Thread: The Division

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    You'd be better off watching a youtube cut/edit of the "story" unless you're a super lore nerd who goes out of the way to find every little scrap of story that's scattered around the game.
    Honestly, all those phone logs etc. that are scattered all over do a pretty fantastic job of world building. Sure, they're not necessarily contributing to the campaign narrative, but they do give a good sense of how things were leading up to shit going down and then during the early days. They remind me a lot of the emails/audio logs you could find on PDA's in Doom 3. Entirely optional stuff that just adds to the story/world.

Also, picking them up at level cap gives absurd amounts of experience for more loot boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Honestly, all those phone logs etc. that are scattered all over do a pretty fantastic job of world building. Sure, they're not necessarily contributing to the campaign narrative, but they do give a good sense of how things were leading up to shit going down and then during the early days. They remind me a lot of the emails/audio logs you could find on PDA's in Doom 3. Entirely optional stuff that just adds to the story/world.

Also, picking them up at level cap gives absurd amounts of experience for more loot boxes.
    The problem with a lot of them is they show more interesting stuff than what goes on to you. Like i'm doing the Underground stuff right now and at lvl.22 out of 40 and i've started finding files left behind revealing the early stories about people 'vanishing' into the tunnels in the night was actually a wild alligator roaming the new york subways depths. cool idea but i really doubt theres a alligator boss waiting for me at lvl.40 in a full 3 phase challenge difficulty expedition y'know?

Don't get me wrong its still good writing compared to shit like Destiny 2's "we are not so different, your traveller and i" or "later haters!" and i'm loving the underground but its still not happening to you.

Kind of like how the opening is amazing but you are in ghost town streets with little panic still going on. Maybe if the rumours of D2 being a second outbreak in a new area are true we could have a bit more 'during the collapse' than after to mix it up.

You'd be better off watching a youtube cut/edit of the "story" unless you're a super lore nerd who goes out of the way to find every little scrap of story that's scattered around the game.
    Is there not a proper campaign or something?

The gunplay is actually quite amazing once you get into the nuance. IMHO it beats the living dogshit out of any other RPG shooter, including Destiny. But then again, I play a PC.
    For me it just doesn't feel good to shoot a gun in this game so far. Others have told me it gets better with gear but so far, eh.

There's just a growing list of things that are keeping me on the fence as I try it out. The only reason I'm even considering it is because its so heavily discounted, because its not drawing me in with its gameplay. I'm imagining my best case scenario with this is to enjoy the story (if there's enough there to be enjoyable, I don't need a masterpiece), maybe fiddle a bit past that and probably drop it as soon as I hit the grind.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Do you guys think the game is worth it for the story?

Been fiddling with the trial and I've barely done anything yet but so far I'm not crazy about the gun play and it looks like the equipment you get doesn't change your appearance and you need separate items for that altogether which is a bit of a turn off.

It'd basically need to be the opposite of destiny 2 for me to think it was worthwhile in that I really enjoyed destiny's play but the story and reward structure was hot garbage. Since I'm not crazy about the gun play I'm curious if the story is good enough to be worth 15$ and the time, and if yes then if the season pass adds to that in a way that's worth another 12$.
    Yes. Game is worth for the world, enviroment and story bits and pieces. While main plot does only a servicable job, all the little side things really just build world. It is NOT new york after epidemic nr 5736 but THE new york after epidemic.

Fantastic locations also

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

That's kind of the point, though. The story is pretty alright, but there's not really any need to play the game to get it, IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there not a proper campaign or something?

For me it just doesn't feel good to shoot a gun in this game so far. Others have told me it gets better with gear but so far, eh.

There's just a growing list of things that are keeping me on the fence as I try it out. The only reason I'm even considering it is because its so heavily discounted, because its not drawing me in with its gameplay. I'm imagining my best case scenario with this is to enjoy the story (if there's enough there to be enjoyable, I don't need a masterpiece), maybe fiddle a bit past that and probably drop it as soon as I hit the grind.
    There's a campaign, and it's not terrible. But it's not all that great either. I personally think the gunplay, cover system, and RPG elements outweigh it. But if you're not feeling it, then I wouldn't spend the 20+ hours to run through the base campaign, since it ends up leaving more questions. They really didn't finish it, and now they're making Division 2.

This is why I recommend maybe watching a youtube supercut of someone else hitting the highlights of the story without actually having to do all the running around the gameworld yourself. Although if the $15 pricetag is chump change for you, it's not really going to hurt you to play it. I don't think you'll feel cheated or anything.

I guess all I'm really saying is that if you don't enjoy the gameplay, then it's probably not worth the tradeoff of time to get the story when there's a cheaper, easier way. :/

There's a campaign, and it's not terrible. But it's not all that great either. I personally think the gunplay, cover system, and RPG elements outweigh it. But if you're not feeling it, then I wouldn't spend the 20+ hours to run through the base campaign, since it ends up leaving more questions. They really didn't finish it, and now they're making Division 2.

