Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quantum entanglement? Instantaneous information transfer over mega-distances.

10+ Year Old Account
    If that is going to happen one day, i say Russian WoW realms should merge with US (for the lols).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    That's what they said about flight.
    LOL... Are you fucking serious?

Quote Originally Posted by SLSAMG View Post
    When you put your mind to it anything is possible, remember.

Anything.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post

Anything.
    Except, this is false... and sort of stupid. It's something I'd expect to see with a Minion on the background of someone who only posts inspirational stuff on facebook.

Anything is definitely not possible. There are definitely limitations to things.

But hey, I'm happy to be proven wrong when we have time travel, and data can be instantly available with 0ms ping, because we already know the future and the information can be sent back in time to provide instant access.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Likely never, see physics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Except, this is false... and sort of stupid. It's something I'd expect to see with a Minion on the background of someone who only posts inspirational stuff on facebook.

Anything is definitely not possible. There are definitely limitations to things.
    Fairly sure it was meant as sarcasm in regards to the post the person reacted to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Fairly sure it was meant as sarcasm in regards to the post the person reacted to.
    I missed the /s then
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Current tech pretty unlikely. Light takes time to travel. A lot of the backbone likely doesn't even let it go that fast. Then it takes time for both ends to process. I would peg 30 to 50ish being what could be done world wide if all governments and telcomm companies put in a huge effort into making it happen. Current tech being key here. But it's not in a lot of their interest to do so.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2018-03-23 at 09:41 PM.

################################
    G################################
    GG################################
    GGG################################
    GGGG################################
    GGGGG################################

Maybe.

A ---------------------------------------------- B

If you can make what happens to A happen to B then maybe that too.

Would have to change data transfer methods from the ground up. You could have the most direct and simple connection to some other endpoint (say a server) and couldn't get 1ms response time if that endpoint is halfway across the world.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post

Anything.
    I guess by your logic that makes lightsabers a possibility?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Satellites are too far away from earth for truely low pings, even with the much lower orbit that SpaceX plans. It'll be "fine", but it won't improve in latency over our current solutions.
    Elon's satellites are supposed to be very-low-orbit ones, very different from 'normal' internet satellites. They will be much closer to Earth's surface, greately reducing main fault of satellite internet - distance.

Still, I recall reading somewhere that such internet was supposed to be provided 5 years ago by high-attitude autonomus solar-powered planes. I think it was Google plan, but don't quote me on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Quantum entanglement? Instantaneous information transfer over mega-distances.
    Actually, when humanity manages to use it, there will be no internet because everything will become a single computer spanning over huge space.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    A ---------------------------------------------- B

If you can make what happens to A happen to B then maybe that too.
    That's how quantum entanglement works. It was already achieved for couple of atoms in lab afaik.

I believe humanity will achieve large-scale quantum teleportation (i.e. teleporting whole human bodies) before we achieve any reliable manned spacefaring technologies.
    Last edited by mmoc8c38b7d291; 2018-03-23 at 10:08 PM.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I guess by your logic that makes lightsabers a possibility?
    This guy was inferring breaking the speed of light. I would hope the sarcasm was obvious You are making me sad!
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Sufficiently advanced technology still has to obey certain rules of the universe.

Not only that, but that rule only applied back when magic was still considered a thing.

If an FTL species showed up tomorrow with technology that we haven't even imagined, give it a week and we'd go "Ok, we don't understand how this machine works but we have a few good ideas. Not magic, just science that we haven't grasped yet."

Deleted
    once we have the technology to have data transmitted via Quantum Entanglement.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Current tech pretty unlikely. Light takes time to travel. A lot of the backbone likely doesn't even let it go that fast. Then it takes time for both ends to process. I would peg 30 to 50ish being what could be done world wide if all governments and telcomm companies put in a huge effort into making it happen. Current tech being key here. But it's not in a lot of their interest to do so.
    Isn't this what the OP is asking?

Everyone answered "When will we have global 1ms Ping" but I think the guy was just asking "when will the world all have the same ping as each other"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Rilch View Post
    They say quantum entanglement actually makes it possible to send information faster than light.

Quantum entanglement cannot be used to transfer data faster than light
    . Check out this article. It's one of many that explain why.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chadorz.../#f9088063a1eb

Here's a video for those that don't want to read:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xI2oNEc1Sw

It does have potential uses for data encryption though.
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2018-03-23 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post

Everyone answered "When will we have global 1ms Ping" but I think the guy was just asking "when will the world all have the same ping as each other"...
    Sadly the answer is likely the same. Never. Unless new revolvionary tech and break through in physics happens.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post

Fortunately the answer to that question is exactly the same as the original question for exactly the same reason.
    Signature not found