

Also, to all of you who say Japan, don't forget to say goodbye to 90% of everything that isn't your work life!
    Why do I even bother to post on this damned site?

Greece - specifically Thessaloniki. The people there are just.... perfect for my mental and physical tastes.

Plus i love the flow, look and sound of the language

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently live in Denmark where I was born and raised. But thanks to a woman I might end up moving to Canada in a very near future. If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t want to move anywhere else to be honest. A big bonus is that the political climate and general spirit (for lack of better term) of Canada seem a lot closer to my own country where common sense still is a thing than to that of its closest neighbor.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    My wife wants to move back to Germany. I'd like Australia if their internet wasn't terrible and everything wasn't trying to kill you. Ireland or Canada would be my next choices.

Probably back to Greece. Most of my family is still there, and for better or for worse, it will always be home to me, no matter where I may roam.

I'd prefer to go back to Epirus, to Ioannina than be in Athens, though.

But if I had anywhere else open as a choice as well, I'd say Norway and Israel would be on my short list, Norway for the scenery and good public and social infrastructure, Israel for the similar weather to Greece and the history. Tel Aviv seems like a fun city, and Israeli girls...

I've always had an interest in the Central Asian steppe as well, but that's a hard lifestyle in many countries there. But it'd be nice to visit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting question.
    I've been to all EU countries, some multiple times.

So...Italy, easy.
    It feels like a better version of my country.
    Similar weather, people, history, but with better roads and prettier urban areas.

You could say the same for southern France.

I remember Belgium was quite cosy as well. So add that to the list as well.

I could live in the UK, but the weather just makes you wanna kill yourself.

Bavaria in Germany also looks pretty. But i'm not the "german" type of perfect citizen. So no.

I havent been to America/Asia/Africa/Oceania, appart from a couple countries.
    But from what i've heard, i could only live in USA, Canada, Korea, Australia, New Zealand, out of all of them.
    Japan would be tempting, for a change, but i'm really too honest and expressive for their society. So no.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2018-03-23 at 04:09 AM.

I have only been to three different countries: Jamaica, United States, and Mexico. I can certainly say that I would never want to live in Mexico, nor Jamaica.

From various YouTube videos and books; I'd be cool living in Vietnam, Hong Kong, Sweden, or maybe New Zealand. Somewhere close to a large body of water.

According to 23andme "my paternal line descends from Haplogroup RM-198 a lineage that is common in people of Ashkenazi Jewish descent" and I have a 4 generation or higher grandparent on my Dad's side who was 100% Ashkenazi Jewish. I'd live in the Jewish State of Israel and slowly work my magic completely seducing the Jewish womenz...