This is why I recommend maybe watching a youtube supercut of someone else hitting the highlights of the story without actually having to do all the running around the gameworld yourself. Although if the $15 pricetag is chump change for you, it's not really going to hurt you to play it. I don't think you'll feel cheated or anything.

I guess all I'm really saying is that if you don't enjoy the gameplay, then it's probably not worth the tradeoff of time to get the story when there's a cheaper, easier way. :/
    Well the goals not really the story, its just having something to do and I don't feel like the gameplay itself is going to be enough of a motivator so a decent enough story to play through would need to make up the difference. I just don't see myself grinding at the end of the story or what have you cause the gameplay isn't strong enough.

Is there much story in the DLC (as in do you think the season pass is worthwhile for what I'm describing).

Well the goals not really the story, its just having something to do and I don't feel like the gameplay itself is going to be enough of a motivator so a decent enough story to play through would need to make up the difference. I just don't see myself grinding at the end of the story or what have you cause the gameplay isn't strong enough.

Is there much story in the DLC (as in do you think the season pass is worthwhile for what I'm describing).
    IIRC the season pass just gives you access to things like the Underground(the procedurally generated dungeons) and the PVP map. I can't remember if it lets you play Survival matches, but I don't think you're missing anything there(it's not great).

The cost of the base game + the cost of the Season Pass is exactly the same no matter how you slice it. The "Gold" version of the game is just the base game+pass at $27. On steam the base game is currently $15, and the season pass is $12.

You get all the story via the base game. The rest of the DLC is just added game modes from what I remember.

To be perfectly honest, I think for $27 there's a lot of game there. The Division is WAAAAAAAAY better than it was at launch, and the value is really good for the price. If money isn't a big deal for you, then I'd say it's probably not the worst investment for a timewaster, looter-shooter. It's a hell of a lot better than Destiny 1 or 2. But keep in mind here that it IS a looter-shooter. While the campaign is alright, as I've described, the lion's share of the game is in the loot grind at end-game, and trying out different builds. There's some decent value in exploring and finding every little thing in the game-world, especially if you're the type of player that enjoys that sort of thing. Massive did an AMAZING job of world building and environmental rendering.

If money is tight, I'd probably pass for other games like Vermindtide 2 or DOOM which are also both $30. Or if you REALLY just want gameplay and price, then go play Warframe.

But then again, I've played 400+ hours in The Division since launch, so I've sorta been there, done that.

If its your thing like it is mine you might enjoy The Underground expansion. It is randomly generated subway tunnels with its own levelling system and over 50 audio logs and photos to find telling the stories of like or 6 different people trying to escape from the dollar flu down in the miles and miles or disused and forgotten stations under manhattan.

Personally i've always found the urban explorers trying to get into the old new york subway tunnels that have been closed for decades fascinating since some have been found sealed and pristine like the now famous City Hall station thats been closed since before WW2 by some reports and this expansion is the closest to a game about that sort of thing and you even follow the story of a urbex woman who got lost down their in the chaos thats really interesting if you find that sort of thing interesting.

Gameplay wise its just like diablo 3's rifts where you team up with friends and keep cranking the difficulty up for better rewards but solo is fun too.

If you do not like playing looter games and spending hours to no end to grind for better equipment then this game is nothing for you. The "story" is bland and boring. It basically fits into less than 100 words with every nuance there is. There is no decent storytelling whatsoever. Use your money on a story driven game.
    Last edited by Shanden; 2018-03-25 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanden View Post
    If you do not like playing looter games and spending hours to no end to grind for better equipment then this game is nothing for you. The "story" is bland and boring. It basically fits into less than 100 words with every nuance there is. There is no decent storytelling whatsoever. Use your money on a story driven game.
    I do like looters, and shooters, just the shooting in this game doesn't feel great to me.

Good to know bout the story though.

I do like looters, and shooters, just the shooting in this game doesn't feel great to me.

Good to know bout the story though.
    Try different guns. You might be suprised, but every single model feel different. Some people love one and hate other. I felt in love for LMG, because they are somewhat stead due to their sheer mass. Ofc they start like WH40k orc shoota :P

IMHO the most balanced for effectiveness, at least when I played, was SCAR and the 10shot sniper rifle. SCAR was a laser rifle and the 10shot sniper was the best balance of power and DPS since you could pop 3-4 shots into their head in the time the true sniper rifles took for 1 shot. God forbid you miss with those too...

