Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    No, those are the Pelosi-ites that call thousand dollar bonuses "crumbs" because their only lens into everyday, ground level USA is government programs, not people enjoying the fruits of their own labor.
    Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the GOP calling 450k a year "middle class". Also, couldn't help but notice the lack of context when corporations are getting hundreds of millions, 96+% of employed Americans don't even get "crumbs", and the GOP can't decide whether spending too much is a problem but agrees that cutting back taxes by a larger amount is a-okay.

But no,you keep pretending the GOP's class war isn't the problem, it's Pelosi pointing it out that's the problem. It's cute. It's adorable. You still taking that Russian-flavored Kool Aid from the NRA? That's neat. Oh, and, ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Pretty sure there's enough in this budget to actually fund that.
    Yep. Well sort of. That claim about the smalled fleet in 100 years is so stupid though.

Today's Navy is vastly more powerful than the one we had 25 years ago. Incomparable really. Sure, Reagan tried to build a 600 ship navy. And today we have a 278 ship Navy that relies on the most advanced warships ever built, armed with the most advanced weapons ever built. One modern Destroyer can do what an entire squadron of them would have been able to do 40 years ago, and better. And it's the same with aircraft. Two F/A-18Es in 2018 can do what an entire carrier wing of F/A-18Cs would have been able to do in the mid 1980s.

GPS. Technology. Sensors. Better missiles etc.

The fleet is also "so small" because the US Navy is OBSESSED with shipbuilding (in order to keep the defense industrial base alive, which it is paranoid of further destroying), rather than upgrading and maintaining its older ships. The backbone of the US Navy right now is it's 70-something Arleigh Burke Class Aegis Destroyers, which are larger and far more powerful than ships that used to be cruisers. What the US Navy lacks is numerous "frigates" in half to one-third the size of a destroyer displacement range. A quick way to get to 350 ships would be to build 60 of those. But the Navy is partially afraid that the US Navy could make so many of those, so capable, so affordable, it would kill the Destroyer as a concept.

It is true, the US Navy has to be larger. Far larger. The Naval need is for 420 ships, that the 350 ship Navy won't meet. But much of that is for ships far smaller than the large surface combatants being built. The US Navy needs a modest number MORE of those than it was planning on recieving - around 10-20. Nothing big. But it is buying far too few of the frigates that could be mini-destroyers in a sense, that would grow the fleet numerically. It plans to buy 20, not 80.

It's an interesting thing going on, but Trump's claim is pure nonsense of course. The US has basically reached the end state in the real life RTS we live in where it is building its fleet with nothing but the most powerful and best ships the game has to offer, but is running up against the unit limit. What it does need more of those, but what it really needs is a smaller, cheaper ship to send to places the super ship isn't needed, like Latin America, or routine patrols in the Red Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the GOP calling 450k a year "middle class". Also, couldn't help but notice the lack of context when corporations are getting hundreds of millions, 96+% of employed Americans don't even get "crumbs", and the GOP can't decide whether spending too much is a problem but agrees that cutting back taxes by a larger amount is a-okay.

But no,you keep pretending the GOP's class war isn't the problem, it's Pelosi pointing it out that's the problem. It's cute. It's adorable. You still taking that Russian-flavored Kool Aid from the NRA? That's neat. Oh, and, ignored.
    He's not wrong, that was a foolish and unfair thing for Pelosi to say. If that tax reform bill had cost Americans the same amount they gained, all we would have heard is how devastating it is. It would no longer be "crumbs".

As Paul Ryan said, it'll be the gift that keeps giving.

No, those are the Pelosi-ites that call thousand dollar bonuses "crumbs" because their only lens into everyday, ground level USA is government programs, not people enjoying the fruits of their own labor. As for middle America, that is that flyover place where people generally understand that the permanence of the law, culture, and institutions that define our great experiment depends on solvency, so they tend to resent a national debt that has bloated to ~125% of GDP.
    Considering you've constructed your lenses out of rhetorical bootstraps, "flyover" victimization, and a bullshit concern about a bloated debt, you should probably hold off on criticizing relative financial crumbs.

But you may be too busy walking into walls due to your obstructed view. I get it.

No, those are the Pelosi-ites that call thousand dollar bonuses "crumbs" because their only lens into everyday, ground level USA is government programs, not people enjoying the fruits of their own labor. As for middle America, that is that flyover place where people generally understand that the permanence of the law, culture, and institutions that define our great experiment depends on solvency, so they tend to resent a national debt that has bloated to ~125% of GDP.
    LOL "institutions". Let's talk about Donald J Trump and his respect for institutions, Stormdash. That should be a good one.

Oh yeah, and "the law". Exactly how many Conflict of Interest Waivers were handed out in the White House this time?

So. Full. Of. It. I've seen some laugh statements today, but to declare that a Trump supporter supports Trump AND SIMULTANEOUSLY respects our institutions is the farcest of farces. It's real next level shit.

Oh yeah and if you want to cut our national debt, you must:

-Cut medicare, medicaid and social security, which flyover country disproportionately depends on.
    -Cut subsidies, which flyover country disproportionately depends on.
    -Raise federal taxes, which which flyover country has less resources to pay for.

What you thought that the free lunch would end by cutting back "wasteful spending" of only things you don't like? There is no serious discussion about cutting the debt without going after Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, which will screw the Old, the disabled, the poor and the retired of Iowa, Missouri and Arkansas far, far, far more than it will screw someone living in Massachusetts.

