Poll: Would you like too see dynamically moving cloaks become a thing?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    No, cloaks will look nothing like that. You want proof? Go to wowhead. That exact armor just got datamined in the beta and the cloaks are not like that. I guess the technology isn't here yet LUL

Quote Originally Posted by MyndZero View Post
    No, cloaks will look nothing like that. You want proof? Go to wowhead. That exact armor just got datamined in the beta and the cloaks are not like that. I guess the technology isn't here yet LUL
    I think even Everquest 2 had it back in the day .

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I think even Everquest 2 had it back in the day .
    Eh? EQ2 cloaks were garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I don't know if dynamic cloaks would work, but a step in the right direction would be a ragged, full-length cloak like the Lich King has.
    As of late cloaks utterly suck.
    I agree they need to do something really cool with cloaks like the OP suggests and cloaks of late have sucked. I think there is room for vast improvement with cloaks and it is certainly time.

According to some of their dataminers, they still need to datamine for the proper cloak mesh. They look too squished anyways, so I doubt the ones on WoWhead are the final product with a slit in the middle.

But I would love to see dynamic cloaks. One of my dreams has been to have a Kael'thas/Maiev style cloak for players, that shrinks back a bit when you cast and do animations, but covers the body for idles.

"Dynamicly" moving armor actually dates back to MoP, monk starting armor belts and some non-tier-related raid cloth belts had this dangling physics added.

WoD applied it to a couple of armor pieces and Legion finally started applying it to much wider selection of not only armor, but also weapons (flails) or NPCs (for example, the female eredar commanders have their tails flapping around, unlike the regular eredar a.k.a. reskinned draenei)

Just as @Swalload said, in order to not make stuff like cloaks not crap would mean much more effort than is probably worth. Unless you're okay with the occasional glitches that you get in pretty much any game that utilizes this. Some more, some less, depending on how the devs handle it, but always ridiculous looking - unstoppable spazzy movements, shooting across the whole screen, clipping through geometry and then remaining stuck in that position...

On the other hand, they seem to be okay with the shitty selfie camera they like to push so much, even with the fact that your Wacraft Shoulderpads™ clip through half of your toon's face, so who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    There is also a ton of clipping in that game.
    I defy you to find an MMORPG that doesn't have clipping.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to see it at some point. Probably won't happen in BfA, but it's still early in the alpha and the datamined armor doesn't look like it's completely finished yet. Who knows what the art department at Blizzard has in store.

Fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2018-03-28 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theoris View Post

- - - Updated - - -

It's still early in the alpha and the datamined armor doesn't look like it's completely finished yet, so who knows what the art department at Blizzard has in store.
    I wasn't saying there is an MMORPG that doesn't have clipping. I was pointing out that constant clipping looks like crap and isn't worth the trade off- at least imo.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfThaWest View Post
    Yeah, here's the image you provided as concept art done in 3D and apparently cloaks are still carpets.

Yay that's really disappointing. Thank you for the images. I mean the cloak looks better than usual, mostly because it's super simple with zero iron shit fake attached (read flat painted) to it. Even the variations look the same.

I wasn't saying there is an MMORPG that doesn't have clipping. I was pointing out that constant clipping looks like crap and isn't worth the trade off- at least imo.
    I might be in a minority, but after playing WoW for so long I almost never notice/care about clipping in games anymore. Depends on what clipping you are referring to, I guess. If it clips through your character and gets stuck and starts wiggling around (like the PvP pennants some times do) I can see the argument for why dynamic cloaks shouldn't be a thing.

Short of that, though... Dynamic cloaks or bust.

I already saw that and I wasn't even arguing. I posted a poll that you and anybody else would feel free to disagree with the idea. This thread isn't about me telling you that the dynamic cloaks were about to 200% happen in the current build.

I might be in a minority, but after playing WoW for so long I almost never notice/care about clipping in games anymore. Depends on what clipping you are referring to, I guess. If it clips through your character and gets stuck and starts wiggling around (like the PvP pennants some times do) I can see the argument for why dynamic cloaks shouldn't be a thing.