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Try different guns. You might be suprised, but every single model feel different. Some people love one and hate other. I felt in love for LMG, because they are somewhat stead due to their sheer mass. Ofc they start like WH40k orc shoota :P
    I can't stand SMGs or shotguns (even auto shotty like the showstopper) and love ARs. I'm neutral about LMGs and sniper rifles.

But I know some people swear by LMGs.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Well with Destiny 2 being a burning trash fire and the news of Division 2 being a thing -i honestly thought ubisoft would write the ip off compared to moneymakers like siege- but i realised i never actually player the true endgame because i did the thing where you leave a game for like 6 months and would rather start over than jump into a character whos no longer who they were due to patching.

I finally got my new character, a grumpy looking lady in a paramedic outfit who looks as neat as the character creator allows, and not only hit the level cap again but remembered i got the dlcs and just never tried them. I'm currently lvl.18 in The Underground and my only complaint is not having any friends to do the group content with and having to resort to randos which is never the same. Its what D2's infinite forest should have been and i'm really enjoying it. I've gotten nearly a full set of 6 different green quality gear sets and started to delve into the higher world tiers and its a blast. It feels right now like Destiny post The Taken King. the base game is there but once you beat that helicopter like beating the heart in the black garden a whole new much more fun experience opens up.

I've yet to try survival or the last stand but holy shit has the game gotten better. Sad that sticky bombs became useless but honestly the scatter drone explosive is so much better with a skill cooldown build. Solo'ing challenge runs on the underground are nonestop explosions until one of these 'hunter' enemies show up.

It really does make me want destiny 2 to have more wilderness over city. Everytime i see the map skirt around central park i think about what could have been.
    wait. sticky bombs useless? news to me O_O now, i suck at using them personaly, but my SO has been utilizing them VERY effectively. if you aim them well, and spec right, they hit like a bloody truck.

P.S. because aforementioned So is practically addicted, i finally tried survival with him. mother of god. its fun. nerve wracking but fun, especially when you are teamed up. although.. i would NOT recommend going in blind, and instead watch a few guildes at least. becasue it is very VERY easy and fast to die in survival.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't stand SMGs or shotguns (even auto shotty like the showstopper) and love ARs. I'm neutral about LMGs and sniper rifles.

But I know some people swear by LMGs.
    LGM changed my life. or at least my Division life. I adore them. you do need to kinda build around them because on their own, their reload time takes eternity, but..... earlier in this thread i was having trouble with soloing my way through the story on ps4, right? I picked that character back up recently. crafted her an LMG. the only time I die on her nowadays is when going up against those heavy armored guys that you can only damage with headshots or blowing up their backpacks? you know the ones that just LOVE to kick your turrets >_> and even that becasue I still occasionally vault instead of duck into cover :P

<3 LMG.

I do have AR as my secondary weapon, but 90% of the time, i'm sticking to my LMG anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    LGM changed my life. or at least my Division life. I adore them. you do need to kinda build around them because on their own, their reload time takes eternity, but..... earlier in this thread i was having trouble with soloing my way through the story on ps4, right? I picked that character back up recently. crafted her an LMG. the only time I die on her nowadays is when going up against those heavy armored guys that you can only damage with headshots or blowing up their backpacks? you know the ones that just LOVE to kick your turrets >_> and even that becasue I still occasionally vault instead of duck into cover :P

<3 LMG.

I do have AR as my secondary weapon, but 90% of the time, i'm sticking to my LMG anyways.
    Yeah, you can overpower those guys with raw damage output. Although if you know where to shoot you can ding the little red square(pouch?) on their back with an AR or Sniper. Then they go into that stunned animation where their ammo explodes. The shield guys later on have a little smaller target to hit, but they get much easier to shoot when they plant their shields.

Or you can set them on fire or electrocute with nades. Using a turret to aggro them while you get behind works too.

But yeah, just unloading with an LMG absolutely works, since the heavies never use cover and your bonus damage from LMG will kick in.

P.S. because aforementioned So is practically addicted, i finally tried survival with him. mother of god. its fun. nerve wracking but fun, especially when you are teamed up. although.. i would NOT recommend going in blind, and instead watch a few guildes at least. becasue it is very VERY easy and fast to die in survival.
    The problem with Survival is that the loot isn't randomized. If you know the map and where things spawn, you can just rush to it, then rush to the dark zone and be done. There's no surviving at that point. It's just a grind for loot. And there's better ways to get loot than Survival.

If Massive wasn't abandoning Division for Division2, I'd say they should have taken the time to program random loot locations, drops, and enemy patrols. That way each new match would be something slightly different. As it is now, once you've done it a handful of times you've seen everything the game mode has to offer, and there's not much reason to go back.

Yeah, you can overpower those guys with raw damage output. Although if you know where to shoot you can ding the little red square(pouch?) on their back with an AR or Sniper. Then they go into that stunned animation where their ammo explodes. The shield guys later on have a little smaller target to hit, but they get much easier to shoot when they plant their shields.