So go ahead. Let's pull back on government spending. We North Eastern elite will be fine. You won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    He's not wrong, that was a foolish and unfair thing for Pelosi to say. If that tax reform bill had cost Americans the same amount they gained, all we would have heard is how devastating it is. It would no longer be "crumbs".

This is a rather ignorant take considering the crumbs were relative to the rest of the benefits in the bill.

You should stop hitching your wagon to Paul Ryan's quotes. You should know why by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Breitbart is on fire right now. Some highlights;

"Oh he is right, his presidency just came to a screeching halt, he can GFH!!! All done with the Trump train, just got run over by it!!"
    "DUMP TRUMP!"
    "I'm done with Trump. He let us down. People were not shouting "Build the Military" at his rally's, they were shouting "BUILD THE WALL"."
    "You just signed your impeachment, enjoy those Democrat Majority's you asshole Lobotomized BASTARD."
    "You lied to us, I see no reason to vote. You Trump are a GUTLESS WORM."
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

And it's done. @Ghostpanther, @Stormdash

Spoiler alert: he will sign a bill exactly like this again (if he remains President). Next year. When a Democratic House and a Republican Senate put largely the same budget on his desk, with 5% across the board increases in spending. Just as they did this year. Just as they did under Obama for years.

I kind of hope he stays President (not really), if only for you to watch him betray you at such regular intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    So go ahead. Let's pull back on government spending. We North Eastern elite will be fine. You won't be.
    I believe Stormdash has previously declared himself a super successful lawyer who has a much greater understanding of the law than everyone else, so, his concern is more about how much he'll get to use those people as a prop than any genuine concern.

10+ Year Old Account
    The emperor already has no clothes
    and now we're being told of a the great feast he's set out for the people

what you cant see it?!?!?

Its glorious, the biggest goose, and sweetest hams, and the best chocolate cake!

Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    I believe Stormdash has previously declared himself a super successful lawyer who has a much greater understanding of the law than everyone else, so, his concern is more about how much he'll get to use those people as a prop than any genuine concern.
    I'm sure he's that.

These Alt-Right people and their internet fake identities.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's not wrong, that was a foolish and unfair thing for Pelosi to say.
    No, it wasn't. The tax bill is simply the latest symptom in a sickness that has seen the gains of the past few decades gravitate into increasingly fewer hands; the benefits it provides to the rich versus everyone else are so disproportionate they may as well be called crumbs.

If that tax reform bill had cost Americans the same amount they gained, all we would have heard is how devastating it is. It would no longer be "crumbs".

Assuming that the tax breaks will be renewed, which is idiotic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

And yet, trump is pushing even bigger debts and deficits... go figure. Where's their outrage now? I'm not hearing a peep from the so-called fiscal conservatives these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Ummm. it is costing Americans... the only difference is that they are either too young to vote to stop it, or have yet to be born.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    This is a rather ignorant take considering the crumbs were relative to the rest of the benefits in the bill.

You should stop hitching your wagon to Paul Ryan's quotes. You should know why by now.
    The value of my wealth changes depending on how much my neighbor has, is what I'm getting here. If I have $1,000, that's a good chunk of change, but if my neighbor has $100,000, wll then, all I've got is crumbs.

The tip of the spear in the tax reform bill was corporate rates, so yes those changes were larger, but complaining about the individual benefits being crumbs because other people got more is a strange way to look at it if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Breitbart is on fire right now. Some highlights;

"Oh he is right, his presidency just came to a screeching halt, he can GFH!!! All done with the Trump train, just got run over by it!!"
    "DUMP TRUMP!"
    "I'm done with Trump. He let us down. People were not shouting "Build the Military" at his rally's, they were shouting "BUILD THE WALL"."
    "You just signed your impeachment, enjoy those Democrat Majority's you asshole Lobotomized BASTARD."
    "You lied to us, I see no reason to vote. You Trump are a GUTLESS WORM."
    I thought Christmas was supposed to be in December.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    The value of my wealth changes depending on how much my neighbor has, is what I'm getting here. If I have $1,000, that's a good chunk of change, but if my neighbor has $100,000, wll then, all I've got is crumbs.
    When we're talking about policy designed to engender economic benefit, the relative gain is entirely relevant.

The tip of the spear in the tax reform bill was corporate rates, so yes those changes were larger, but complaining about the individual benefits being crumbs because other people got more is a strange way to look at it if you ask me.
    Good, as nobody was asking you. We have enough trickle-down monkeys in political office as is without the general public buying into that garbage.

- - - Updated - - -

So, people with no understanding of political science, economics, or that 1789 was more than a century and a half ago.

Gotcha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

You probably weren't asked because, again, it's an entirely ignorant take. You're attempting to remove the context and shoehorn in a different relevancy to fit an argument that no one besides yourself is interested in.

It was sold as a middle class tax cut. You're conveniently forgetting that because, well, shit, come to think of it I don't even know if you really knew that to begin with.

What is it going to take to get it through his thick skull that the wall is a complete waste of money?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    What is it going to take to get it through his thick skull that the wall is a complete waste of money?
    It's not something he would ever publicly acknowledge even if it was possible for him to comprehend logic and reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    The irony of being crushed by a hastily installed wall section that topples over, preferably.