Short of that, though... Dynamic cloaks or bust.
    Bastila Shan set.

I farmed for a long time to be able to but it off the GTN and the clipping is INSANE. 100% uptime on clipping. So I might be biased on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceOmikron View Post
    I'd like it if we got back armor pieces that aren't necessarily cloaks/capes. Like backpacks and Pandaren brew kegs and stuff like that.
    Yeah!!! And maybe attach cloth and leather pieces that actually MOVES. I would take that sa a great compromise. I mean the equip slot even says it is reserved to BACK, not a cloak. You could wear a lot on that new straight orc backs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    dynamic stuff is bad idea
    How so? I didn't even properly defined the word. It can also mean just more variety to the cloak meshes and better (moving & idle) animations.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    It does. I don't see what's wrong with that kind of animation. I wouldn't mind even if it clipped a bit.
    I wouldn’t either. At worst, we can just hide them again like a lot of us already do with the current capes.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfThaWest View Post
    Yeah, here's the image you provided as concept art done in 3D and apparently cloaks are still carpets.

That's not the same set, the correct set is the warfront tier 3 (shown on a night elf right now):

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I don't know if dynamic cloaks would work, but a step in the right direction would be a ragged, full-length cloak like the Lich King has.
    As of late cloaks utterly suck.
    this 100%. there is another example of this, and again it is also on arthas. take a look at the cloak he is wearing in culling of stratholme instance. Same thing. Shoulder pad cloak. Wish our cloaks were like that rather than the curtains we get hanging from the back of our neck.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Bastila Shan set.
    *Googles*

Actually yes, I can see why that would be annoying. This one especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Louz View Post
    "Dynamicly" moving armor actually dates back to MoP, monk starting armor belts and some non-tier-related raid cloth belts had this dangling physics added.

WoD applied it to a couple of armor pieces and Legion finally started applying it to much wider selection of not only armor, but also weapons (flails) or NPCs (for example, the female eredar commanders have their tails flapping around, unlike the regular eredar a.k.a. reskinned draenei)

Just as @Swalload said, in order to not make stuff like cloaks not crap would mean much more effort than is probably worth. Unless you're okay with the occasional glitches that you get in pretty much any game that utilizes this. Some more, some less, depending on how the devs handle it, but always ridiculous looking - unstoppable spazzy movements, shooting across the whole screen, clipping through geometry and then remaining stuck in that position...

On the other hand, they seem to be okay with the shitty selfie camera they like to push so much, even with the fact that your Wacraft Shoulderpads™ clip through half of your toon's face, so who knows
    I remember examining those monk rope belts really closely back in the day and they seemed just manually animated. They were moving even when you standed still as they would be breathing or what. But yeah, I also think it was maybe the testing ground and a hint for the better moving gear parts that came later with WoD. I mean there were some moving weapons even in the pre-BC era!
    Last edited by Big Mama; 2018-03-28 at 07:18 AM.

i like the idea of the dynamic cloak

Quote Originally Posted by Caaethil View Post
    That's not the same set, the correct set is the warfront tier 3 (shown on a night elf right now):

Okay this at least looks somewhat clever. The cloth being stretched through the shoulderpads and another cloth piece covering the upper chest. The shoulderpads are probably just a standalone piece. Actually I doubt it's anything else. But at least I like the illusion they created. I wonder if the chest cloth is just painted over the chest or if it's really part of the cloak mesh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Utigarde View Post
    According to some of their dataminers, they still need to datamine for the proper cloak mesh. They look too squished anyways, so I doubt the ones on WoWhead are the final product with a slit in the middle.

But I would love to see dynamic cloaks. One of my dreams has been to have a Kael'thas/Maiev style cloak for players, that shrinks back a bit when you cast and do animations, but covers the body for idles.
    I wonder how that mesh will look like. I mean the icons show the two cloaks should cover more than the tier 1 cloak.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to see it at some point. Probably won't happen in BfA, but it's still early in the alpha and the datamined armor doesn't look like it's completely finished yet. Who knows what the art department at Blizzard has in store.

Me as well. The game came to the point when even the best design can't make up for the model / lack of animations problems.