Or you can set them on fire or electrocute with nades. Using a turret to aggro them while you get behind works too.

But yeah, just unloading with an LMG absolutely works, since the heavies never use cover and your bonus damage from LMG will kick in.

The problem with Survival is that the loot isn't randomized. If you know the map and where things spawn, you can just rush to it, then rush to the dark zone and be done. There's no surviving at that point. It's just a grind for loot. And there's better ways to get loot than Survival.

If Massive wasn't abandoning Division for Division2, I'd say they should have taken the time to program random loot locations, drops, and enemy patrols. That way each new match would be something slightly different. As it is now, once you've done it a handful of times you've seen everything the game mode has to offer, and there's not much reason to go back.
    other people are still a variable though, yes, all the spawns are not random, but where you spawn - is. what other people pick up - can vary, so if your planned route was picked clean already - you have to make a new plan. and then of course there's people who realize you are about to extract and rush in, spawning more hunters, and then promptly die, so you are left dealing with your own hunter AND theirs. I suppose eventually at some point it becomes same old and all, but for the moment, its still andrenaliny for me. but yeah, randomizing loot locations along with your drop location would make it a bit more interesting. they are saying that they are not abandoning it yet, there should be new global events coming up some time soon, so who knows.

and yeah, with those big guys, on my PC character its fine, but on my ps4 girl, her gear is still.. well, you know, leveling gear, so i have to be very careful with cover, or they kill me very quickly. usually, I found some sort of cover to kind of skirt around while they are shooting at me, until they go into reloading animation at which point I unload with headshots usually. it can just take some maneuvering, especially when the area I'm in doesn't have a handy elevated, can't climb up to knock it down spot for my turret. its a work in progress. for a moment I considered switching out my healing station for seeker mines (which is my setup on my PC character - turret, seeker mines and recovery link)... but... i'm not quite so good at surviving without that station just yet plus I still need to unlock recovery link :P

aaanyways.

other people are still a variable though, yes, all the spawns are not random, but where you spawn - is. what other people pick up - can vary, so if your planned route was picked clean already - you have to make a new plan. and then of course there's people who realize you are about to extract and rush in, spawning more hunters, and then promptly die, so you are left dealing with your own hunter AND theirs. I suppose eventually at some point it becomes same old and all, but for the moment, its still andrenaliny for me. but yeah, randomizing loot locations along with your drop location would make it a bit more interesting. they are saying that they are not abandoning it yet, there should be new global events coming up some time soon, so who knows.
    I would REALLY like a true solo mode for Survival, with randomized loot and supply locations. No other players. No competing with other players(PVP or not). Just roaming around the city trying to survive. Honestly, that's probably how the game should have been during the leveling process. But I can see why it would have caused problems for the story.

Oh well, we'll see if they learn from the mistakes they made in Division1.

wait. sticky bombs useless? news to me O_O now, i suck at using them personaly, but my SO has been utilizing them VERY effectively. if you aim them well, and spec right, they hit like a bloody truck.

- - - Updated - - -

<3 LMG.

They patched it so they take a few seconds to explode now and if you stick them on an enemy they just pull it off and disarm it. So most switched either to the flame turret or a little ball that splits into half a dozen bombs that roll around and home in on enemies. Sticky Bomb is kind of limiting yourself quite a bit nowadays by taking the weakest skill option with the highest failure rate.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    They patched it so they take a few seconds to explode now and if you stick them on an enemy they just pull it off and disarm it. So most switched either to the flame turret or a little ball that splits into half a dozen bombs that roll around and home in on enemies. Sticky Bomb is kind of limiting yourself quite a bit nowadays by taking the weakest skill option with the highest failure rate.
    flame turret is only really good is you are running firecrest, from my experience. seeker mines are pretty darn amazing. that said... I was literally just playing with my SO and he runs sticky bomb and I haven't noticed it being delayed enough to be disarmed. it does however destroy enemies very VERY quickly. yes, plural. when -aimed well its just... amazing. so i'm guessing given its performance now - that nerf such as it is, was needed. whenever he runs his combo of sticky bomb and seeker mines, i pretty much don't get to do anything other then send my own seeker mines along. it does require aiming well and/or strategic placement. which is why I myself don't use it - not becasue its bad, but rather because i'm bad :P i have seen the kind of nonsense he pulls with sticky bomb though... seems to be working just fine to me.

yeah right now seekers are insane. just wearing a clownsuit of alphabridge and a skill up set i can set it off and watch it run around a corner in the underground on challenge mode and nuke a team and i take out one or two and its ready again.

Sure makes hunters and their bullshit infinite no cooldown heals easy.